House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Central Heating 'could Make You Fat'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/success-stories/central-heating-could-make-you-3051632#.UuDrlrRFDIU

Turning the central heating down not only saves money but could keep you slim, say scientists.

Evidence suggests that feeling the cold may be a healthy and sustainable way to lose weight, say experts.

Conversely, warm and cosy homes and offices may be contributing to expanding waistlines, it is claimed.

The theory from Dutch scientists follows 10 years of research into the effects of mild degrees of cold on metabolism.

It suggest that a more variable indoor temperature, one that more closely mirrors temperatures outside, may be beneficial.

At least among young and middle-aged people, non-shivering heat production in response to feeling cold can account for up to 30% of the body’s energy budget, say the scientists.

Luckily as people get priced out of energy only the rich will be fat?

Makes sense, calories are energy that help keep you warm.....breathing burns calories so does running on the spot....so deep breathing and shivering burns energy. ;)

And there was me thinking that eating more calories than you use makes you fat.

If heat made you fat, surely most Africans would be fat, but they're not.

Oh hang on, perhaps it's got something to do with eating less and exercising more?

Can I have a research grant and some BBC airtime, please? :rolleyes:

Makes sense, calories are energy that help keep you warm.....breathing burns calories so does running on the spot....so deep breathing and shivering burns energy. ;)

If you eat less you don't need to burn excess calories. This seem like another study that tries to deflect from the fecking obvious:

Eat healthy (no processed food and no junk food) and you will stay fit, regardless of central-heating or exercise.

I lost 16kg a few years ago simply by switching to a healthy diet (no wheat, no sugar, no fried food, no processed junk, only home-cooked food made from raw ingredients) without doing any exercise and without turning the heating down.

---

Which is fine cos the UK will get very thin if the heating goes off:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/22/eon-close-power-stations-blackout

If we get a few more winters like this one maybe they won't need the capacity. Mildest December since 1988, and January looking even milder so far. Should give the energy companies a deserved kicking..................

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries

And there was me thinking that eating more calories than you use makes you fat.

Oh dear, I see another diet thread coming on. Nobody mention climate change or cycle helmets.

If we get a few more winters like this one maybe they won't need the capacity. Mildest December since 1988, and January looking even milder so far. Should give the energy companies a deserved kicking..................

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries

Presumably this means the Daily Express will finally go out of business if they can't run any WHITE HELL TO HIT BRITAIN stories?

If you eat less you don't need to burn excess calories. This seem like another study that tries to deflect from the fecking obvious:

Eat healthy (no processed food and no junk food) and you will stay fit, regardless of central-heating or exercise.

I lost 16kg a few years ago simply by switching to a healthy diet (no wheat, no sugar, no fried food, no processed junk, only home-cooked food made from raw ingredients) without doing any exercise and without turning the heating down.

---

Eating a healthy diet will make you feel good, have more energy, more concentration and help to live a longer life, but like anything everything in moderation.....going without things like bread, sugar, fried food or exercise is not moderation it is an extreme.....no need to go to extremes, then you can turn the heating down if fit and healthy and not very young or old. ;)

I have to say I've thought this for some time and it ties in to my own experiences from years gone by of living in draughty flats and being too tight to turn the heating on. However I have another related theory which is that living this way makes you hotter and more likely to sweat and be uncomfortable in the summer because your faster metabolism doesn't suddenly slow down when the sun comes out.

going without things like bread, sugar, fried food or exercise is not moderation it is an extreme.....no need to go to extremes, then you can turn the heating down if fit and healthy and not very young or old. ;)

It might look extreme to you since you are probably so used the current standard UK diet (which is extremely unhealthy), but when you stop and think about it you will realise how unnatural and therefore how unhealthy it is to eat industrially produced processed and refined foods. The human body wasn't made to eat modern wheat (which has a much higher gluten content than ancient wheat varieties), isolated sugars, or even worse junk food.

A man from 200 years ago would have considered our current standard diet to be extreme in every way: too fatty, too sweet, too many calories, too many allergens.

Obesity and cancer have never been more prevalent and you see no connection to stuffing yourself with sugar, fried food and other junk like that on a daily basis?

Saying you have to eat 'healthily in moderation' is nonsense, the healthier your diet, the healthier you will live.

---

It might look extreme to you since you are probably so used the current standard UK diet (which is extremely unhealthy), but when you stop and think about it you will realise how unnatural and therefore how unhealthy it is to eat industrially produced processed and refined foods. The human body wasn't made to eat modern wheat (which has a much higher gluten content than ancient wheat varieties), isolated sugars, or even worse junk food.

A man from 200 years ago would have considered our current standard diet to be extreme in every way: too fatty, too sweet, too many calories, too many allergens.

Obesity and cancer have never been more prevalent and you see no connection to stuffing yourself with sugar, fried food and other junk like that on a daily basis?

Saying you have to eat 'healthily in moderation' is nonsense, the healthier your diet, the healthier you will live.

---

Yes, processed and junk not at all good for you.......will continue to eat homemade bread and butter, sometimes make rye sourbread...... just made some seville marmalade with fresh fruit and sugar, will not be eating a jar a day a week or a month. ;)