House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Thinking Of Getting A Laptop / Ultrabook

I would not bother with the Lenovo. We have tried them a couple of times and they were universally hated and probably contributed to the Mac invasion. Smaller very high res screens are easier to read. Currently have a Fujitsu Lifebook running linux. Built like a tank but a bit easy to make the cursor jump by resting hands on the pad while typing. Feedback on the Lenovo is that while its spec looks good on paper it does not live up to the billing and the extra battery sticks out like a wart from the back - condemned as plug ugly in the office.

I would not bother with the Lenovo. We have tried them a couple of times and they were universally hated and probably contributed to the Mac invasion. Smaller very high res screens are easier to read. Currently have a Fujitsu Lifebook running linux. Built like a tank but a bit easy to make the cursor jump by resting hands on the pad while typing. Feedback on the Lenovo is that while its spec looks good on paper it does not live up to the billing and the extra battery sticks out like a wart from the back - condemned as plug ugly in the office.

I had been reading that Lenovo appear to have a wifi issue as well. Scrubbed off the list.

The only other option I like an Asus.

Asus V550CA Touch Laptop

I sold some ultrabooks to a client who had to have the latest...stopped using them as the very thin design meant they were uncomfortable to hold unless you sat them on a desk.

Just seen a mate with the Worlds lightest by vaio....has the same stupid sharp edges...but it is very light and fast.

Screen resolution?

How come everyone was telling me Lenovo were great on my laptop thread?

(I still haven't bought one)

There are two types of Lenovo.

The high end ones are basically spawn of the old IBM Thinkpads - and were up until at least a couple of years ago, still highly recommended.

The low end ones are no better than Acer and the like.

Lenovo obviously decided a few years back they wanted to capitalise on their good name by offering a down market offering as well. The result, as always, is confusion and dilution of the value of the brand.

FREE DELIVERY MSI GP60 20D-448XUK i7-4800MQ 1TB SSHD 8GB Nv GTX 740M 2GB Graphics Without OS

Or then there's maybe an MSI one.

I can remember someone on here mentioning MSI having good build quality, had a couple of their motherboards in the past.

Probably me then. I bought an end of line one. 15.6 inch full HD 1920 screen, 8GB Ram, i5 chip (plenty adequate). No SSD disk (but these don't seem to last). I got it from Scan in Bolton. ( I have no connection with Scan ). The screen is really good, that's where it scores over a budget model, and proper GPU so the graphics don't eat into the system RAM. Nice keyboard too! I am a Luddite in the age of fondle-tablets.

Have got a Samsung series 5 laptop. It comes preloaded with bloatware that appears to have no function whatsoever and that slows down boot up massively. It also interferes with Google Chrome, such that it doesn't launch properly. Or at all. Took me ages to work out what the problem was (I'm not a tecchie) and delete all that crap. And don't even get me started on the cluster****** that is Windows 8,,,

It's actually an OK laptop; decent build quality and a good screen. It just pisses me off that I had to spend AGES getting it sorted to make it an OK laptop. For the money it should be an OK laptop straight out of the box (I'm not a tecchie...).

Some of the high end ultrabooks with i5 or i7 processors can't run the processors at full speed or can only do so for very short periods due to heating.

I have an MSI wind with must be at least 5 years old, I don't really like it but it has lasted and taken a lot of abuse over the years. I do development on it on the train.

Have got a Samsung series 5 laptop. It comes preloaded with bloatware that appears to have no function whatsoever and that slows down boot up massively. It also interferes with Google Chrome, such that it doesn't launch properly. Or at all. Took me ages to work out what the problem was (I'm not a tecchie) and delete all that crap. And don't even get me started on the cluster****** that is Windows 8,,,

It's actually an OK laptop; decent build quality and a good screen. It just pisses me off that I had to spend AGES getting it sorted to make it an OK laptop. For the money it should be an OK laptop straight out of the box (I'm not a tecchie...).

Yes the first thing to do is reload the Windows ( I assume it is windows) from a clean disk, and then get the appropriate drivers, without the crudware.

Yes the first thing to do is reload the Windows ( I assume it is windows) from a clean disk, and then get the appropriate drivers, without the crudware.

Actually the first thing I should've done was to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7. The problems with the bloatware were as nothing compared to the nightmare of trying to cope with Windows 8 constantly trying to stop me doing any productive work (not to mention it making my shiny new laptop look like a Fisher-Price toy). It has to be the best advert for Apple that Microsoft have yet produced....

Actually the first thing I should've done was to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7. The problems with the bloatware were as nothing compared to the nightmare of trying to cope with Windows 8 constantly trying to stop me doing any productive work (not to mention it making my shiny new laptop look like a Fisher-Price toy). It has to be the best advert for Apple that Microsoft have yet produced....

The few I've played around with at work I've installed this http://www.classicshell.net/ and the users just use the old school shell. Not heard any complaints from them.

The license sticker on the machine should be valid for Win7. MS usually usually lets you install one step behind, with the same key. Vista keys were valid for XP for instamce.

Although if you have a "Home Premium" key it will not let you install "professional". Anyone tried this Win7 upgrade from Win8?

The license sticker on the machine should be valid for Win7. MS usually usually lets you install one step behind, with the same key. Vista keys were valid for XP for instamce.

Although if you have a "Home Premium" key it will not let you install "professional". Anyone tried this Win7 upgrade from Win8?

Thanks, that is a useful bit of info.

Thanks, that is a useful bit of info.

Only if I am correct! Otherwise I an just another "secondary orifice orator"! :blink: That is why I asked if anyone tried this! I haven't! Can anyone verify my assertation?

Only if I am correct! Otherwise I an just another "secondary orifice orator"! :blink: That is why I asked if anyone tried this! I haven't! Can anyone verify my assertation?

I haven't got a laptop to try this on.

However if you have something like Paragon Drive Backup you can back up your entire HDD and reinstall if your feeling brave enough to try this....