House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Japan: New Head Of Public Broadcaster Shrugs Off Use Of Wartime "comfort Women"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/japan-public-broadcaster-wartime-sex-slaves

The new chairman of Japan’s national broadcaster is facing calls for his resignation after defending Japan’s use of wartime sex slaves and suggesting that he would toe the government line on key diplomatic issues.

Katsuto Momii’s remarks, made over the weekend at a his first press conference as head of NHK, are likely to anger China and South Korea, both victims of Japan’s militarism in the first half of the 20th century.

They also risk adding to prime minister Shinzo Abe’s diplomatic woes amid rising tensions with China and South Korea over territorial disputes and interpretations of Japan’s wartime conduct.

Momii said brothels were “common” in all countries involved in the war, and described as “puzzling” criticism of Japan’s enslavement of up to 200,000 mainly Korean, Chinese and Filipino women – euphemistically known as “comfort women” – in frontline brothels across Asia between 1932 and 1945.

"Can we say there were none in Germany or France? It was everywhere in Europe," he said. "In the current moral climate the use of comfort women would be wrong. But it was a reality of those times.

"Korea's statement that Japan was the only nation [that used sex slaves] is puzzling. Give us money, compensate us, they say, but since all of this was resolved by the Japan-Korea peace treaty, why are they reviving this issue? It's strange."

South Korea has demanded that Japan admit it forced young women into sexual slavery during its 1910-45 occupation of the Korean peninsula, and offer an official apology and compensation. Japan insists that all compensations claims were settled when the countries normalised diplomatic ties in 1965.

Did anyone else have these types of establishments on this scale?

Germany and the Soviets did appear to enter a rape competition with Germany setting the target and the Soviets returning the compliment although for the Germans it was a war crime but as the Soviets where on the winning side in the eyes of official history nothing happened.

I think its just a culture thing. To admit wrongdoing would bring shame.

Meanwhile, here in the west every white person is more than happy to accept personal responsibility for the transatlantic slave trade even though it was a wholly english and spanish/portugese thing.

different strokes...we in the west seem obsessed with hollow gestures.

Personally i judge countries on their actions rather than words. I couldnt care less about the japs lack of political correctness. Since 1945 they have been a blueprint for how a nation should behave. Meanwhile, since 1945 the yanks have invaded dozens of countries and murdered millions of people.

Since 1945 they have been a blueprint for how a nation should behave.

What about their housing boom, printing money and low rates? That flooded the rest of the world with cheap money prior to the dotcom bubble that morphed into the housing bubble? You could argue they caused the whole mess.

Though it seems what they did is how a nation should behave because printing money and low rates has now taken over.

Well, the Japanese are right to some extent. The Yanks and the Brits used 'comfort womern' ...but they were paid - albeit they were desperate and had little choice very often.

So what exactly is it we're supposed to be shocked by - not the act of prostituion itself but the fact the Japanese did not pay them? Or that they forced them to perform those acts using the threat of physical violence?

Perhaps the fact that it was organised by the army and forced upon the women. If troops are going to come to a private arrangement behind the backs of their officers there's not a whole lot the army can do about it, it's a world of difference between paying a consenting (if desparate) woman and organising a rape factory.

War is always miserable but it seems to me that the Japanese have never faced up to the actions of their troops, who were as far as I can tell as bad if not worse than the Germans. Instead they have been allowed to pretend that they were the victims of war crimes because of the atomic weapon attacks.

What about their housing boom, printing money and low rates? That flooded the rest of the world with cheap money prior to the dotcom bubble that morphed into the housing bubble? You could argue they caused the whole mess.

Though it seems what they did is how a nation should behave because printing money and low rates has now taken over.

ok, to clarify, im taking about international relations. They havent invaded anyone, meddled in internal affairs, subjugated sovereign nations democratic processes or anything else that the yanks frequently dabble in. They have been the perfect isolationist model, engaging in trade and not much else .

what they do within their own borders i could care less about. (at least till fukushima <_< )

fair point about carry trade, but thats as much a result of the traitorous scum politicians we've had since 1970.

Rape, much like torture, happens in pretty much each and every kind of serious human conflict, but with the Japanese they made rape and torture very systematic and institutional (then have a dismissive attitude towards more so than Western countries in general, annoying the Chinese and Koreans, making them look more in the right, despite otherwise being mewling hypocrites).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/japan-public-broadcaster-wartime-sex-slaves

Germany and the Soviets did appear to enter a rape competition with Germany setting the target and the Soviets returning the compliment although for the Germans it was a war crime but as the Soviets where on the winning side in the eyes of official history nothing happened.

