House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

We Are Not Amused: Mps Tell Queen To Rein In Her Spending As She Reaches Final Million

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/we-are-not-amused-mps-tell-queen-to-rein-in-her-spending-as-she-reaches-final-million-9089312.html

In 1642 when Parliament tried to “regulate” the revenues of the monarchy under Charles I it led, a few months later, to the first battles of the English Civil War. Now, 372 years on, Margaret Hodge and the ever combative House of Commons Public Accounts Committee (PAC) are attempting to have another go.

For the first time Parliament has today produced a report into the Royal finances, following a change in the law which gives MPs oversight of how the Queen spends her (and our) money.

And if Her Majesty thought she might get off lightly from the scourge of Google, Amazon and countless Government departments, she may need to think again.

The report castigates the Royal Household for being profligate at a time of constrained public spending and pointedly suggests that like the rest of Government, the Queen also has to do “more for less”.

It accuses the Royals of neglecting their palaces and displaying “complacency” about the extent of the problem. In conclusion it suggests the Queen is “not being served well by the Royal Household in balancing the books”, suggesting that even at 87, she needs to keep a closer eye on how her money is spent.

Perhaps it's time for the Royal Family to stop being the country's largest benefit claimants.

I thought there might be some use in having royalty. In the aftermath of the financial blowup some guidance to bring things back into line, maybe.

Then the rayalty (and their private, priviledged meetings with the bankrupt of england and politicians) just enforced the view that they all piss from the same pot, so as a backstop, no use whatsoever for the population.

I don't understand, if you own a house (In this case a palace) the owners are liable for any repair bills . And I thought the queen is a billionaire (asset wise)?

Does that mean if I have a leaky roof or damp walls I can ask the tax payer to pay up? I don't own a house yet by the way...

It's about time we did something about these benefit scroungers once and for all, there is something so telling about a culture that insists on having an unelected head of state endorsed by an imaginary being with a family structure based on the morality of Henry VIII, even more backward is that we are all forced to pay for them or be imprisoned.

:rolleyes:

It's about time we did something about these benefit scroungers once and for all, there is something so telling about a culture that insists on having an unelected head of state endorsed by an imaginary being with a family structure based on the morality of Henry VIII, even more backward is that we are all forced to pay for them or be imprisoned.

:rolleyes:

Time to privatize the royal family, float them on the stock exchange and asset strip them.

March the Queen into Jobcentre Plus every fortnight, along with IDS family and the Duke of Westminster.

Being a massive benefit claimant and land owner is not mutually exclusive in the UK!

I get the impression that the Queen is very frugal with her own money - shrewd too

But those attitudes don't seem to extend to taxpayers' money that comes her way

March the Queen into Jobcentre Plus every fortnight, along with IDS family and the Duke of Westminster.

Being a massive benefit claimant and land owner is not mutually exclusive in the UK!

I think you might find they have more than £16,000 in savings.

Telegraph 28/1/14

'The Queen's household finances were at a "historic low" with just £1 million left in reserve, MPs said on Monday. Her courtiers were advised to take money-saving tips from the Treasury. A report by the Commons public accounts committee found that the Queen's advisers were failing to control her finances while the royal palaces were "crumbling".

MPs said her advisers had overspent to such an extent that her reserve fund had fallen from £35 million in 2001 to just £1 million today.

The Royal household had made efficiency savings of just 5 per cent over the past five years compared with government departments, that are cutting their budgets by up to a third.

Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle are reported to be in urgent need of repair. Staff must catch rain in buckets to protect art and antiquities, while the Queen's old boilers were contributing to bills of £774,000 a year.

In April 2012 the Sovereign Grant replaced the old way of funding the Royal family through the Civil List and various Government grants.

The Sovereign Grant represents 15 per cent of the net surplus income of the Crown Estate, land holdings that generate money for the Treasury.'

why not chop the palaces into 1 and 2 bed flats , and only sell to foreign investors to ensure continuity for central london ?

move the queen and aides into walthamstow as this area is now considered the creme de la creme ?