House Price Crash Forum

Brick Shortage?

Ash4781

HOLA441

I did a thread years ago on brick production and mothballed plants but it seems there is now a shortage of bricks and concrete blocks. I have just listened to an article on 5live detailing one restart firing up ovens. I guess they have done a brick price forecast. Bricks and mortar :)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/10/brick-shortage-threatens-construction-sector-recovery

HOLA442
HOLA443

Sorry, that was me. I bought 10,000 bricks and ~1000 blocks before the rush.

I wanted a load of soft reds but they were sold out so went I for semi-engineering seconds which were pretty cheap at 20p each in bulk.

Even if you can get the bricks, getting a decent bricklayer is a lot harder. The ones that can lay in a straight line all seem to be in their 50's now with knackered backs and shoulders.

If there is a building boom, they won't be anyone left to put the bricks up.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Even if you can get the bricks, getting a decent bricklayer is a lot harder. The ones that can lay in a straight line all seem to be in their 50's now with knackered backs and shoulders.

I do wonder with all the youngsters staying on at school till they are 21 when they leave school will they want to lay bricks for a living. I think a lot off them would see the job as beneath them and want somebody else to do it.

HOLA447

I wanted a load of soft reds but they were sold out so went I for semi-engineering seconds which were pretty cheap at 20p each in bulk.

I hear there is rather high unemployment in Ireland and Spain...

HOLA448

I do wonder with all the youngsters staying on at school till they are 21 when they leave school will they want to lay bricks for a living. I think a lot off them would see the job as beneath them and want somebody else to do it.

Young people will do it if the pay is decent.

I think this whole ageist "youngsters think these jobs are beneath them" meme is pretty muddled. Youngsters don't see much point in work which doesn't pay enough to live like an independent adult and never realistically will no matter how many years they stick at it. Old people find this hard to understand because their wages did pay enough to live like independent adults and they don't realise that this has changed.

HOLA449

why do we need bickies when a robot can do the job cheaper and better? Of course you will always get the traditionalists who aregue the old way is better - live vinyl and CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMx2A4lsL6Y

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Why do we need bricks? There's far more interesting and advanced constructions methods about nowadays.

Exactly, I hear that modern timber frame houses like they build here in Ireland and in the US are much more energy efficient than traditional brick houses.

Don't listen to me though as I firmly believe that most buildings over 60 years old should be knocked and energy efficient houses with parking should be built.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

why do we need bickies when a robot can do the job cheaper and better? Of course you will always get the traditionalists who aregue the old way is better - live vinyl and CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMx2A4lsL6Y

That looks painfuly slow then you have to take into acount the time taken to lay out the tracks it would have to run on then who cuts the bricks that needs cutting

The tecnolgy to do this has been about for the best part of two decades now so how come every bulding site is no full of them

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Never knew that brick laying robots existed. Kinda makes sense for very large buildings like part-walled warehouses, the initial setting up would pay for itself.

Our window cleaner is currently training as a brickie, he mentioned that although his work quality is good, the laying rates that are expected on out on building sites are scary, he can't see how he'll ever be able to achieve them. Maybe that's why newbuilds look a bit 'wobbly'

HOLA4416

I think this whole ageist "youngsters think these jobs are beneath them" meme is pretty muddled. Youngsters don't see much point in work which doesn't pay enough to live like an independent adult and never realistically will no matter how many years they stick at it. Old people find this hard to understand because their wages did pay enough to live like independent adults and they don't realise that this has changed.

+1

Not to mention the cost of getting there in the first place.

HOLA4417

Work for a major construction company and we have been told the lead time for most bricks is now 16-20 WEEKS. I understand a major rival housebuilder has been aware of the shortage for some time, and has been stockpiling them in a secure field for some time.

HOLA4418

Never knew that brick laying robots existed. Kinda makes sense for very large buildings like part-walled warehouses, the initial setting up would pay for itself.

Our window cleaner is currently training as a brickie, he mentioned that although his work quality is good, the laying rates that are expected on out on building sites are scary, he can't see how he'll ever be able to achieve them. Maybe that's why newbuilds look a bit 'wobbly'

With practice he'll get the speed, however it's a question of whether someone will give him the time to speed up.

HOLA4419

Work for a major construction company and we have been told the lead time for most bricks is now 16-20 WEEKS. I understand a major rival housebuilder has been aware of the shortage for some time, and has been stockpiling them in a secure field for some time.

House built with stolen bricks to be pulled down type headlines?

HOLA4420

+1

Seems plenty of youngsters sign up at local Kirklees College. The brick laying courses are very good apparently

http://www.kirkleescollege.ac.uk/video/9S2IiT46hrs

But, yeh lets import a load of foreigners because 'Brits are feckless' and don't want to learn a trade.

HOLA4421