House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Ebay.... What.the.hell?

Wow. An ebay buyer asks to cancel a transaction 4 days after winning and paying for it, if the item hadn't shipped. I shipped the item already, so couldn't cancel and let the buyer know. Instead of accepting the situation, the buyer then opens a case with ebay, claims I didn't reply, and states the item was never delivered. This is despite a USPS tracking # proving the item was successfully delivered.

So after all this, what do you think Ebay does?

Ebay gave this buyer a full refund including shipping. No, really. This lying **** gets the item, plus a refund of the amount paid for it PLUS postage.

And the icing on the cake? Since Ebay no longer allow sellers to give buyers negative feedback, I have no recourse whatsoever. This scammer can leave me negative feedback and I have no ability to respond.

Ebay.... you can get stuffed. Bigger companies have disappeared for lesser mistakes. Treat your sellers like that, and you won't last for long.

/end rant

Wow. An ebay buyer asks to cancel a transaction 4 days after winning and paying for it, if the item hadn't shipped. I shipped the item already, so couldn't cancel and let the buyer know. Instead of accepting the situation, the buyer then opens a case with ebay, claims I didn't reply, and states the item was never delivered. This is despite a USPS tracking # proving the item was successfully delivered.

So after all this, what do you think Ebay does?

Ebay gave this buyer a full refund including shipping. No, really. This lying **** gets the item, plus a refund of the amount paid for it PLUS postage.

And the icing on the cake? Since Ebay no longer allow sellers to give buyers negative feedback, I have no recourse whatsoever. This scammer can leave me negative feedback and I have no ability to respond.

Ebay.... you can get stuffed. Bigger companies have disappeared for lesser mistakes. Treat your sellers like that, and you won't last for long.

/end rant

Did you reply, on ebay, to the original case, giving the tracking number?

I haven't sold anything on eBay for years for similar reasons - and it sounds like its got worse since then. As a buyer I got scammed once too often as well and only buy low value unlikely to attract scammers goods there now too.

I think they aren't really interested in the little guy trying to flog their unwanted stuff anymore.

I know someone who's sent a vase to China and he's (the buyer) saying it hasn't been delivered.

Probably should have worked out he was a nobhead before sending as arguing over postage charges.

If you have the buyers address, and the tracking number, report the buyer for fraud.

it will probably get nowhere, but a visit from the police might scare them anyway.

Them getting scared doesn`t help..

I was defrauded for an item valued at £500...had the police involved, followed correct procedures, all to no avail. Paypal and E bay are as one..will never use them again. Google Paypal problems and E Bay problems..they are both fine..until they are not then they drop you like a stone. !! beware.

Similar situation - got stressed dealing with it. Followed all the procedures correctly. Buyer then admitted receiving item but said it was not as described. Rubbish but he got the goods and a refund. No more ebay for me. I am not a big seller so I now use local gumtree and recently got a few good sales through a local facebook group. Buyers come to you, see the items, try to negotiate, hand over cash & leave. So much easier & friendlier.

Ebay seem more concerned with the outlet stores from big companies now.

A relative who used it a lot sold his second hand car on it, didn't get payment and no help from eBay or PayPal so stopped using it; hearing that meant I never started using it.

Treat your sellers like that, and you won't last for long.

Small-scale sellers and/or those selling high value items might not last long. One thing I've noticed on Ebay over the last couple of years is that the sellers are increasingly larger retail businesses using the site as a sales portal, and that individuals flogging the odd bit of unwanted stuff are becoming less common. I suspect that the experience you've had is part of the reason. The bigger businesses regard the cost of an incident like this as just another cost of doing business, factored in to their overall planning, and worth it for the sales that Ebay generates. For the smaller ones, using Ebay is just becoming too risky.

Similar situation - got stressed dealing with it. Followed all the procedures correctly. Buyer then admitted receiving item but said it was not as described. Rubbish but he got the goods and a refund. No more ebay for me. I am not a big seller so I now use local gumtree and recently got a few good sales through a local facebook group. Buyers come to you, see the items, try to negotiate, hand over cash & leave. So much easier & friendlier.

Yes, it is hard to find a private seller now! I have bought some quite expensive items via EBay and never had a problem! Not sure I would use it much now.

It would appear the field is open for a new site for small sellers.

Only occasionally use ebay, not had a bad experience yet with it however it does appear there is a good scamming potential which unfortunately a few have got wise too.

I have had more non payers on Ebay in the last 6-12 months than in the previous 11 years of using it. Im getting very disillusioned with it but the fact remains that its really the only place to unload niche kit like i sell from time to time.

Gumtree is fine for more mainstream stuff however. And you're always likely to be 10-15% up as well.

I also had a seller flog me some fake aftershave and the ******* got away with it.

