House Price Crash Forum

Carney Want Permanently Low Rates

HOLA441

All other things being equal I'd like interest rates to be low too (and I'm a debt free saver).

I'd prefer that house prices were brought down via the supply side of the equation with more housebuilding, and that rentiers weren't rewarded at above inflation levels just for putting cash on risk free deposit.

only you would like your pension to return 5% as well.

HOLA442
HOLA443

All other things being equal I'd like interest rates to be low too (and I'm a debt free saver).

I'd prefer that house prices were brought down via the supply side of the equation with more housebuilding, and that rentiers weren't rewarded at above inflation levels just for putting cash on risk free deposit.

The economy is saturated with debt. Banks are basically broke and are basically stealing people's money. A large proportion of people's money is spent on servicing their debts. Prices have been massively distorted by huge levels of debt. The incredibly stupid policy of zero percent interest rates has destroyed the economy. High interest rates attract savers and discourage debt. That means more people would save and banks would not be broke. Fewer people would borrow, the level of debt would decrease. Prices would correct and things would be valued according to supply and demand, instead of credit availability.

Too bad Carney was selected on the basis that he is a moron who will never allow rates to increase no matter what.

HOLA444

Meanwhile Japan managed deflation and zirp for decades as the asset prices adjusted under cataclysmic debt.

Japan is a massive exporter of actual stuff.

We, are not.

They printed like mad to ensure they banks didnt bust...even though they were bust and still are.

How many Yen to the £?

Also, jobs for life are virtually gone, crime apparently is on the rise and now they are looking for war with China.

All worked out well then...

HOLA445
HOLA446

All worked out well then...

(Japan)

I suppose the equivalent housepricecrashers over there will be very pleased with the result..... up to 90% crash in asset prices and a currency that buys you more every year. Deflation is great if you have no debt.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA447

Not from a zero risk deposit account I wouldn't. To better inflation there has to be some risk involved, otherwise life's tipped too far in favour of rentiers.

The natural state of an improving, technologically advancing economy is..lower production costs through efficiency and innovation.

This is a state of deflation.

You may have been fooled into believing that inflation is necessary to cover risk.

It isnt.

Inflation is necessary to cover waste, ineffiency and just plain crime.

otherwise, risk covered by price, and that price is interest rates.

HOLA448

I can't see prices being ever allowed to to drop, new houses will be price at the the current rate. The construction industry have a huge overvalued land bank and the government know that they can't let the the value of that drop. The current increase in house building is being underwritten by the various state cheap financing deals paid by us, the taxpayer.

HOLA449

I can't see prices being ever allowed to to drop, new houses will be price at the the current rate. The construction industry have a huge overvalued land bank and the government know that they can't let the the value of that drop. The current increase in house building is being underwritten by the various state cheap financing deals paid by us, the taxpayer.

Never mind the house builders' land banks, think of the MPs own personal property interests or the bad home loans on the Government's books. Agree they will only release enough land to sustain prices at the present levels as a minimum requirement.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4410

the people have the ultimate power...stop buying...

Government knows this...it therefore has to entice people to keep buying.

HOLA4411

The natural state of an improving, technologically advancing economy is..lower production costs through efficiency and innovation.

You may have been fooled into believing that inflation is necessary to cover risk.

It isnt.

The risk I'm talking about is the risk of forfeiture, not inflation.

HOLA4412

It isnt.

Natural state of lower production costs? There's no such thing. Production costs are ultimately governed by the cost of energy and food both of which have exploded uncontrollably since the Millennium thanks to Peak Oil and the global population boom.

HOLA4413

Great question, I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation they just haven't quite got around to giving it yet what with all the vigilance over asset prices that they aren't concerned with.

If five years of ZIRP isn't harmful why haven't we done it before? It's BS and everyone here knows it, but as per the Rothschild quote by interstate, the majority can't (dont want to) get their head around it.

For extra comedy value we seem to now be getting forward guidance on the forward guidance :)

You may be putting the cart before the horse: interest rates are low because of the damage that's already been done.

HOLA4414

Natural state of lower production costs? There's no such thing. Production costs are ultimately governed by the cost of energy and food both of which have exploded uncontrollably since the Millennium thanks to Peak Oil and the global population boom.

This is true, however you can use technology to improve productivity at a faster rate than other costs increase, this is a fight uk manufacturers are engaged in all the time, massive improvements just to keep the price the same.

On another tack, I feel comparisons with Japan are irrelevant as their economy is completely different to ours.

The trade deficit will do for us if bonds don't get us first.

HOLA4415

You may be putting the cart before the horse: interest rates are low because of the damage that's already been done.

Yes, thats a good point. I still think interest rates that low for that long are harmful in themselves though. Is there any real point going below...(pulls number out of ar*e)...2%? Surely into diminishing returns by the time we're down past a certain point?

Of course I must remember that we only care about people with "jumbo mortgages" and a certain entity that needs to borrow circa 120Bn next year.

Edited by Hold Fast