House Price Crash Forum

Yid Army No More

Rave

HOLA441

http://news.sky.com/story/1198758/tottenham-fans-charged-over-yid-chants

Admittedly details are scant at the moment, I was alerted to the arrests by Old Holborn retweeting the Met's announcement on Twitter that fans had been arrested for using the 'Y word'. Of course I immediately tweeted them back calling them the 'c word' ('c'oppers obviously :rolleyes: ) .

Reading the story at least two of them must be actual Tottenham fans, as the 'offences' occurred at a Europa League tie with FC Sheriff. I just don't get this AT ALL. Tottenham have a history of Jewish supporters- their non-Jewish fans have clearly embraced this. I just cannot see how even the most intellectually challenged anti-Semite could think that they were achieving anything in the War On Zionism by turning up to a Tottenham match and shouting "Yid Army!" with the rest of them?

I personally am of mixed Saxon/Celt ancestry as far as I can tell. But my wife's grandmother was of German Jewish stock, and her cousin on that side (who is a Tottenham fan) gifted me a 'Yid Army' T-shirt a couple of years ago. I didn't grow up with any football allegiance, my dad was a Rugby fan, but I've started following Crystal Palace for no better reason than my mate at work is a die hard fan, and going to away games with him is top entertainment. Nontheless I'm minded to put on the aforementioned Yid Army T-Shirt and turn up to the trial of these poor unfortunates.

Admittedly I dunno where I'm going with this post other than spitting my bile and anger into the ether. Any Jewish people here? Are you offended by Tottenham fans calling themselves the 'Yid Army', and if so I'm all ears as to why it upsets you?

HOLA442

It's all pretty daft. Most white Europeans and Londoners, will probably find a Yid ancestor. That's me included! It's not a problem for me since I'm not in the Nazi Party in 1933.

I imagine football is as appealing to Yids, as it is to Muslims. Pretty popular in that part of the World, where the dark light of Baseball has never cast its shadow! :huh:

HOLA443

It does sounds like some spoof comedy episode, one of those riffing sketches by Bird and Fortune.

It's a total waste of police and legal time. Nobody who is remotely anti-semitic will be a Spurs supporter who sits in the stands and chants "Yid Army, Yid Army", it's a football thing like the monkey hangers of Hartlepool and nobody liking Millwall (or MK Dons, come to that).

HOLA444

This country is becoming more pathetic by the day. When was the last day the media didn't have a story about someone being offended by something ?

For the first time i am starting to think about options abroad. I am getting to the point where this once great country quite frankly disgusts me. All rather depressing. :(

HOLA445

"Ditchman, from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, allegedly used bad language in the Barclays Premier League game with West Ham on October 6."

I am not usually lost for words - but ****** me - the time has come. Staggering.

HOLA446
All three are accused of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

Suggest they put the word around, and get 50,000 Tottenham supporters outide the courthouse ready to give evidence that they weren't likely to be caused alarm, harassment or distress. So who was finding it distressful, our boys in blue?

HOLA447

Admittedly details are scant at the moment, I was alerted to the arrests by Old Holborn retweeting the Met's announcement on Twitter that fans had been arrested for using the 'Y word'. Of course I immediately tweeted them back calling them the 'c word' ('c'oppers obviously :rolleyes: ) .

Reading the story at least two of them must be actual Tottenham fans, as the 'offences' occurred at a Europa League tie with FC Sheriff. I just don't get this AT ALL. Tottenham have a history of Jewish supporters- their non-Jewish fans have clearly embraced this. I just cannot see how even the most intellectually challenged anti-Semite could think that they were achieving anything in the War On Zionism by turning up to a Tottenham match and shouting "Yid Army!" with the rest of them?

I personally am of mixed Saxon/Celt ancestry as far as I can tell. But my wife's grandmother was of German Jewish stock, and her cousin on that side (who is a Tottenham fan) gifted me a 'Yid Army' T-shirt a couple of years ago. I didn't grow up with any football allegiance, my dad was a Rugby fan, but I've started following Crystal Palace for no better reason than my mate at work is a die hard fan, and going to away games with him is top entertainment. Nontheless I'm minded to put on the aforementioned Yid Army T-Shirt and turn up to the trial of these poor unfortunates.

Admittedly I dunno where I'm going with this post other than spitting my bile and anger into the ether. Any Jewish people here? Are you offended by Tottenham fans calling themselves the 'Yid Army', and if so I'm all ears as to why it upsets you?

the Cultural Marxists pushing this don't care about individual guilt or innocence, nor individual rights

it's about reprogramming the majority by control of language. "for the greater good".

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100178296/criticising-cultural-marxism-doesnt-make-you-anders-breivik/

HOLA448
HOLA449

Perhaps we should start prosecuting homosexuals who call themselves "queer", or ban rap music that uses the word "n1gger" (plus it's crap anyway...).

The whole thing was brought about by the Society of Black Lawyers (by definition, a racist group) complaining.

HOLA4410

Perhaps we should start prosecuting homosexuals who call themselves "queer", or ban rap music that uses the word "n1gger" (plus it's crap anyway...).

The whole thing was brought about by the Society of Black Lawyers (by definition, a racist group) complaining.

more radical suggestion: how about we stop prosecuting people for calling other people names?

sticks and stones etc.

Just don't worry about it.

that's what I tell my kids.

HOLA4411

Perhaps proclaiming you are the Yid Army is offensive and threatening to other minorities? Maybe we are looking at this thru' the wrong end of the telescope?

