House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bradbury Robinson

Any Wordpress Gurus?

Not even sure if what I want to do is possible but hopefully some of the experts here will know!

I'm setting up a wordpress.org install and have it currently configured, via a plugin, to auto-post to twitter. Facebook then copies Twitter content and Google+ is fed via an RSS feed.

The blog is going to have daily content but I also want to create a number of templates which will be reused at given times and would like them to include the main wordpress content and, if possible, the Twitter plugin content.

Looking around I have found that you can schedule posts in advance, handy but I would still have to be creating content regularly for these. Also found that you can repost and old post, still requiring manual intervention.

What I'm looking for is some way of fully automating this so the templates can just be sent on their own and leave time to create the manual content.

Anybody have any ideas if this is possible?

No, you can't do this.

Also, on a content side rather than a technical one, it is the death of any blog if you keep sending out old content to people via twitter and FB. Once they have clicked on the same article link once or twice, only to find old content that they have already read, they will find it annoying and simply stop following you.

Also, if you send the same link url out to twitter then twitter will eventually drop you from the feed. You will still be seeing the twits in the feed and think tht everyone else can but, nope, they won't be there. You need to use several different url shorterners to 'spam' the same url via twitter.

Not even sure if what I want to do is possible but hopefully some of the experts here will know!

I'm setting up a wordpress.org install and have it currently configured, via a plugin, to auto-post to twitter. Facebook then copies Twitter content and Google+ is fed via an RSS feed.

The blog is going to have daily content but I also want to create a number of templates which will be reused at given times and would like them to include the main wordpress content and, if possible, the Twitter plugin content.

Looking around I have found that you can schedule posts in advance, handy but I would still have to be creating content regularly for these. Also found that you can repost and old post, still requiring manual intervention.

What I'm looking for is some way of fully automating this so the templates can just be sent on their own and leave time to create the manual content.

Anybody have any ideas if this is possible?

Yes it is but you'll probably have to get your hands dirty in some coding as well as rig up a cron job. I do something similar for one of my sites, it scrapes some data, manipulates it and then posts it the blog - the cron job runs the script daily. If you want to have a go, this the place to start:

http://codex.wordpress.org/XML-RPC_Support

Another option to perhaps make it easier is that there is a email plugin for Wordpress so you can email a post to Wordpress. Personally, I found this route a little unreliable. Sometimes it fires off twice or not at all. There is a duplicate post plugin which can help cure this.

Alternatively, you could use something like Ubot to automate a post to the blog - and set up with something like Windows scheduler. If you are used to more point and click and don't mind spending a bit of cash - you might find it easier.

As the masked Tulip says (great to have you back btw), posting the same crap all of the time won't go down well, but the odd reminder or if you can tweak it somehow would be OK. There is also a question of balance, for example I don't suppose anyone would mind an automated Xmas post every year, but a buy my crap everyday would surely annoy.

Thanks all, some good points to be going on with there. I think the best option in the short term might be to scale back the number of templates I wanted to post and just do some manually for the time being with one of the options available.

I don't might digging around in code and having a go but I'm a lot comfier with more technical plugins and extensions if I'm honest.

Thanks all, some good points to be going on with there. I think the best option in the short term might be to scale back the number of templates I wanted to post and just do some manually for the time being with one of the options available.

It's never a bad idea to try something manually for a while before looking to automate it. It allows you to spot potential pitfalls as well work exactly what you want to automate as well how much time you might save.