House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zamo

Average Hpi Per Year Data

Could anybody point me in the direction of data on average UK house price inflation per year?

Say over the last 40 years or so.

I know the £ figures of average price are in a pinned thread, but was wondering the exact percentage increase per year.

Thanks

This clip shows the history of semis on a south eastern housing estate since they were built in 1964

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/excel/2013/historicdataQtr42013.xls

More Northern locations are still stuck in the doldrums so these figures don't apply across the country.

I once mention on HPC that the history for a detached house in my area is a tripling every decade and the train hitting the buffers for the last ten years eg.

I sometimes wonder whether Northern bears are about to sacrifice the box seat they have enjoyed for a decade with astonishingly low volumes and high SSTC ratios which may be a portent to a what has already occured in the south east.

The Halifax regional data is now out for Q4. This highlights the huge difference across the country with prices in the north stuck at 2004 levels and prices in London now showing a near eight fold increase since 1983.

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/excel/2013/RegionalHistoricalHousePriceDataQ42013.xls

Edited by crashmonitor

With a bit of google digging it appears that REAL house prices have grown 2.9% since the 70's.

I'm not sure that "real" house prices are at all meaningful. Firstly, wages are now fully disconnected from official inflation and in my opinion are unlikely to start regularly exceeding it again for at least a decade or two. Secondly, the official inflation indexes are put together by governments themselves and governments have many reasons to under-report inflation.