House Price Crash Forum

Scale Of Nhs Financial Crisis Revealed Amid Looming Staff Cuts

I'm sure there are problems within the organisation, but I what I do know well is that the large pharmaceutical companies are prone to massively profiteer from medication and charge extortionate sums.

And covering R&D costs don't justify it as the companies insist. Much of the R&D and trials are funded by govt and the NHS, and if they succeed the companies then go on to gain the huge profits and attempt to exploit health services, in the UK and abroad.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are problems within the organisation, but I what I do know well is that the large pharmaceutical companies are prone to massively profiteer from medication and charge extortionate sums.

And covering R&D costs don't justify it as the companies insist. Much of the R&D and trials are funded by govt and the NHS, and if they succeed the companies then go on to gain the huge profits and attempt to exploit health services, in the UK and abroad.

Maybe this doesn't matter in practical terms, but what troubles me about them is that in principal its in their interest to keep us paying for being sick. In that sense R&D being funded by government and NHS seems preferable. I take your point about extortionate profits however.

Hmm, another insider argument - NHS being pillaged by the big pharma.

The drug bill is nothing compared to they staffing costs.

Another argument is paying out profit to the private sector is wasting health money.

DO you want Tesco to run the NHS they scream.

Tesco's profit is about 5%.

My local hospital has an average absence rate of 35 days a year.

Nothing wrong with the people. There's an ingrained culture that you take a couple of days off every couple of weeks.

Another argument is paying out profit to the private sector is wasting health money.

Nothing wrong with the people. There's an ingrained culture that you take a couple of days off every couple of weeks.

Wow .. And we aren't even talking pensions yet..

1391412052[/url]' post='1102460275']

Could that be down to working in an environment that's rich in germs/disease?

...not saying all this is all true, but worth a listen. ;)

1391371211[/url]' post='1102460080']

It should be perfectly obvious....they are paying that much because they have managed to capture such a massive share of the UK's income.

Thus it demonstrates the total failure of our neoliberal economy in terms of having a meritocratic system where you can strive and get ahead, and where the rewards for such striving are widely shared. Heck this whole site is built on one of those concepts. That no matter how hard a young person works nowadays they have next to zero chance of owning his own home.

Comprendre?

My wife recently had an interview with one of the largest private health care providers. Wages were about a £1 higher than minimum wage, however for the privilege of earning this she had to:

• Work entirely in the secure unit with sometimes violent/abusive patients (she'd done this type of work before & didn't relish a return).
  • Work unsociable hours.
  • Pay for her own CRB check.
  • Fund the first weeks induction training herself (totally unpaid).

I heard this sort of stuff was happening at places like Amazon but really didn't expect it from this company.

My wife recently had an interview with one of the largest private health care providers. Wages were about a £1 higher than minimum wage, however for the privilege of earning this she had to:

• Work entirely in the secure unit with sometimes violent/abusive patients (she'd done this type of work before & didn't relish a return).
  • Work unsociable hours.
  • Pay for her own CRB check.
  • Fund the first weeks induction training herself (totally unpaid).

I heard this sort of stuff was happening at places like Amazon but really didn't expect it from this company.

think about the "gold plated" pension of aprox £3k a year, that makes it all worth while, doesn't it?

it irritates me when people go on about the NHS "high wages", i think that they are either stupid, or haven't thought things through properly. a lot of people working for the NHS would be paid more in ASDA, with better working conditions plus 10% off your shopping.

If the staff had a good union in the past, or probably just had more male workers, the wages would be a lot higher.

as it is, we have to got to a point where society accepts that nurses get paid on par with postmen and a self employed plumber/electrician can earn the same as a cardiac surgeon.

Edited by eejit

as it is, we have to got to a point where society accepts that nurses get paid on par with postmen and a self employed plumber/electrician can earn the same as a cardiac surgeon.

90% of self employed plumber and electrician earn less 30k.

With no pension.

And very very high overheads.

With no pension.

The average nurses salary is £31,000 plus employers pension contribution, plus taxpayer guarantee to cover the inevitable shortfall.

Average postman by the way...£21,000

average nurses pay was just under £31,000 in 2012 plus about £15,000 in pension rights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10331691/NHS-employers-make-plea-for-a-pay-freeze-to-save-jobs.html

....Looked at an agency that provided care workers, to care for sick, disabled and elderly people in their homes as well as in private and public homes.....long hours, few benefits, very poor pay......someone must be making plenty of money out of public money.....not the people doing the hard front-line, necessary, stressful, responsible work. ;)

....Looked at an agency that provided care workers, to care for sick, disabled and elderly people in their homes as well as in private and public homes.....long hours, few benefits, very poor pay......someone must be making plenty of money out of public money.....not the people doing the hard front-line, necessary, stressful, responsible work. ;)

Going back to your previous post there is a general assumption that the self employed are making a lot of money in the public sector.

We had the example of an electrician making the same as a GP, do people in the public sector really believe that or are they numerically illiterate !!!!!!!!!!!

I think they probably think the van like the ambulance is provided by George Osborne, as is the public liability insurance, the trade subscriptions, the diesel. And the holiday pay and pension comes from the magic money tree too.

The last time I had an electrician out a few weeks back to change a light switch the total charge was £17.50 including materials. The guy was 45 minutes late because he was stuck in the Nottingham traffic.

There is a very good reason why self employed people only make £10,500 per year. Even if you are highly skilled and working 60 hours a week you would have a job to pull in £31,000 and that doesn't include a pension.

Edited by crashmonitor

Going back to your previous post there is a general assumption that the self employed are making a lot of money in the public sector.

We had the example of an electrician making the same as a GP, do people in the public sector really believe that or are they numerically illiterate !!!!!!!!!!!

I think they probably think the van like the ambulance is provided by George Osborne, as is the public liability insurance, the trade subscriptions, the diesel. And the holiday pay and pension comes from the magic money tree too.

The last time I had an electrician out a few weeks back to change a light switch the total charge was £17.50 including materials. The guy was 45 minutes late because he was stuck in the Nottingham traffic.

There is a very good reason why self employed people only make £10,500 per year. Even if you are highly skilled and working 60 hours a week you would have a job to pull in £31,000 and that doesn't include a pension.

I agree.....then you can understand why 1. People choose not to go SE. 2. Most employed people could not earn enough being SE 3. Could not handle the pressure or uncertainty of it, or have the appropriate skills 4. the system does not value, work for, understand or encourage people to become SE. ;)

...different topic....but I wonder what the company house statistics are for new LTDs over the last 10 years?

With no pension.

that puts their day rate at about £120, or £30 labor for a two hour job, give me his number, as i need a diverter valve changing in my combi.

also, i have worked as a postie, and would earn aprox £27k for full time nights. (full time = 30 hrs per week in the building)

think about the "gold plated" pension of aprox £3k a year, that makes it all worth while, doesn't it?

Got anything to back that up? Someone working in the NHS for around 30 years would need to have a salary of £8,000 to end up with a pension of £3k pa.

Quoted figures such as an average pension of £3k are skewed by people who only work in the NHS for a few years and so don't accrue a lot of pension.

In today's pension environment, NHS pensions are as "gold plated" as you're gonna get.