I was aware of the Red Army's record but didn't think the German army was particularly rapey. Any cites for that?

I was aware of the Red Army's record but didn't think the German army was particularly rapey. Any cites for that?

http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/10/07/the-mass-allied-rape-of-world-war-ii/

During World War II, Hitler didn’t enforce laws against rape in Eastern Europe. It has been estimated that the Wehrmacht raped up to 10 million Soviet women during World War II, with between 750,000 and 1,000,000 children born as a result. Rapes were rarely prosecuted and they were seen as a way to “crush the Soviet resistance.” In the Soviet Union, women were often taken from their homes and branded with the words “Whore for Hitler’s troops.” There is also evidence that the Nazis used sexual torture and sexual slavery.

Rape was used as a form of humiliation and power mongering. However, in 1944, when the Red Army and Western Allies started to take control of the war, the situation changed and German women were the ones targeted for rape. It has been estimated that Soviet soldiers raped as many as 2 million German citizens in 1944 and 1945, killing around 250,000 of them. British historian Antony Beevor said it was the “greatest phenomenon of mass rape in history.” German women were also beaten on a massive scale. In some cases, it was reported that children as young as 10 years old were targeted by the Soviets.

Meanwhile, here in the west every white person is more than happy to accept personal responsibility for the transatlantic slave trade even though it was a wholly english and spanish/portugese

I don't accept any responsibility for that. Or for anything that happened before my birth. I'm always rather puzzled that I should be expected to. Is it a religious thing, people are conditioned to believe that they are stained because Adam ate the magic apple, and they can extend that to guilt over something an unknown ancestor may have had a part in?

It was abhorrent, but I don't feel any guilt simply because I'm distantly related.

I don't accept any responsibility for that. Or for anything that happened before my birth. I'm always rather puzzled that I should be expected to. Is it a religious thing, people are conditioned to believe that they are stained because Adam ate the magic apple, and they can extend that to guilt over something an unknown ancestor may have had a part in?

It was abhorrent, but I don't feel any guilt simply because I'm distantly related.

Neither do I, it was horrible but I had no say in the matter.

It also gets more complicated when you realise the Africans themselves where quite happily trading slaves with white Europeans.

Meanwhile, here in the west every white person is more than happy to accept personal responsibility for the transatlantic slave trade even though it was a wholly english and spanish/portugese thing.

It might not have been transatlantic in the case of other European empires, but it certainly existed. The Italian soldiers in North Africa didn't spend their time there trying to convert the female natives to Catholicism, ditto the Dutch in what is now Indonesia, etc. etc.

Recent research suggests that the scale of Red Army rape in 1944-45 was significantly exaggerated, firstly by Goebbels and then by the surviving populations in the early years of the Cold War. The extent of plain simple murder, though (i.e. Soviet soldiers quite simply killing the entire populations of villages they overran in eastern Germany) was probably downplayed.

Recent research suggests that the scale of Red Army rape in 1944-45 was significantly exaggerated, firstly by Goebbels and then by the surviving populations in the early years of the Cold War. The extent of plain simple murder, though (i.e. Soviet soldiers quite simply killing the entire populations of villages they overran in eastern Germany) was probably downplayed.

In the fog of war it's hard to know what the truth is, even afterwards unravelling historical fact from fantasy becomes difficult as everything gets exaggerated.

I may see if I can get that book. Thanks.

Why do you have rules of war that are ignored or cancelled out in many cases? What was the point? Especially when war nowadays seems more broad and vague, the enemies plain clothed civilians with weapons essentially much of the time.

Many white people are also descended from slaves, just that it was far longer ago. And what about the Moorish slavers that used to visit UK coasts?

Blair made himself look ridiculous apologising for slavery.

Well, the Japanese are right to some extent. The Yanks and the Brits used 'comfort womern' ...but they were paid - albeit they were desperate and had little choice very often.

So what exactly is it we're supposed to be shocked by - not the act of prostituion itself but the fact the Japanese did not pay them? Or that they forced them to perform those acts using the threat of physical violence?

I think over time it is becoming increasingly clear there are more complex forms of 'slavery' from debt slavery to desperation for survival or even simply emotional or drug dependence. 'Comfort women' arise thru' all these routes and it is doubtful when they were young girls did they envisage such a future for themselves.

If true this is hardly a surprise given the nature of young men and war, but have you any links for this? I didn't find much when I googled for a couple of minutes.....