I doubt many Palestinians go to Spurs games :D

As for the other fans angle corevalue - quite a good idea.

In a football ground could only really be classed as those in the surrounding sections that could hear an individual. So canvass all those around. Get witness statements from as many as possible. Produce to the prosecution and ask them to produce similar for those apparently offended.

If its 100-1 then i don't see how they could be convicted. Then again in this ******ed up country who knows.

HOLA4412

It seems it is 'Hate Crime Awareness Week' (20th to 26th January).

Just been sent a calendar of events around the town. Somewhere in PR land there are schemes to raise the profile and make a difference. I liked it better when we all more or less got along, had banter; rather than this paranoia from a badly drafted, ever-expanding, catch-all Neu Labour law. Sticks and stones... If you are looking for hatred look no further than the world of right-left politics.

HOLA4413

I am 100% goy but my wife is Jewish

Yiddish not Hebrew was the everyday language of most European Jews until Hitler and the Nazis murdered nearly all of them.

After the war the decline of Yiddish culture was accelerated when the Israelis chose Hebrew as their national language (much to the chagrin of some Orthodox Jews who regard the latter as a sacred language).

The fact that people are being persecuted for identifying themselves with this ancient but threatened cultural heritage (even in a crude and unsophisticated way at football matches ) is a bizarre manifestation of the modern Primitivism that lies at the heart of PC totalitarianism. It can not distinguish the intent with which is a word is used from the word itself. It is a kind of pagan literalism that thinks objects or words have some sort of inherent power just a medieval reliquaries full of saints bones or bits of the true cross were thought to contain the essence of Christianity

One assumes if Sophie Tucker were alive today and did her rendition of My Yiddishe Momma at a Tottenham game she would get banged up by plod as well

Amazing that British courts are trying to complete Hitlers work by extirpating the last traces of European Yiddish cultural identity

Even stranger that the criminal justice system appear to be so keen to persecute Tottenham fans for identifying themselves as Jewish (even if they are not) while taking absolutely no action against Nicolas Anelka whose gesture would be identified by nearly all Jews as a very pointed racial insult

Anyway I am off to hide my Klezmer records before they get confiscated

On edit - David Cameron actually spoke some sense on this topic when he said

There was "a difference between Spurs fans self-describing themselves as 'Yids' and someone calling someone a 'Yid' as an insult", adding: "You have to be motivated by hate. Hate speech should be prosecuted – but only when it's motivated by hate."

HOLA4414

Another mentalness story tonight.

You have probably heard about the Stan Collymore TWitter abuse story from recent days.

Just saw an advert for crimewatch tonight. This is going to be on it.

And no - i am not joking. A footballer getting verbal abuse on the internet is apparently one of the most important criminal cases in this country at present.

I sometimes wonder if i am in some Truman show type of programme and everyone is voting for more and more ridiculous things to wind me up till i explode. If so - they are doing a fine job.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Unbelievable about #Crimewatch. Seems to all part of the co-ordinated attack on Twitter. Problem-Reaction-Solution. Do something about these nasty words.

Don't watch #cw nor understand the fuss about Colleymore except that it involved upsetting Liverpool fans with an opinion. Poor old Old Holborn seems to have upset the fraternity - they are legion.

HOLA4417

Unbelievable about #Crimewatch. Seems to all part of the co-ordinated attack on Twitter. Problem-Reaction-Solution. Do something about these nasty words.

Don't watch #cw nor understand the fuss about Colleymore except that it involved upsetting Liverpool fans with an opinion. Poor old Old Holborn seems to have upset the fraternity - they are legion.

Twitter football, footballers and football supporters seem to be a pretty poisonous mix.

Quite why people get so worked up about 22 men kicking a ball around a field is beyond me.

It becomes even more pointless when most of the players are not British and most do not have more than a fleeting loyalty to the clubs for which they play or to their fans.

At the end of the day Twitter operates entirely from the USA which is outside the jurisdiction of British law so while its UK users may be prosecuted for their abusive behaviour the company itself can not be compelled to do anything no matter how much some people in this country think it should be held 'responsible'. In the global scheme of things neither Collymore or Talksport matter a damn. All they can really do is stop using Twitter but that would be PR death for many of sports self publicists so I wont hold my breath waiting for that to happen

HOLA4418

Basically people are lazy. The beauty of chasing up internet abuse is you can do it from your chair in your nice warm office, it's not dangerous and there's a ready made record.

Very true. This 'crime' looked ridiculous when discussed between the other real serious crimes on the programme.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I am 100% goy but my wife is Jewish

Hey, your kids, if you have some, will be well well qualified to be Yids! I'm qualified too, but I have no feeling to join the "religion"! Being a Catholic Jew was enough to turn me off religion for life! ;):blink: Still appreciate the culture though! See me at a Bah Mitvah soon in my Pakistan cricket shirt! ;)

HOLA4421
Guest TheBlueCat

Hey, your kids, if you have some, will be well well qualified to be Yids! I'm qualified too, but I have no feeling to join the "religion"! Being a Catholic Jew was enough to turn me off religion for life! ;):blink: Still appreciate the culture though! See me at a Bah Mitvah soon in my Pakistan cricket shirt! ;)

If you never explicitly enrolled as a member of another religion, you could even get Israeli citizenship (although you do have to there and learn Hebrew to show you're serious).

Archived