House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Headteacher Imposes £60 Fines On Each Parent If Their Child Is A Few Minutes Late For School

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544033/Headteacher-imposes-60-fines-parents-child-minutes-LATE-school-fine-DOUBLING-120-not-paid-21-days.html

A headteacher has warned parents they will be fined £60 each if one of their children is a few minutes late for school.

Both the pupil's mother and father will be forced to pay the penalty if they miss registration 10 times in a 12-week term.

And if the fine issued by Emerson Valley School in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, is not paid within 21 days it will double to £120.

Would these fines be enforceable in a court?

More utter madness and will the school keep the revenue?

Reminds me of an idiot teacher who had a go at me for being late in once when the traffic was worse than usual and the bus late (by 20 minutes). The moron just told me to catch an earlier bus, I told him that 7:45 was quite early enough (I had quite a way to go). As for being fined, can't see how it could be enforced.

Can't be legal. Head seems to be completely overstepping his authority. Seems to be a lot of it about with our public servants these days.

Perhaps the parents could counter-fine if the child is late home.

Or fine the school if the kid doesn't get all A`s.

Or perhaps just invoice them for any private tutoring you`ve felt necessary to make up for the schools failures.

Am speechless...

Penalty notice Instead of being prosecuted, you can be given a penalty notice. The penalty is £60, rising to £120 if it isn't paid within 28 days. If you don't pay the fine, you'll be prosecuted.

Prosecution

You could get a fine of up to £2,500, a community order or a jail sentence up to 3 months. The court also gives you a Parenting Order.

https://www.gov.uk/s...hool-attendance

Am I the only one who agrees with the headteacher's move?

Kids who are late for school disrupt the whole class. Sometimes it just happens - car breaks down, for example - but if it's a regular occurrence then screw the parents. IMO.

A bit of modern schooling where the children are not in charge for once ? Sounds good.

Am speechless...

Penalty notice Instead of being prosecuted, you can be given a penalty notice. The penalty is £60, rising to £120 if it isn't paid within 28 days. If you don't pay the fine, you'll be prosecuted.

Prosecution

You could get a fine of up to £2,500, a community order or a jail sentence up to 3 months. The court also gives you a Parenting Order.

https://www.gov.uk/s...hool-attendance

It si shocking. But I don't think the school has the authority to levy the fine itself; that would be in breach of the Bill of Rights.

Also, being a few minutes late cannot reasonably be construed as non-attendance.

Kids who are late for school disrupt the whole class. Sometimes it just happens - car breaks down, for example - but if it's a regular occurrence then screw the parents. IMO.

Then just exclude late kids from joining the class until the next lesson break.

In the 6th form I was always late for school. Used to sneak in once the assembly was over, couldn't be doing with all the god-bothering myself. Often used to meet my form master coming in the other direction, who's official starting time was the same as mine.

In the 6th form I was always late for school. Used to sneak in once the assembly was over, couldn't be doing with all the god-bothering myself. Often used to meet my form master coming in the other direction, who's official starting time was the same as mine.

In secondary school I was regularly an hour late. I'd learnt that I could miss the first lesson that morning without incurring an actual absentee strike for the whole morning by not being later than one hour. You had to walk into the deputy headmasters waiting area to sign a late book, and you always kept your fingers crossed the deputy head wasn't around when you crept in haha, or you'd get an ear bashing. Missed many P.E. lessons thanks to that trick :)

I wasn't a "wayward child" though by any means at all. When there I generally did what I was told. I just hated the place with a passion, and would find any excuse not to be there.

If you are late for school, the lesson has started without you, and you missed a bit! That is all.

There should be no charge for this. I don't see that it could be legally enforced.

10 times in a 12 week term.

12 weeks x 5 = 60 days. So late 16% of the time.

So accounts quite well for the ocassional traffic jam or emergency. Basically is there to call to account persistently late offenders.

Sounds fine to me. I don't have any kids, but parents keep telling me how important it is that I pay my share towards their kids education.

Well if that is the case then the least they can do is turn up for it.

Edit : What would happen if you turned up late for work 16% of the time ?

10 times in a 12 week term.

12 weeks x 5 = 60 days. So late 16% of the time.

So accounts quite well for the ocassional traffic jam or emergency. Basically is there to call to account persistently late offenders.

Sounds fine to me. I don't have any kids, but parents keep telling me how important it is that I pay my share towards their kids education.

Well if that is the case then the least they can do is turn up for it.

Edit : What would happen if you turned up late for work 16% of the time ?

Thin end of the wedge. This kind of adversarial approach to parent teacher relations seems likely to have a deleterious effect on the childrens education.

I agree.

It is very disruptive to have kids keep coming in late.

Punctuality is an essential skill and one that parents should have mastered and be able to teach their kids.

Perhaps lessons in setting an alarm clock might be a first step though.

Do they not have registration groups in schools anymore? The one I went too we’d be bollocked for being late for the RG, but that wasn’t a lesson, just a chat with your pals for 15/20 mins before lessons started both in the morning and afternoon. Can’t ever remember someone walking into a lesson late, perhaps wasn’t allowed :|

A school round here was closed for a week due to a couple of classrooms being flooded.

Parents just contacted and told take your kids home.

The school did not consider taking the classes to the main hall or other vacant room.

thats 5 days lost and no penalty....and this is news I heard at the Job club from the Council staff member...she said she knew about this as two club members with kids at that school had recently started jobs....not a great start and no comeback on the school.

And yet, had those two parents taken a holiday.......

Thin end of the wedge. This kind of adversarial approach to parent teacher relations seems likely to have a deleterious effect on the childrens education.

Fantastic. Can we have the same treatment for speeding fines ?

After all, it has a deleterious effect on my regard for the police, and I have a whole bunch of excuses as to why I should be allowed to do it.

Parents expect a very high duty of care to their children from the state at the current time. So it is not unreasonable to expect that the state should demand similar from the parents.

Maybe parents should be allowed to sign a waiver, which basically removes any right for them to complain about the quality of education/standard of care that their kids get, and makes them immune from receiving fines for their kids being late.

My daughter has two kids and lives within walking distance of the primary school. Two weeks ago, she went out the front door, with her daughter, 5, and son, 3. The latter stepped into some particularly messy dog pooh, requiring a return home for clean up.

Needless to say, they were late, and would have incurred double fines under this daft and fascist idea.

Maybe parents should be allowed to sign a waiver, which basically removes any right for them to complain about the quality of education/standard of care that their kids get, and makes them immune from receiving fines for their kids being late.

They can complain, they just cannot choose not to pay which would make far more difference. How many independant fee paying schools will be following suit do you think?

My daughter has two kids and lives within walking distance of the primary school. Two weeks ago, she went out the front door, with her daughter, 5, and son, 3. The latter stepped into some particularly messy dog pooh, requiring a return home for clean up.

Needless to say, they were late, and would have incurred double fines under this daft and fascist idea.

Wow, her kids stepped in dog poo 10 times out of 60 days?

Maybe it would be good to teach them to look where they are going. You are never too young to learn.

Either that or complain to the council about the dog poo, because clearly if her kids are stepping in it that often there is too much of it about.