House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Jamie Oliver To Close 3 Out Of 4 Union Jack Restaurants

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/456584/Jamie-Oliver-to-close-three-out-of-four-Union-Jacks-restaurants-due-to-tough-climate

Tweets appeared from the restaurant announcing the closure of branches in Chiswick and Holborn in London, as well as the outlet in Winchester, Hampshire.

The chain's Covent Branch will be the only remaining restaurant.

The tweets read: "It's no secret that the industry has been affected by the tough climate & a proposal has been made to close UJ Chiswick, Holborn&Winchester.

"We'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone,we have loved meeting you all. Please do pop along to our Covent Garden Piazza restaurant."

A recorded telephone message at the Holborn branch said: "The Jamie Oliver Group has made the decision to close its Union Jacks restaurants in Chiswick, Holborn and Winchester.

"After a full review it was concluded that these businesses were no longer sustainable in the current challenging climate."

He owns several other restaurant chains including more than 30 Jamie's Italians, alongside brands Barbecoa, Fifteen and Jamie Oliver's Diner.

Not that he's sort of alternative restaurants.

Maybe they are rented sites and the LL want too much more rent, or the LA has upped the already stupid business rates. If the landlord takes all your profit why bother to trade?

What kind of people frequent his establishments? Banksters?

Probably London office workers.

He's been making the point for a few years, that customers have less moola (or spondulicks of whatever is currency in the east end).

I guess that's why he emphasises budget/15 mins in his advertising.

edit: I forget the source, but he used to employ an enormous amount of people.

Edited by okaycuckoo

Not a fan of his.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1188408/My-family-door-Jamie-knocks-homes-provide-growing-Oliver-brood-7-5m-superhouse.html

Some say fabric of London housing changing, with too many richies not satisfied with perfectly reasonably sized charming homes, and instead buying a few houses and turning them into mini-mansions. Although jonpo seems to think it's the way to brilliant riches.

Not a fan of his.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1188408/My-family-door-Jamie-knocks-homes-provide-growing-Oliver-brood-7-5m-superhouse.html

Some say fabric of London housing changing, with too many richies not satisfied with perfectly reasonably sized charming homes, and instead buying a few houses and turning them into mini-mansions. Although jonpo seems to think it's the way to brilliant riches.

Has all the hallmarks of a future celeb bankruptcy.

Ailing business interests? Check.

Balls-deep in property? Check.

Cracking recipies though.

Bubble and then .... Squeak !

Hello...

I had the misfortune of visiting Jamies Italian in Stratford.... I wont be going back.

Once the novelty wears off it doesn't take many overcharged and under served customers and before you know it takings are suffering.

All maaf and no traaasers you could say... if you were a fat tounged mockney tw@...

I had the misfortune of going to one of his places last week. Don't think the 'climate' has anything to do with their problems.

Let me know when you're going next and I'II come and stuff ya a battered sausage & chips through the letterbox.

Not a fan of his.

http://www.dailymail...superhouse.html

Moved out: The chef sold his Hampstead home for £1.7m after tiring of drinkers leaving the pub next door and calling out asking him for bacon sandwiches

:lol:

Hello...

I had the misfortune of visiting Jamies Italian in Stratford.... I wont be going back.

Once the novelty wears off it doesn't take many overcharged and under served customers and before you know it takings are suffering.

All maaf and no traaasers you could say... if you were a fat tounged mockney tw@...

yeah, my thoughts exactly about the one in Leeds. Piddling portions as we'll.

yeah, my thoughts exactly about the one in Leeds. Piddling portions as we'll.

Shrugs. I've eaten twice at his Italian at Westfield - rather liked it, home-made pasta, nice and firm - but his recipes drive me up the wall. I like my instructions without ambiguity, and it's all "a handful of this, a splosh of that" - I'll do the handfuls and sploshes, thank you very much.

Shrugs. I've eaten twice at his Italian at Westfield - rather liked it, home-made pasta, nice and firm - but his recipes drive me up the wall. I like my instructions without ambiguity, and it's all "a handful of this, a splosh of that" - I'll do the handfuls and sploshes, thank you very much.

I agree with Delia.

I've concluded you're not really supposed to try to cook the recipes from these "entertaining" chefs.

Which is why although cooking shows and cooking books are huger than ever, fewer and fewer people are cooking.