House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Embarrassing Bodies Doctor Christian Jessen To Test 'gay Cures' In New Channel 4 Show

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/embarrassing-bodies-doctor-christian-jessen-to-test-gay-cures-in-new-channel-4-show-9082429.html

Dr Christian Jessen is to test the medical credibility of 'gay cures' in a one-off Channel 4 documentary.

The Embarrassing Bodies presenter, who is reportedly in a long-term homosexual relationship, will take a scientific sexuality test after first undergoing various 'conversion' treatments on Undercover Doctor: Cure Me, I’m Gay.

Jessen will explore past and present therapies in the UK and US that offer to 'cure' people who are desperate to be heterosexual. LGBT patients attempting to 'turn straight' will be interviewed on the programme.

The final sexuality test will use an eye tracker and penile plethysmograph to measure Jessen's arousal. 'Ex-gay' people who claim to have been cured will also be challenged with a sexuality lie detector test.

'Reparative' techniques used across the world, primarily by some extreme right-wing organisations, have included electric shock therapy, exorcism, hypnosis, and even sessions with prostitutes.

One historical therapy, disturbingly reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange, involves inducing nausea while exposing the patient to explicit homoerotic images and audio.

The widespread belief among professional doctors is that sexual orientation is not something that can or should be altered.

Channel 4 has yet to release further information, but Undercover Doctor: Cure Me, I’m Gay is expected to air later this year.

This should be interesting to watch, although what happens in the unlikely event Christian decides to become "straight"? Would the show be aired?

As no one is either 100% straight or gay how reliable can testing eye tracker and penile plethysmograph be?

Bit of a gimmick, isnt it? what does it matter if its a choice or not. It harms no one else/is consentual. Why push the whole is it/isnt it agenda. Who actually cares?

The debate no one seems to want to have is...

Is paedophilia an 'orientation'?

Just saying if it is, is it by choice. Its quite common paedos were also abused when they were young. Environment seems to have conditioned them that way rather than genes. Environment could have conditioned straight people straight and gay people gay. If its an orientation why would it be different for any?

If paedo isnt an orientation, why do they find it so hard to shift?

If it is, why are they ever let out of prison?

recorded this, haven't watched it yet except the first minute, from which i got the impression that his heart wasn't really in it.

would be more interesting if it were presented by somebody seriously desiring to change their sexual orientation (either way).

Bit of a gimmick, isnt it? what does it matter if its a choice or not. It harms no one else/is consentual. Why push the whole is it/isnt it agenda. Who actually cares?

The debate no one seems to want to have is...

The bit I saw was focusing on religious groups pushing this and the rise of it!

The bloke on this end of the chorus line-up was the landlord of The Nag's Head in Peckham!

I think he was also a union guy in My Week With Marilyn and an human body stealing alien in Doctor Who - probably pulls a good point either way.

So, did anyone watch it?

How's he getting on?

I wonder what his gay partner thought of him volunteering for this...........

100% gay at the end still.

He asked a group of "cured" people in the US to take the test with him and they all refused.

The bit I saw was focusing on religious groups pushing this and the rise of it!

But presumably we are not a theocracy...they can push it all they want, getting people to listen to them is another matter. So why is C4 interested in these Kooks?