I even got a rollocking from Ebay for leaving him a neg. Which then got deleted. I did notice that he was also flogging 2 ex rental houses for hundreds of thousands on there so i always figured they decided to follow the money.

Left me piss boiling mad for at least a fortnight. Cost was only 12 quid but it was hard letting that one go.

Their money back guarantee is complete and utter cobblers from start to finish.

+1

Had one guy on Gumtree saying could I sell an item to him via Ebay (WTF?). I said no.

Gumtree is like selling stuff on classified, people come round, examine, haggle and take it away. None of this remote distance rubbish.

1391289056[/url]' post='1102459552']

I have had more non payers on Ebay in the last 6-12 months than in the previous 11 years of using it. Im getting very disillusioned with it but the fact remains that its really the only place to unload niche kit like i sell from time to time.

Gumtree is fine for more mainstream stuff however. And you're always likely to be 10-15% up as well.

I also had a seller flog me some fake aftershave and the ******* got away with it.

I even got a rollocking from Ebay for leaving him a neg. Which then got deleted. I did notice that he was also flogging 2 ex rental houses for hundreds of thousands on there so i always figured they decided to follow the money.

Left me piss boiling mad for at least a fortnight. Cost was only 12 quid but it was hard letting that one go.

Their money back guarantee is complete and utter cobblers from start to finish.

If I bought aftershave from eBay, I would expect it to be fake. As a matter of interest what was the tell tale sign.

A new site would be good, preferably one that doesn't use paypal.

As a buyer, I'm afraid that I always look for e-retailing sites that do take Paypal. In about a decade of using Paypal, I have never had a transaction go wrong. I'd never link anything other than a credit card to it, though.

Increasingly, paying for things online using a credit or debit card directly is becoming a bigger hassle. Transactions are frequently declined for no good reason, and then there's the hassle of remembering the second, fifth and eighth digits of your password for the secondary verification process. A couple of months ago a block was placed on my card after two failed transaction attempts (I simply tried again after the first attempt), and it was an hour-long hassle on hold to a call centre before it was sorted out. Say what you like about Paypal, but it doesn't give you that cr@p - just one username and password needed.

As a buyer, I'm afraid that I always look for e-retailing sites that do take Paypal. In about a decade of using Paypal, I have never had a transaction go wrong. I'd never link anything other than a credit card to it, though.

Increasingly, paying for things online using a credit or debit card directly is becoming a bigger hassle. Transactions are frequently declined for no good reason, and then there's the hassle of remembering the second, fifth and eighth digits of your password for the secondary verification process. A couple of months ago a block was placed on my card after two failed transaction attempts (I simply tried again after the first attempt), and it was an hour-long hassle on hold to a call centre before it was sorted out. Say what you like about Paypal, but it doesn't give you that cr@p - just one username and password needed.

I have a very poor view of paypal. I had a mysterious payment of over £800 leave my PP account. I had not authorised it, knew nothing except the money was gone. Long story short - account got hacked. PP were aware of this, had happened to others too. They were unbelievably hard to contact - communication was awful & it took 3 weeks to get the money back. I'd rather they had better security.

I use a pre paid card with limited funds for online shopping, just in case. I do still have to remember my verified by visa though but I do a lot of online spending so it's easy remembered.

I have a very poor view of paypal. I had a mysterious payment of over £800 leave my PP account. I had not authorised it, knew nothing except the money was gone. Long story short - account got hacked. PP were aware of this, had happened to others too. They were unbelievably hard to contact - communication was awful & it took 3 weeks to get the money back. I'd rather they had better security.

I use a pre paid card with limited funds for online shopping, just in case. I do still have to remember my verified by visa though but I do a lot of online spending so it's easy remembered.

I buy one or two things online each year absolute max so have to guess (usually incorrectly), add in Noscript and that verified by Visa just doesn't work.

Result: ten minutes on the phone each time ascertaining the status of the transaction and then making the payment on the phone.

I buy one or two things online each year absolute max so have to guess (usually incorrectly), add in Noscript and that verified by Visa just doesn't work.

Result: ten minutes on the phone each time ascertaining the status of the transaction and then making the payment on the phone.

:) If I knew what Noscript was I could reply ...

:) If I knew what Noscript was I could reply ...

Firefox add-on that disables scripting, you can allow it individually for pages but the verification software then chucks you out and you have to re-enter everything. Then you get the same on the next page etc.

Usually Noscript is great, pages load faster, no pop-ups, no viruses, but when you get to these secure processes they can't cope with their scripts not working first time.

Firefox add-on that disables scripting, you can allow it individually for pages but the verification software then chucks you out and you have to re-enter everything. Then you get the same on the next page etc.

Usually Noscript is great, pages load faster, no pop-ups, no viruses, but when you get to these secure processes they can't cope with their scripts not working first time.

Thanks, that must have been what my son initially added to my firefox and later disabled for me. I knew it sounded familiar.