House Price Crash Forum

20000 Euro In Your Knickers

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544939/British-student-arrested-Heathrow-16-000-hidden-knickers-Syrian-fighters.html

Nawal Msaad, 26, was arrested as she prepared to fly to Istanbul

Undergraduate had 20,000 euros wrapped in clingfilm in her underwear

She and alleged co-conspirator Amal Elwahabi are the first British women to be charged with terror offences over the conflict in Syria

Britosn attempted to send notes to a suspected jihadist

Neither entered pleas as they appeared in front of court in Westminster

What did they have 20000 Euro in 10 Euro notes? Surely anyone attempting to smuggle the currency out would simply use 500 Euro notes, which would only be 40 notes.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm getting really confused now: I thought the position of the UK government was that Syrian rebel were freedom fighters, not terrorists? :huh:

How can she be charged with supporting terrorists when the government doesn't consider those fighters terrorists?

I'm getting the impression that the definition of who is a 'terrorist' changes by the minute to suit the interests of the government...

That said, she really is very pretty, I'd want to inspect her knickers too... :D

HOLA448

Pretty people can be radicalised as well I guess. Perhaps she was arrested by chance because the customs people wanted to look in her knickers.

It wasn't so much that she's attractive, though she really is. It's more that she is presenting herself the diametric opposite way to how one might expect from a radical muslim woman.

HOLA449

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544939/British-student-arrested-Heathrow-16-000-hidden-knickers-Syrian-fighters.html

What did they have 20000 Euro in 10 Euro notes? Surely anyone attempting to smuggle the currency out would simply use 500 Euro notes, which would only be 40 notes.

she's willingly going to a warzone and is still an undergrad at 26. Perhaps she's a bit slow.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Why is it illegal to take your own money with you when you go somewhere?

It isn't:

There are no limits on carrying cash out of the UK but anything at or over EUR10K has to be declared:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/declaring-cash.htm

I take about £2k in cash on touring holidays so I can avoid using my credit card here there and everywhere, it goes into the tray at customs and I've never had even a cursory enquiry.

HOLA4416

You could put 40 notes in your wallet. Nobody will notice it there.

HOLA4417

It wasn't so much that she's attractive, though she really is. It's more that she is presenting herself the diametric opposite way to how one might expect from a radical muslim woman.

Now that's what I call military deception. What next? Scoffing sausage rolls in public? Burning a Quran? If this carries on secret services will have nothing left in their locker to let them rule out Islamist suspects.

And to think that just today, or yesterday, there's some other 'strict' Muslim woman refusing to unveil themselves for the oath in court.

Re. prettiness, I think some people here are exaggerating, in the sense that she may be distinctive for a northern European, but probably not for a 26-year-old Mediterranean.

HOLA4418

I had about £600 pounds on me in a mixture of Swiss Francs, Pounds and Euros at Birmingham Airport a few months ago (I live in Switzerland), and was sniffed out by a dog that can smell money as well as drugs, only a brief intergeneration as >£1000 is considered suspicious (I know this because I asked a customs official when I was pulled aside on another occasion - I travel alot!!)

HOLA4419

I had about £600 pounds on me in a mixture of Swiss Francs, Pounds and Euros at Birmingham Airport a few months ago (I live in Switzerland), and was sniffed out by a dog that can smell money as well as drugs, only a brief intergeneration as >£1000 is considered suspicious (I know this because I asked a customs official when I was pulled aside on another occasion - I travel alot!!)

£600 is not suspicious. I imagine the dog could smell the cocaine, previously snorted through the notes.

HOLA4420

Is it illegal to carry cash?

Good thing they don't check everyone on the Swiss borders if so.... :-)

Limit is 10K euros between CH and FR and yes, they do check.

The missus once had to deal with a Indian bloke who was stopped at Roissy with 100K in his rucksack. I think the money was seized in the end.

> You could put 40 notes in your wallet. Nobody will notice it there.

500 euro notes are quite big, and 40 is quite fat, they won't go in my wallet. The worst time was when I went for my wages and the bank only had 10 euro notes but the tot and I had quite good fun throwing them around the lounge until the missus stopped us saying it was bad taste.

HOLA4421

The missus once had to deal with a Indian bloke who was stopped at Roissy with 100K in his rucksack. I think the money was seized in the end.

> You could put 40 notes in your wallet. Nobody will notice it there.

500 euro notes are quite big, and 40 is quite fat, they won't go in my wallet. The worst time was when I went for my wages and the bank only had 10 euro notes but the tot and I had quite good fun throwing them around the lounge until the missus stopped us saying it was bad taste.

!

Throw away the "Hello Kitty" purse and buy a wallet for "men"! :o

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

That's a EU limit, the Swiss don't have any limits, you can bring into Switzerland or take out of Switzerland as much as you like without declaring anything. It's the French/Germans/Italians that will check when you enter their countries coming from CH.

HOLA4424

£600 is not suspicious. I imagine the dog could smell the cocaine, previously snorted through the notes.

The dog started jumping up and yapping (small dog) towards where my wallet was in my front jeans pocket, pretty scary, I thought it was going for my groin!

The dog can sniff the ink on the note (according to the ever reliable Daily Mail) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-197623/Dogs-help-sniff-crime-cash.html

Re: moving money into Switzerland, I think the bloke who got done for a Nazi art stash initially came under suspicion when he was found with a few thousand euros on him while travelling by train to Switzerland (I assume he was caught on the German side of the border), so there are checks.

HOLA4425

Re: moving money into Switzerland, I think the bloke who got done for a Nazi art stash initially came under suspicion when he was found with a few thousand euros on him while travelling by train to Switzerland (I assume he was caught on the German side of the border), so there are checks.

Yes there are but it's the Germans/Italians/French doing the checks, not the Swiss (the Swiss check your shopping when you are a Swiss resident returning from a foreign shopping trip to charge you taxes on it but they don't care about the cash you carry). I have been living in CH for quite a few years now crossing the border many times so I'm speaking from experience.

Archived