House Price Crash Forum
Maynardgravy

Postcode War As Hounslow Residents Fight For Richmond Address

Evening Standard

A postcode war has been waged by residents fighting for a Richmond address instead of a Hounslow one.

People living in Whitton, a town in the leafy and affluent borough of Richmond-Upon-Thames, are angry that their TW3 postcode classes them in the neighbouring, more deprived borough of Hounslow.

They say that this affects everything from house prices to insurance premiums and have petitioned the Royal Mail to change it.

Kim Tasso, 53, said: “My daughter goes to a Richmond school, we pay council tax to Richmond council, the police consider us a Richmond address, yet when I put ‘Whitton’ as my address my post arrives two days late, with ‘Whitton’ crossed out by the Post Office and ‘Hounslow’ written in its place.

“I know there are people who think I’m being snobbish but frankly whether I had to put Chiswick or Westminster or anything else other than a Richmond postcode as my address I would be just as irritated.........

......“I don’t know anyone who would turn down the offer of a Richmond postcode instead of a Hounslow one, if it would suddenly increase the cost of their home by £20,000 or more. Snob or no snob, no one would say no to that.”

According to the property valuation website Zoopla, the average house in Hounslow is worth £294,020, while the average house in Whitton is £423,982. In Richmond-based Twickenham the average property is £567,071.

GDP Problem sorted then - give the whole of the UK a knightsbridge postcode and you can easily slap 100k on the asking price. Job done.

GDP Problem sorted then - give the whole of the UK a knightsbridge postcode and you can easily slap 100k on the asking price. Job done.

You could be onto something...

I bet someone in the square mile is organising a postcode futures market as we speak.

I'm house-sitting in Whitton and it's postcoded in two parts. TW3 which is a Hounslow postcode address and TW2 which is a Twickenham postcode address. As I live right by Twickenham Rugby Stadium, I'd guess that's why it's a TW2 Twickenham postcode as the Rugby-ites wouldn't want to have to re-slogan to "Whitton the HOME of Rugby". Whitton falls under the London Borough of Richmond for council tax, but that's where the similarity to Richmond ends. Richmond is fantastic, Whitton is anything but. It's chav central and drab. It's the sort of place people bought into because, like most people, they couldn't afford Richmond or the neighbouring nicer areas. Deal with it!

Interesting - in Britain, snobbery is organised by postcode; in America it's by phone code. The inhabitants of this part of the world are nicknamed 909ers, we've even inspired our own

, and when the code was split into two about 20 years ago, I'm told that champagne bottles were popped when the inhabitants of the cities just to the south of here discovered that they were getting a new area code (doubtless anticipating a house price boost).

Kim Tasso, 53, said: “My daughter goes to a Richmond school, we pay council tax to Richmond council, the police consider us a Richmond address, yet when I put ‘Whitton’ as my address my post arrives two days late, with ‘Whitton’ crossed out by the Post Office and ‘Hounslow’ written in its place.

Hmmm... I'm no expert, but I think I know what you could do to make your post arrive quicker....

Edited by Eddie_George

Some people have empty lives.

They could spend some of that emptyness working out that Richmond Borough Council charge £200 more on council tax band D (average house) than Hounslow Council.

I'd rather be part of Hounslow Council, but what do I know, I'm just a Whitton renter.

To be honest I don't blame them why should you pay Richmond council and get stiched up with a Hounslow address. It's technically a sub area of twickenham like st Margaret's and strawberry hill.

I live in central whitton and I think its great, decent roads, good access, nice houses and a high street that is being refurbished. Depends what part I suppose like all areas border roads with feltham and isleworth near mogden aren't the nicest.

I have lived in teddington, Hampton and hounslow (over 25 years) most of my life but I think where I am now its not a bad place to be. I'd be trying to get hounslow of my address as well.

Still fancy strawberry hill at some point :)

I'm house-sitting in Whitton and it's postcoded in two parts. TW3 which is a Hounslow postcode address and TW2 which is a Twickenham postcode address. As I live right by Twickenham Rugby Stadium, I'd guess that's why it's a TW2 Twickenham postcode as the Rugby-ites wouldn't want to have to re-slogan to "Whitton the HOME of Rugby". Whitton falls under the London Borough of Richmond for council tax, but that's where the similarity to Richmond ends. Richmond is fantastic, Whitton is anything but. It's chav central and drab. It's the sort of place people bought into because, like most people, they couldn't afford Richmond or the neighbouring nicer areas. Deal with it!

The border with whitton and twick is the river crane/duke don't think it's the rugby ground proximity. That's by Kendry gardens. Part of the rugby ground is in isleworth.