House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Multi-Millionaire Applies For £6 An Hour Job

Well I have to say I like this story. She's had her dream of stardom and wealth come true but realised that she's happiest being an active part of her local community. Good on yer Sue. And I like her singing.

Millionaire Susan Boyle 'applies for a £6-an-hour cashier job in her local bookmakers'

She might be a millionaire, but that doesn't stop Susan Boyle from wanting to make a bit of extra cash on the side.

The 52-year-old singer is reported to have applied for a minimum wage, £6-an-hour cashier's job after spotting a job advert in the window of her local bookmakers, Ladbrokes, in Blackburn, west Lothian.

Upon reading the advert on Thursday afternoon, Susan entered the premises and spent around five minutes talking to the shop's deputy manager David Corr, 28, about the role.

He told The Sun on Sunday: 'Susan Boyle walked into the shop and inquired about the job advertised in our window. We were all in shock.'

David then told Susan she would have to apply for the role online, through the Ladbrokes careers website.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2546170/Millionaire-Susan-Boyle-applies-6-hour-cashier-job-local-bookmakers.html

On the one hand, what the hell are her management doing...that someone truly and marketably talented is left on her lonesome to seek a job in a bookies for company :(:huh:

But on the other hand I guess it's fair play to her, and a good advert for getting a job- it's as much about the companionship as it is about the money. I've gotten to really hate my job, which is why I went part time, but what keeps me turning up two days a week is the chat with my mates- the job has got worse if anything. I was very lonely and sad in my late teens/early 20s, and getting a job was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Well I have to say I like this story. She's had her dream of stardom and wealth come true but realised that she's happiest being an active part of her local community. Good on yer Sue. And I like her singing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2546170/Millionaire-Susan-Boyle-applies-6-hour-cashier-job-local-bookmakers.html

I suppose the counter argument would be that she should leave the job for someone who really needs it. I suspect unemployment is pretty dire in her home town however it wouldn't surprise me if she was offered the job just for the publicity. If she wants to be part of her local community join some voluntary groups - OAP homes usually have volunteer helpers for social activities. Likewise for disabled people.

I suppose the counter argument would be that she should leave the job for someone who really needs it. I suspect unemployment is pretty dire in her home town however it wouldn't surprise me if she was offered the job just for the publicity. If she wants to be part of her local community join some voluntary groups - OAP homes usually have volunteer helpers for social activities. Likewise for disabled people.

Perhaps her accountant needs to have a word, she won't be making any money at that wage level.

Have to say it would be better for her to be involved in other voluntary groups rather than working in a bookies.

Perhaps her accountant needs to have a word, she won't be making any money at that wage level.

Have to say it would be better for her to be involved in other voluntary groups rather than working in a bookies.

Making tea and chatting with old folk at local retirement homes would be a nice touch. they would love it.

she's not too bright from what I've seen,

but this smacks of a PR exercise.

I was thinking that it was either a stunt by Boyle's managers that was aimed to get the 'sympathy votes' into the empty seats on her tour.

or

a Ladbrokes employee saw a way to earn a few quid from selling a scoop, in which case he/she should be an ex-employee as job applicants should be confidential, I would have thought.