House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

I've Listed Every Property ( < £500K ) I Would Be Prepared To Buy In And Around Northampton.

Impressive choice.

At least you don't need to be picky spending up to £0.5m.

If anyone disagrees with my list, then please, show me the <£500K property that is desirable.

If anyone disagrees with my list, then please, show me the <£500K property that is desirable.

Pointless looking at the moment. Stuff that hasn't sold in 2+ years relisted with higher prices.

Question for me is how many people will be left after the HTB (no deposit necessary) group of people have been exploited/farmed?

If there are a few who have

1) Not been able to save a deposit.

2) Are happy paying current mortgage

3) Don't realise the 20% has to be paid back or that mortgage rates will rise at some point

4) Want to buy a house though any desperate means (Help To Buy)

Then who is the next group, or were these the last?

I hope they were, but not sure.

Still need interest rate rises to get prices affordable.

Compared to the commuter belt places I look at 500k gets you loads around Northampton. Then again 500k is a shedload of money.

I'd love some of the 500k places in Hartwell or Roade compared to the half million places from that recent Harpenden thread.

Pointless looking at the moment. Stuff that hasn't sold in 2+ years relisted with higher prices.

Clearly it hasn't sold because the price hasn't been high enough. Stupid idiots for pricing property cheaply!

Clearly it hasn't sold because the price hasn't been high enough. Stupid idiots for pricing property cheaply!

Greed, fear of 'giving it away'.

All the time, no maintenance, life on hold - whether new job, cheaper to run house, bungalow for less mobility etc.

They'll find old express readers barricaded into a single room in a neglected family house, either dead or cold and unable to look after themselves.

Of course any vulture-like relatives will pack them off to an old people's home.

Compared to the commuter belt places I look at 500k gets you loads around Northampton. Then again 500k is a shedload of money.

I'd love some of the 500k places in Hartwell or Roade compared to the half million places from that recent Harpenden thread.

You must be looking at those house prices relative to the london mega-bubble prices....relative to local wages the prices are equally as insane as london.

You must be looking at those house prices relative to the london mega-bubble prices....relative to local wages the prices are equally as insane as london.

That was my point really.

I went to school in Roade so know area pretty well. Problem is lots of the folk looking at the 500k places will have a 400k place (that they paid 100k for) so the incremental cost doesn't look so crazy to them.

I used to think that the places in the highest tube zones were affordable, now their completely mental, 500k get you a shoe box here. People are laughing at me as I'm paying more rent than an average mortgage.

Good lord, spooky. I could have written that exact response!

Currently live in Harpenden but come from Northampton and constantly talk to my wife about what a difference 30 mins on the M1 makes in what your £ buys. Prices in Harpenden are beyond ridiculous. A mate just bought a house for near on £1m. Its not bad but in Northampton, it would have been £200k, tops.

Could you post a link to that thread please, would like to read it.

Thanks

Whoa 500 bags will get you a jolly nice place around there...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43501982.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26minPrice%3D350000%26maxPrice%3D500000%26radius%3D1.0%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26maxPrice%3D500000%26minPrice%3D300000%26previousSearchLocation%3DNorthampton%26radius%3D1.0%26searchLocation%3DNorthampton%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26box%3D-0.95596%2C-0.83992%2C52.19765%2C52.29792%26popupPropertyId%3D43501982&fromMap=true

I like this one because its near to the pub. :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39020917.html?premiumA=true

This Georgian vicarage is a quaint little thing.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43432832.html

This would be a solid choice too i think ...

And you could always go in at 490 on this double fronted..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41420032.html?premiumA=true

The thing is there is no need to spend that much....

I think this is a gem... 265K for a full on 4 level Victorian townhouse in Wellingborough

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41917345.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26minPrice%3D300000%26maxPrice%3D550000%26viewType%3DGRID%26radius%3D5.0%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26maxPrice%3D550000%26minPrice%3D230000%26previousSearchLocation%3DNorthampton%26radius%3D5.0%26searchLocation%3DNorthampton%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26viewType%3DGRID%26box%3D-0.72148%2C-0.66345%2C52.27387%2C52.32395%26popupPropertyId%3D41917345&fromMap=true

of course It would cost you about 10 times that amount in a nice part of London

other than that.. the main problem seems to be that Northampton has crappy housing stock... thats why I would stick with period..

I used to think that the places in the highest tube zones were affordable, now their completely mental, 500k get you a shoe box here. People are laughing at me as I'm paying more rent than an average mortgage.

