House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Are You Braced For 4.13 Pm Today?

An old link, but actually covered on BBC Breakfast today. Sunday is the most depressing day of the week apparently and it is not just 9 to 5ers who get the Sunday blues.

The problem is even greater in the single elderly as the country semi shuts down and they go into depression (Breakfast today). Pretty much concurs with elderly friends I know who have a dread of Sundays. I would have thought Sunday openings would have helped a bit.

TBH you never lose the Sunday night blues. I am self employed but still get it a bit, even though I have some control of the working week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9381836/Sunday-blues-start-at-4.13pm-survey-finds.html

I'm actually astonished I'm not the only one that has had this since school days. I thought school was generally OK too, it was more to do with the ennui/anti-climax feeling that Sundays generally have.

I'm slightly hungover for no reason today too which doesn't help

I like Sundays - much more chilled out than Saturday.

Its January and pouring rain thats the problem - Sundays in June are lovely!

Samn - missed it!

Mrs EF's watch is a few minutes sloe though so I am enjoying her despair.

A friend of mine used to describe this bit of Sunday afternoon as "uneasy time" which I think was a very apt summary. It is less an outright sense of depression but more a vaguely unsettled feeling. I can remember experiencing it as a school kid so I do not think it is specifically work related. Strangely it usually fades as Sunday night progresses.

BTW I am experiencing the sensation right now and I have been at work from 10:00 to 15:30 today so it can hardly be blamed on having had nothing to do on Sunday as the article suggests.

Maybe religion would be a cure?

I lived in the West Indies for a while and you could sit on one of the local beaches on a Sunday and the church there would have its doors open coz it was so hot, and there'd be animated singing, banging of tamberines, and shouting "Praise the Lord" and "Hallelujah!" at seemingly random moments and it all seemed very jolly and happy and the people were full of smiles.

It certainly looked enjoyable.

Ended up going down the alcohol route tonight

Cooking a lovely curry and listening to some great tunes e.g. "My World" by Secret Affair

yes, tomorrow will be extremely challenging as a consequence, but:

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2.55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

Maybe religion would be a cure?

I lived in the West Indies for a while and you could sit on one of the local beaches on a Sunday and the church there would have its doors open coz it was so hot, and there'd be animated singing, banging of tamberines, and shouting "Praise the Lord" and "Hallelujah!" at seemingly random moments and it all seemed very jolly and happy and the people were full of smiles.

It certainly looked enjoyable.

Full of smiles, or full of pot?

Have always found Sunday (when on holiday monday) to be enjoyable.

I remember being a school kid, hearing the music to 'Antiques roadshow' or 'Songs of Praise' come on the tv sunday afternoon reminded us that the weekend was over, horrible feeling of school tomorrow and oh s*** I've not done my homework yet !

The elderly lady featured on the BBCs breakfast as a sufferer of The Sunday blues actually started the day at church followed by a whole day in front of the television. I'm guessing she was not going to a happy clappy church like yours Joshua.

I think happy clappy is the important bit.

I'd go just for that. All that smiley happy singing n' dancing is bound to be infectious.

You can always pretend to believe. I'm sure thats what lots of 'religious people do.

I have worked shifts for all my life.

Still hate Sundays.

And this music will always remind me of Sunday evenings, regret that the weekend is over, begin anxious about going back to school tomorrow, and annoyed that there's nothing decent on the telly!