House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erat_forte

Screwfix

I can just imagine a developer running an ad-hoc query late at night to set something. The query:

UPDATE ProductCustomerGroup SET GrossPrice = 35

... was just missing

WHERE ProductID = (id of product)

So it updated everything.

Said developer then failed to verify and went to bed.

Oops. No, wasn't me. Thankfully :)

There's a reason why the emails websites send when you order are normally called "Order Receipt" and not "Order Confirmation".

I can just imagine a developer running an ad-hoc query late at night to set something. The query:

... was just missing

There's a reason why the emails websites send when you order are normally called "Order Receipt" and not "Order Confirmation".

I read a story whereby someone got a £1600 lawnmower for £35. I know someone who's apparently one of their top Software Engineer's there...no mention of him getting the boot yet...

Wouldn't you have a test site, whereby you'd sort of, well, test the changes first before it went live?

I read a story whereby someone got a £1600 lawnmower for £35. I know someone who's apparently one of their top Software Engineer's there...no mention of him getting the boot yet...

Wouldn't you have a test site, whereby you'd sort of, well, test the changes first before it went live?

You would, yes. However if you worked in some of the places I've worked in.. ;)

Tesco.com had a fairly rigorous test environment. I can't say the same for all the others.

You should see Three's Mobile Broadband portal. Looks nice, but you can tell that the test -> release environment hasn't been perfected yet..

Even if the company has set up a "contract" by sending out "confirmation" emails, surely the best option for them is to renege on the contract, issue a refund. What is the aggrieved customer going to do? Sue in the small claims court? How much would a judge award in compensation, seeing as all moneys paid have been promptly refunded?

Those who already collected on the other hand I guess they are lucky and need to stick to their guns.

Even if the company has set up a "contract" by sending out "confirmation" emails, surely the best option for them is to renege on the contract, issue a refund. What is the aggrieved customer going to do? Sue in the small claims court? How much would a judge award in compensation, seeing as all moneys paid have been promptly refunded?

Those who already collected on the other hand I guess they are lucky and need to stick to their guns.

Maybe they have reneged on most orders or maybe they will. Throw a few cheapos out there to a small few 'lucky ones' who appear in the DM with a big beaming face. Supress the reneged stories in the MSM. Bish bash bosh. Screw fix gets a nice bit of publicity, the DM gets a story, a few proles get a cheap bit of gear and the great unwashed has a giggle at some made up bit of publicity generation, everyones a winner. But mostly its about Screwfix getting some publicity.

Cynic, moi? Maybe. Seriously though I would love to know how much the site traffic increases after one of these stories comes out and do they make extra sales

If you go on to the likes of hotukdeals, this sort of thing happens all the time...the company doesn't have to honour the sale, until, I think payment has been taken.

... was just missing

Have they outsourced their IT department to India?

If you go on to the likes of hotukdeals, this sort of thing happens all the time...the company doesn't have to honour the sale, until, I think payment has been taken.

Yeah but that was my point, if they renege after payment has been taken, what can you sue them for? No more than the money you paid I would have thought. And if they have already issued a refund...

Have they outsourced their IT department to India?

Nope...its run from its head office in Somerset, but I believe some it may be run from Southampton too..