I am in similar situation in Luton , rent on my 2 bed massionette which is at the very lowest level for the area still more than friends with 3 beds houses.Friends who had the Bank of M&D to help them out now benefiting hugely from low rates

Whoa 500 bags will get you a jolly nice place around there...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43501982.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26minPrice%3D350000%26maxPrice%3D500000%26radius%3D1.0%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26maxPrice%3D500000%26minPrice%3D300000%26previousSearchLocation%3DNorthampton%26radius%3D1.0%26searchLocation%3DNorthampton%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26box%3D-0.95596%2C-0.83992%2C52.19765%2C52.29792%26popupPropertyId%3D43501982&fromMap=true

I like this one because its near to the pub. :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39020917.html?premiumA=true

This Georgian vicarage is a quaint little thing.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43432832.html

This would be a solid choice too i think ...

And you could always go in at 490 on this double fronted..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41420032.html?premiumA=true

The thing is there is no need to spend that much....

I think this is a gem... 265K for a full on 4 level Victorian townhouse in Wellingborough

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41917345.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26minPrice%3D300000%26maxPrice%3D550000%26viewType%3DGRID%26radius%3D5.0%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1014%26maxPrice%3D550000%26minPrice%3D230000%26previousSearchLocation%3DNorthampton%26radius%3D5.0%26searchLocation%3DNorthampton%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26viewType%3DGRID%26box%3D-0.72148%2C-0.66345%2C52.27387%2C52.32395%26popupPropertyId%3D41917345&fromMap=true

of course It would cost you about 10 times that amount in a nice part of London

other than that.. the main problem seems to be that Northampton has crappy housing stock... thats why I would stick with period..

Not one detached for HALF A MILLION POUNDS, so you proved his point.

100% agreed with that.

At that price you don't want to be hearing the neighbours screaming at each other through the walls.

Value is much better in this area than say Surrey, but even so.

This is a decent sort of house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40300729.html?premiumA=true

but it's a drive to the station, then an expensive ride into London.

This is a decent sort of house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40300729.html?premiumA=true

but it's a drive to the station, then an expensive ride into London.

I'm sure plenty of people do it but for me Northampton isn't a commutable distant to London. I guess most agree with me too, hence the disparity in prices between there and the half hour to London on the train places. Stupid as prices still are relative to local earnings.

Oh because EVERYONE lives in a 5/6 bed detached HOUSE do they ?

Id much rather live in a nice little flat than some of those disgusting detached boxes of bricks that pass for homes in that part of the world.

I'm sure plenty of people do it but for me Northampton isn't a commutable distant to London. I guess most agree with me too, hence the disparity in prices between there and the half hour to London on the train places. Stupid as prices still are relative to local earnings.

Agreed. We live in Northampton & my partner is currently working late shift in north London (cockfosters) 5 days a week, but that's a 1 hour drive each way. To/from the city or canary wharf during rush hour is hellish for more than a couple of days a week.

I think there will come a point where more financial services type work moves outside the m25. I'd move to an employer in Milton Keynes for a 5k pay rise and anywhere north of the M25 for 10k, but you wouldn't get me to work out of central London daily without a huge pay rise, as the cost of moving into a comfortable commuting area would be commensuratly huge.

It's got to be increasingly hurting economic competitiveness, as the property cost in the commuter belt continues to spiral, the number of potential employees 'priced out' of the London labour market gets bigger, the business case to move work north must get more and more compelling?

Edited by disenfranchised

Oh because EVERYONE lives in a 5/6 bed detached HOUSE do they ?

Id much rather live in a nice little flat than some of those disgusting detached boxes of bricks that pass for homes in that part of the world.

Why didn't you post a link to a nice little flat then instead of large semis and townhouses?

Where did I say it had to be "5/6" bed? I only meant for HALF A MILLION pounds someone might expect not to have to worry about neighbour noise through the walls.

Why didn't you post a link to a nice little flat then instead of large semis and townhouses?

Where did I say it had to be "5/6" bed? I only meant for HALF A MILLION pounds someone might expect not to have to worry about neighbour noise through the walls.

Because its Northampton! there are precisely 3 flats in that price range and one of em looks like its a crime scene out of the Wire

I picked the semis and townhouses because they are solid high quality houses from back in days when people knew how to build houses.. I doubt you would get much noise through the walls unless you had some very loud neighbors and even then you got to be on pretty bad terms with them if you cant just tell them to turn the noise down a bit.

yeah for the same price you can get a detached house if questionable build quality.. but I'd rather have a central location and an older house