House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Police To Ask Home Secretary To Approve Use Of Water Cannon Across Country

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/22/police-home-secretary-approve-use-water-cannon-austerity-protest

Chief constables are shortly to press the home secretary, Theresa May, to authorise the use of water cannon by any police force across England and Wales to deal with anticipated street protests.

The Association of Chief Police Officers says that the need to control continued protests "from ongoing and potential future austerity measures" justifies the introduction of water cannon across Britain for the first time.

The London mayor, Boris Johnson, has already announced a consultation on the introduction of water cannon on to the streets of London ready for use by this summer.

Water cannon austerity.

Apparently, when the St. Mark of Duggan riots started, many MPs were amazed to find that the mainland Police did not have any water cannon.

Water? Pshaw...

Why not just get some Predator drones?

Or some little assassin drones to kill troublemakers at home?

As time goes on, I may get around to thinking Injin is right. :angry:

I find it intriguing that it's "deploy water canon".

Not, "deploy the water canonS" in plural.

As if there is one entity of water canons connected through retarded military/police language.

I find it intriguing that it's "deploy water canon".

Not, "deploy the water canonS" in plural.

As if there is one entity of water canons connected through retarded military/police language.

Why would the police want to use a wet priest?

I'm genuinely surprised they're talking about stuff as old-fashioned and low-tech as water cannon(s).

I would have thought some nice shiny new LRADs were much more in keeping with the whole 'Butch in Black' 21st century paramilitary stormtrooper vibe. Better potential for kick-backs from the manufacturers too.

Isn't it wet enough?

Police deployed water cannon 6 times in Newcastle on saturday nights. No one noticed, they just thought the rain was a bit warmer than usual.

My bad, an LRAD has already been deployed in the UK...

BBC: Sonic device deployed in London during Olympics

I thought our(?) security services wouldn't be able to resist them. They're what Darth would use.

The cool thing about LRADs is that you can claim that you're deploying them as expensive, overly-specified PA systems, not as weapons. The people flogging water cannon(s) have missed a trick there. As has already been suggested, maybe they could be deployed for fire-fighting and rose-sprinkling duties.

Why are they talking about this in relation to protests? Are they going to be shooting them at rioters or political protesters?

Seems to me they want to be able to do both :angry:

Water? Pshaw...

Why not just get some Predator drones?

Or some little assassin drones to kill troublemakers at home?

As time goes on, I may get around to thinking Injin is right. :angry:

Police ask for water cannon (hosepipes or ????), Blair would've said they need something stronger and given them napalm. Let's see what happens with the current lot.

What if the rioting season happened in a time of water shortage?

There should be a measured response to this request....like the rest of us with water meters.

Apparently, when the St. Mark of Duggan riots started, many MPs were amazed to find that the mainland Police did not have any water cannon.

Yes - I recall at the time I wrote a song called 'Won't You Please Oblige Us With a Water Cannon' to the tune of Noel Coward's 'Won't You Please Oblige Us With a Bren Gun' (a satirical song from WW2 about the lack of weapons for the Home Guard) but I've lost it now.

As another poster points out, if it happened in summer, the police would probably not be allowed to use it anyway if there was a hosepipe ban....

Jeez, what happened to the olden days when one home sec would have another arrested. Friggin water being used to disperse riots, I would've thought they could do this anyway, seems common sense.

Anyway - get sprayed with water cannon - collect 1 million compensation and roll dice once more. This water was tainted and it has given me a bad hair day for life, how am I to go out in public.