House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AvidFan

Peak Car

Certainly for city dwellers working in towns. Why pay to run something you don't need. If I were in London I wouldn't bothered with one! I would be so rich I would go to Tesco in a helicopter, just for a catering sized tin of caviar for the cat!

In the 80's I thought "peak car" was coming soon, so I stuck with a motorbike, until I fell off in the snow, and purchased a 15 year old Volvo that very week.

IIRC miles travelled by car in this country peaked in 2008.

I'd like to see it decline and go.back to the 50s when motoring was a privilege and, more importantly, a pleasure.

If I were in London I wouldn't bothered with one!

I couldn't have done without a car when I was living in London. I mean the tube is so filthy and unreliable that I only used it if I had no other choice and besides how else should I have done my weekly grocery shopping (by bus? You must be kidding), come how late at night from clubs (night buses are way to much hassle when you are used to a car), or enjoyed spontaneous weekends away (far cheaper by car than by train).

You can live well in Zurich without a car (as public transport is excellent and on top of that cheaper than in London), but in London no way.

IIRC miles travelled by car in this country peaked in 2008.

I'd like to see it decline and go.back to the 50s when motoring was a privilege and, more importantly, a pleasure.

Well, I'm certainly doing less miles now, and I won't be driving to buy "stuff" now that the Internet is here. Probably the only exception is clothes shopping.