House Price Crash Forum

Yet Smaller Homes With Smaller Windows To Be Built

HOLA441
HOLA442

The lower orders need to attune to the times, workers in Hong Kong are happy to live in cages no bigger than a large wardrobe, why do our lower orders think they deserve better…..

I permit my staff to sleep on the floor of my kitchen and grateful they are for it…

Daily Wail link

Don't worry. In 200 years, they'll be considered 'picturesque' and will cost £750,000 (adj. for inflation).

HOLA443

You'd never get new build that luxurious these days. Those windows are just too big, only 2 floors and look, they can even fit a car in the garage!

B95.jpg

post-21626-0-69420400-1390857848_thumb.jpg

HOLA444
HOLA445

This is an utter disgrace.

You know what, if you keep focusing resources on 'affordable homes' and reducing sizes to suit builders' profits when land is over priced, we end up with the sh*thole housing stock that we've got.

+100

Sick and tired of hearing the phrase 'affordable homes.' The problem isn't affordable homes, it is unaffordable homes - to solve the housing problem we need to deal with this, and not make unaffordable homes affordable through financial trickery.

HOLA446

+100

Sick and tired of hearing the phrase 'affordable homes.' The problem isn't affordable homes, it is unaffordable homes - to solve the housing problem we need to deal with this, and not make unaffordable homes affordable through financial trickery.

Yes but we live in a corrupt little nation where public school boys need taxpayer subsidies and strict planning laws to enable them to run "housing associations" and earn a fat lump for doing very little.

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's been posted before, but it does seem apt.

John Pebble of Styx Enterprises

"Get 'em out by Friday!

You don't get paid till the last one's well on his way.

Get 'em out by Friday!

It's important that we keep to schedule, there must be no delay."

Mark Hall of Styx Enterprises (otherwise known as "The Winkler")

"I represent a firm of gentlemen who recently purchased this

house and all the others in the road,

In the interest of humanity we've found a better place for you

to go, go-woh, go-woh"

Mrs. Barrow (a tenant)

"Oh no, this I can't believe,

Oh Mary, they're asking us to leave."

Mr. Pebble

"Get 'em out by Friday!

I've told you before, 's good many gone if we let them stay.

And if it isn't easy,

You can squeeze a little grease and our troubles will soon run away."

Mrs. Barrow

"After all this time, they ask us to leave,

And I told them we could pay double the rent.

I don't know why it seemed so funny,

Seeing as how they'd take more money.

The winkler called again, he came here this morning,

With four hundred pounds and a photograph of the place he has found.

A block of flats with central heating.

I think we're going to find it hard."

Mr. Pebble

"Now we've got them!

I've always said that cash cash cash can do anything well.

Work can be rewarding

When a flash of intuition is a gift that helps you

excel-sell-sell-sell."

Mr. Hall

"Here we are in Harlow New Town, did you recognise your block

across the square, over there,

Sadly since last time we spoke, we've found we've had to raise

the rent again,

just a bit."

Mrs. Barrow

"Oh no, this I can't believe

Oh Mary, and we agreed to leave."

(a passage of time)

18/9/2012 T.V. Flash on all Dial-A-Program Services

This is an announcement from Genetic Control:

"It is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction on

humanoid height."

Extract from coversation of Joe Ordinary in Local Puborama

"I hear the directors of Genetic Control have been buying all the

properties that have recently been sold, taking risks oh so bold.

It's said now that people will be shorter in height,

they can fit twice as many in the same building site.

(they say it's alright),

Beginning with the tenants of the town of Harlow,

in the interest of humanity, they've been told they must go,

told they must go-go-go-go."[/b]

Sir John De Pebble of United Blacksprings International

"I think I've fixed a new deal

A dozen properties - we'll buy at five and sell at thirty four,

Some must be inhabited,

It's time to send the winkler to see them,

he'll have to work some more."

Memo from Satin Peter of Rock Development Ltd.

With land in your hand, you'll be happy on earth

Then invest in the Church for your heaven.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Don't you think that setting a minimum room size, also sets the maximum room size to exactly the same dimensions?

Just like the minimum wage sets a base level for all jobs, is it not the same with a room?

If there was no minimum size then each house would have to stand on it's own merits, and what builder is going to build a house that won't sell? They will make the rooms bigger to get that sale, to make their house stand out.

At the moment we have loads of tiny rooms, all built to the same standards. Why build bigger if every other house is built the same?

Just throwing it out there....... ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm confused. The headline says "Coalition to make it easier for homes with smaller windows and rooms to be built"

but the article says "Minimum standards spelt out in building regulations, which deal with safety, energy efficiency and the minimum legal size of rooms, will remain in force."

Which is it?

It sounds like instead of councils all having their own, slightly different, set of regulations in addition to nationwide building regs, they want to standardise everything nationwide. Which seems a good idea in principle, don't you think?

HOLA4413

Don't you think that setting a minimum room size, also sets the maximum room size to exactly the same dimensions?

Just like the minimum wage sets a base level for all jobs, is it not the same with a room?

If there was no minimum size then each house would have to stand on it's own merits, and what builder is going to build a house that won't sell? They will make the rooms bigger to get that sale, to make their house stand out.

At the moment we have loads of tiny rooms, all built to the same standards. Why build bigger if every other house is built the same?

Just throwing it out there....... ;)

Good argument! Although I’d suspect this logic can only work when there is little restriction on supply e.g. cars have got better over time as you have to improve your product to compete… In a market with severe restrictions to supply people will out bid one another for Wendy House size dwellings…

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

It sounds like instead of councils all having their own, slightly different, set of regulations in addition to nationwide building regs, they want to standardise everything nationwide. Which seems a good idea in principle, don't you think?

Which is the right answer. The national house building standards were just a standard, not a law, so some councils decided to use them and others didn't, and they mixed in a few other "standards" for good measure The consultation lists London as having 12 different standards for wheelchair accessibility!

The idea is to scrap everyones different ideas and have one basic level, and put them in building control regs.