House Price Crash Forum
Byron

Rbs Computers Still Not Working

My daughter called into RBS today to transfer money from her account to a friends.

Could not be done because the computer is down.

My daughter called into RBS today to transfer money from her account to a friends.

Could not be done because the computer is down.

I had some transfers from my One Account that appeared to be held up. Looks like they've gone through now.

I do wonder just what it will take before people start switching to other banks?

I know there is the argument that they are all crap, but if the banks see an exodus of customers from a bank with failing IT, then they might start to see some sense in upgrading their own 1960 mainframes.

I do wonder just what it will take before people start switching to other banks?

I know there is the argument that they are all crap, but if the banks see an exodus of customers from a bank with failing IT, then they might start to see some sense in upgrading their own 1960 mainframes.

Exactly, my daughter is switching.

Unfortunately, when she went into Barclays, they told her that the person handling such matters is on leave and gave her an appointment one week ahead!

I will laugh long and hard when these institutions realize they have become irrelevant.

When they can't even provide basic services, despite continued billions being pumped into them, you know their time has passed.

Since high Street banking pretty much IS exclusively an IT service these days, then you wouldn't give those with bad IT much chance in future

Ergo when you choose a bank you are choosing an IT service to account for your liquid wealth without stashing it in a mattress

Exactly, my daughter is switching.

Unfortunately, when she went into Barclays, they told her that the person handling such matters is on leave and gave her an appointment one week ahead!

Interesting, I tried to switch to Barckays this week using the online switching system. They made a mess of it, so now I'm not switching, but they gave me £70 anyway.

Since high Street banking pretty much IS exclusively an IT service these days, then you wouldn't give those with bad IT much chance in future

Ergo when you choose a bank you are choosing an IT service to account for your liquid wealth without stashing it in a mattress

RBS has moved most of its IT operations to its India Campus now. So expect things to get even worse.

It's the BOI now.

I would say that you have to differentiate between a genuine glitch that produces an outage of a couple of hours, and the sort of thing that takes the system down for more than a day. NO IT support company offering a Service Level Agreement would allow an outage (dreadful American term) of longer than a couple of hours, so IMHO, there is something devious going on if the systems are supposedly "down" for more than a few hours.

If customers can't get anything out of the ATM machines, the bank can put the money on deposit with the BOE and make a lot of money on it. I'm not saying the banks would do that deliberately...

snip

If customers can't get anything out of the ATM machines, the bank can put the money on deposit with the BOE and make a lot of money on it.

huh?