House Price Crash Forum
Andy T

There Goes Your House Price! Britain's 20 Worst Postcodes For Burglaries Revealed

No surprises with those areas of London.

I was living in a ground floor flat halfway between Tulse Hill and Herne Hill last year, got burgled while I was at work (forced front door). The two coppers they sent round weren't surprised at all, said it was very common in the area. From the way they were talking I think they both lived outside of London and commuted in each day, it was obvious from their expressions that they didn't think much of London.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545099/There-goes-house-price-Britains-20-worst-postcodes-burglaries-revealed.html

Affect house prices? can't see it somehow. Chorlton has had a bad rep for some time.

I'm amazed that you can make such a sweeping statement without backing it up at all. My perception of the popularity of Chorlton is that it continues to grow in popularity ( along with Didsbury ) amongst Manchester's young middle class 'trendy' professionals. Just follow @ChorltonRT on twitter to get a feel for the type of people living in and around Chorlton. Chorlton certainly has no bad reputation amongst most people I know. I accept that along with most inner city areas there are less desirable areas within Chorlton but to dismiss places like Chorltonville / Beech Road area as having a bad reputation is a little silly.

We have lived in Chorlton ( Off Beech Road ) since 1995 and have suffered no crime ( car, house or personal ) in the 19 years since then. Admittedly, we own our our home and have been able to spend money on decent locks ( BS 3261 ) and have a visible alarm and have taken precuations when away on holiday etc.

I would expect that there is a disproportionate amount of burglaries in the many shared houses, student houses and rented converted flats where security will be less or properties are left empty over longer periods.

I don't disagree with the statistics and there are instances of crime but my perception is that with a reasonable amount of common sense and precautions, living in Chorlton can be a safe option ( Expecially for those with beards! )

In fact the worst crime in Chorlton is the house prices!

I'm amazed that you can make such a sweeping statement without backing it up at all. My perception of the popularity of Chorlton is that it continues to grow in popularity ( along with Didsbury ) amongst Manchester's young middle class 'trendy' professionals. Just follow @ChorltonRT on twitter to get a feel for the type of people living in and around Chorlton. Chorlton certainly has no bad reputation amongst most people I know. I accept that along with most inner city areas there are less desirable areas within Chorlton but to dismiss places like Chorltonville / Beech Road area as having a bad reputation is a little silly.

We have lived in Chorlton ( Off Beech Road ) since 1995 and have suffered no crime ( car, house or personal ) in the 19 years since then. Admittedly, we own our our home and have been able to spend money on decent locks ( BS 3261 ) and have a visible alarm and have taken precuations when away on holiday etc.

I would expect that there is a disproportionate amount of burglaries in the many shared houses, student houses and rented converted flats where security will be less or properties are left empty over longer periods.

I don't disagree with the statistics and there are instances of crime but my perception is that with a reasonable amount of common sense and precautions, living in Chorlton can be a safe option ( Expecially for those with beards! )

It wasn't meant to sound like a dig at Chorlton, re-reading my post I can see how it might of come across. I like Chorlton and would happily live there. A few friends lived in Chorlton about 10 years ago, I'm familiar with the pubs/shops and the type of people who live there. Crime would come up in conversation (not that it stopped anyone moving there) at the time there were stats regarding high crime in chorlton, hence reputation with people I know whether deserved or not. To be clear, reputation was only regarding bugularies, not other crime or safety. As you say its not so much an issue with chorlton, but thieves in the surrounding areas targeting chorlton, back then it tended to be the older large houses on edge lane/wilbraham road that were a targeted, probably with questionable security at the rear. And although usually beardless, always felt safe walking around Chorlton at night!

Yippee!!!

I live in the number two hotspot as well. Lived here for 13 years and got burgled in 2004. Put measures in place to minimise it, but if the perps are determined........

These burglary stats are in no way reflected in my home contents insurance premiums oddly and thankfully enough. I guess that's one blessing at least.

Yippee!!!

I live in the number two hotspot as well. Lived here for 13 years and got burgled in 2004. Put measures in place to minimise it, but if the perps are determined........

These burglary stats are in no way reflected in my home contents insurance premiums oddly and thankfully enough. I guess that's one blessing at least.

Herne Hill was dead posh in Victorian times! I knew it well, but not in Victorian times, more like the late 70s. :blink:

Herne Hill was dead posh in Victorian times! I knew it well, but not in Victorian times, more like the late 70s. :blink:

Victoria was very much alive and on the throne in the 1870s, Mr. P!

I spent 13 years in M13, M14 & M15 postcodes. I'll still pass on Chorlton, thanks.

Victoria was very much alive and on the throne in the 1870s, Mr. P!

I have very little interest in the bowel movements of monarchs.