House Price Crash Forum

Walthamstow Now 'the Top Place In The Country Everyone Wants To Buy In!'

MARTINX9

HOLA441

I thought I had seen all the BS I could take from estate agents.

But now one is claiming that 'E17 - Walthamstow - "has it all - no wonder we are the TOP place in the country that everyone wants to buy in!"

http://www.douglasallen.co.uk/_assets/pdfs/53113582.pdf

Richmond and Belgravia is over - we all really want to live in Walthamstow. Well it does have an Asda! :D

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

When I lived in Walthamstow for nearly a year my rental was Brian Harvey's penthouse on the Blackhorse Road. It was huge with a nice high beamed living room. This was back around 2000 and cost very little to live there. I feel privileged to have lived in Walthamstow... last time I dropped by to have a look the makeup had changed for the worst. Still I have fond memories.

edit I lived in Walthamstow for five years between ^^, badlis rd (genuinely nice street off hoe) and wood st.

Edited by longtomsilver2

HOLA445

I wouldn't call it top place to buy, but it probably does have amongst the fastest rising prices of anywhere at the moment - over 30% increase in the last year. North East London generally from Stoke Newington through seven sisters, walthamstow and woodford are all seeing crazy increases. I guess finally playing catchup with the south and west where prices have been rising for a few years

HOLA446

I thought I had seen all the BS I could take from estate agents.

But now one is claiming that 'E17 - Walthamstow - "has it all - no wonder we are the TOP place in the country that everyone wants to buy in!"

http://www.douglasallen.co.uk/_assets/pdfs/53113582.pdf

Richmond and Belgravia is over - we all really want to live in Walthamstow. Well it does have an Asda! :D

And your friendly travellers just over the back garden fence. I lived in one of those Warner flats. You could hear the people downstairs change their mind as the soundproofing was so bad.

HOLA447
HOLA448

'the top place in the COUNTRY where everyone wants to buy in.

a bit sweeping that.

there is a world outside E17 - even outside London although I suppose the EA was referring to his area and ignoring the rest :)

Always used to be a bit rough around there......prices have no relationship to desirability of living somewhere.

All very speculative....all you are doing is buying a bet. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

As mortagor.

1994-1999 Milton Road

1999-2001 Pearl Road

2001-2001 Winns Avenue

2002-2002 Luton Road

As STR Tenant.

Bunyan Road.

Wolsey Avenue

Hoe St.

A place up in the village i rented off of a builder.

Some place i lived for a week and left cos the agent told me i had sole use of the garden. I did not. Full refund from agent.

And another place i lived for a week with an upright piano. Cant remember why i left that one so quick. Again, stunningly, full refund from agent.

And probably about 2 or 3 more.

I was as well known in the EAs of E17 as the Masked Tulip (where's he gone btw) was/is in Swansea.

Used to drink in the Rose and Crown, The Palmerston, and the Standard. Where the main topic of conversation was "house prices are too ******ing high, the property market round here is insane"...

My accountant is still in Forset Road so i have to go back once a year. Glad to see they pulled down the Essex Arms, that was one dog of a pub.

Good luck to em, i wouldn't move back there if you paid me, but i'm sure that's an age thing too.

There was a bloke in Douglas Allen Spiro at the time i was in E17 called, and i kid you not, Nick Crooks, i wonder if he's still about.

Good days, but got too old for Waltham Forests "other" delights.

Like daylight muggings and drive by abduction/muggings/ransackings.

BANANA BANANA... PAHND A PAHND A PAHND A PAHND... BANANA BANANA!!!!!!!!

Edited by shindigger

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Profit on paper..... ;)

And for real when you sell to rent.

Its a very hard drug to wean people off of.

Its no wonder every politician in the land regards it as the holy grail.

I only benefited from it fleetingly as an owner in E17. But i took the cash and ran.

I bet owner occupiers there now are prepared to believe the recovery is here.

Rum business isn't it?

HOLA4419

I only benefited from it fleetingly as an owner in E17. But i took the cash and ran.

Rum business isn't it?

Two reasons to buy....one to live, in the main longer term, because can afford it, you like the area, connected to the area with good support system, family work etc.........the other is for speculative reasons, short term, flip, investment, no connection, main home elsewhere.......

One type invests in the area, the other type drains the investment from the area.....take your pick. ;)

HOLA4420

Two reasons to buy....one to live, in the main longer term, because can afford it, you like the area, connected to the area with good support system, family work etc.........the other is for speculative reasons, short term, flip, investment, no connection, main home elsewhere.......

One type invests in the area, the other type drains the investment from the area.....take your pick. ;)

I'm not saying its right. I only stayed there cos i couldn't afford the same place in Wood Green, but i stayed in E17 for 10 years.

And anyway, this is FTB land London we're talking about here.

So stuff like family and support networks don't really apply anyway.

Almost everyone i knew well in E17 at the time was from out of town.

But free cash is a massively popular drug with the electorate. We all know this.

This site is full of contrarian thinkers, who have, so far, been proved 100% wrong with UK house price predictions.

We somehow skipped a correction 6 years ago and here we are, being cynically revved up for another election.

It hurts to say it, but for the time being, Osborne has found a way to continue this madness, and take people with him.

I don't think all the old rules apply anymore.

Osborne is going to float everything up, rather than let property come down.

The land of easy money (for some) is here to stay. :(

Regardless of whether the participants "connect" with an area or not.

Edited by shindigger

HOLA4421

I'm not saying its right. I only stayed there cos i couldn't afford the same place in Wood Green, but i stayed in E17 for 10 years.

And anyway, this is FTB land London we're talking about here.

So stuff like family and support networks don't really apply anyway.

Almost everyone i knew well in E17 at the time was from out of town.

But free cash is a massively popular drug with the electorate. We all know this.

This site is full of contrarian thinkers, who have, so far, been proved 100% wrong with UK house price predictions.

We somehow skipped a correction 6 years ago and here we are, being cynically revved up for another election.

It hurts to say it, but for the time being, Osborne has found a way to continue this madness, and take people with him.

I don't think all the old rules apply anymore.

Osborne is going to float everything up, rather than let property come down.

The land of easy money (for some) is here to stay. :(

Regardless of whether the participants "connect" with an area or not.

Free? :blink:

HOLA4422

Free? :blink:

Minus mortgage costs yes, free.

It took my folks ages to save £5k in cash to help me with my deposit 25 years ago.

Within a year the house was valued at £13k more than i paid for it. Beats working.

That's how people perceive it.

A bit like this guy....

I'm not saying its right, it's just how people are.

And politicians know it. I'd say its on page one of the MPs hand book.

Good luck to any politician who wants to whip that away.

I was lucky to be the right age in 94 to benefit from the crash in the early 90s, i bought a house and in doing so, it has helped provide a degree of financial independence in my 40s.

Not big bucks, far from it, but i know i had a window. 20 somethings now are BANG up against it.

I feel very sorry for them.

I think HPCers have lost.

I'm sorry to say.

This way to a less equal society.

Edited by shindigger

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Rum business isn't it?

you cant have your cashe and live in it....ask any bank.