House Price Crash Forum

Pity The Poor Rigbys In Huddersfield

HOLA441

Not looking good for local Rigbys. And this is only a small sample of the new student village

Yesterday saw dozens of students and, more importantly, their parents, flock to an open day at The Castings on King's Bridge Road, Huddersfield.

When completed in September it will house 653 students whose every need will be catered for from en-suite facilities, 24-hour staff, 20MB internet, utility bills, round-the-clock security and contemporary fitted kitchens.

http://www.examiner....hanging-6562294

JH220114castings-02-6540069.jpg

JH220114castings-13-6540079.jpg

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA442

Edububble and all that.

What do you reckon to the Huddersfield uni?

I don't really know Huddersfield. I have relatives in Denby Dale but they always came to us.

HudUni is in the yorkshire post a lot. Load mouth chanellor expousing the wonders of HE - probably is wonderful for the lecturers + admin staff.

A lot of the articles seem to be along along the lines of 'go to uni, be successful type'.

It seems to offer a lot of arts+ humanties degrees just to satisfy the go to Uni tick box.

HOLA443

Edububble and all that.

I don't really know Huddersfield. I have relatives in Denby Dale but they always came to us.

HudUni is in the yorkshire post a lot. Load mouth chanellor expousing the wonders of HE - probably is wonderful for the lecturers + admin staff.

A lot of the articles seem to be along along the lines of 'go to uni, be successful type'.

It seems to offer a lot of arts+ humanties degrees just to satisfy the go to Uni tick box.

Don't have much to do with the Uni but think what you say is about right. It will all eventually go bang

HOLA444

Don't have much to do with the Uni but think what you say is about right. It will all eventually go bang

Probably when the foreign (Chinese) student bubble bursts.

These flats are often targeted at foreign students who don't want the hassle of renting from the private sector, as they don't know the procedures and everything surrounding renting here. Years ago a mate of mine was living in a shared house and the one spare room got let to a chinese student who after a month or two after the start of term announced he was moving out (had found another place with more chinese students) lumbering the rest of them with the unpaid rent whilst they tried to find someone to replace him.

HOLA445

Probably when the foreign (Chinese) student bubble bursts.

These flats are often targeted at foreign students who don't want the hassle of renting from the private sector, as they don't know the procedures and everything surrounding renting here. Years ago a mate of mine was living in a shared house and the one spare room got let to a chinese student who after a month or two after the start of term announced he was moving out (had found another place with more chinese students) lumbering the rest of them with the unpaid rent whilst they tried to find someone to replace him.

Local letting agents really coin it in, from sharers. They get the sharers onto an AST, then everytime a sharer moves out or in 'kerching' £50-60 paperwork fee's. What a racket.

No wonder the letting agents in town drive around in nice sporty Audi's.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Councils should be building places like that for non-students. For a not for profit rent only and no right to buy.

Unfortunately these types of accommodation are not permitted as social housing . Minimum standard accommodation for social housing mandates a partition between kitchen and living area.

(Really. 250k unsold executive flats could not be sold for social housing...)

HOLA4413

Unfortunately these types of accommodation are not permitted as social housing . Minimum standard accommodation for social housing mandates a partition between kitchen and living area.

(Really. 250k unsold executive flats could not be sold for social housing...)

These student flats have shared kitchens and communal areas, so not 'apartments' as such. Own room and ensuites though.

Some are already available to rent short term outside of term time, like hotel rooms.

HOLA4414

Not looking good for local Rigbys. And this is only a small sample of the new student village

http://www.examiner....hanging-6562294

Quote from the Examiner article:

'But it’s a competitive market in studentland these days and so the prices tend to be relatively modest from just £105 per week.'

That sounds pretty damn expensive for Huddersfield to me.

Universities have been replacing their old cheap student accommodation with more high-end hotel-esque stuff in the last several years - better profit margins clearly.

HOLA4415

Quote from the Examiner article:

'But it’s a competitive market in studentland these days and so the prices tend to be relatively modest from just £105 per week.'

That sounds pretty damn expensive for Huddersfield to me.

Universities have been replacing their old cheap student accommodation with more high-end hotel-esque stuff in the last several years - better profit margins clearly.

Some of it is due to them wanting to capture more income. Universities often have lots of spare land. So why not rent that out to someone who wants to build flats for students to live in ?

Then there are student demands. Back in the day students put up with crap facilities. Now if a student does not have en suite then they are not happy.

I agree that 105 pw sounds expensive, but it is a known quantity, no hassle and probably you get all your bills included. Pretty much ideal for someone moving to uni for the first time.

HOLA4416

Edububble and all that.

Some Universities are going to seriously struggle in the next few years but Huddersfield won't be one of them - unlike most other universities it has no debt. Cumbria and Leeds Met/Beckett on the other hand have problems.

HOLA4417

These student flats have shared kitchens and communal areas, so not 'apartments' as such. Own room and ensuites though.

Some are already available to rent short term outside of term time, like hotel rooms.

Mebbe so. In any case its not how I imagined the denizens of /b/ or the foul bachelor frogs living...

Edited by dryrot

HOLA4418

Then there are student demands. Back in the day students put up with crap facilities. Now if a student does not have en suite then they are not happy.

Yes, I did my first degree iin the late 1990s at a North-West England University and lived in slum student accommodation in my second and third year that cost me £35 a week .In my first year in halls of residence I shared a kitchen with 12 other students.

It was the norm then but not now. Things have been changed over the last ten years by student accommodation marketing and increasingly high-end student accommodation being built - that's not the current students' fault.

Now, unfortunately, studnets have to get into a huge amount of debt to get a higher education qualification - I don't bregrudge them the en suites - I feel sorry for them

HOLA4419

Some Universities are going to seriously struggle in the next few years but Huddersfield won't be one of them - unlike most other universities it has no debt. Cumbria and Leeds Met/Beckett on the other hand have problems.

Hudds Uni continues to expand, expanding into current Broadbents land.

http://www.examiner....ans-key-6467558

Nine people have objected to the plans, with concerns it will impact on residents of The Melting Point apartments who would be facing a high-rise building.

:lol:

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4420