House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Dvd Box Sets

My transformation from a Fox Mulder style character to a Victor Meldrew style one continues ;)

What is it with box-sets?

Our of the last four we have bought, all four have at least one faulty disc.

Star Trek Enterprise, Inspector Morse, Cracker, and now The X-Files.

I don't mean it fails after it's been left lying around - I mean it won't play the first time you even try it. Or, it will play, but at least one episode is unwatchable.

On the Cracker one I suspect it's the way that the edge looks a bit like it was smoothed out with a pumice stone.

Are we just unlucky with these or have the production values fallen drastically over the years?

My transformation from a Fox Mulder style character to a Victor Meldrew style one continues ;)

What is it with box-sets?

Our of the last four we have bought, all four have at least one faulty disc.

Star Trek Enterprise, Inspector Morse, Cracker, and now The X-Files.

I don't mean it fails after it's been left lying around - I mean it won't play the first time you even try it. Or, it will play, but at least one episode is unwatchable.

On the Cracker one I suspect it's the way that the edge looks a bit like it was smoothed out with a pumice stone.

Are we just unlucky with these or have the production values fallen drastically over the years?

If you watch X files season 7, ep2, they explain why that happens and what the bees have to do with it, and how owners of such box sets die mysteriously

Hope that's not the disc you are missing.......

If you watch X files season 7, ep2, they explain why that happens and what the bees have to do with it, and how owners of such box sets die mysteriously

Hope that's not the disc you are missing.......

Giggles - no, it's season 3 I think - called Home - the one with the weird nutters that bury their babies in the field outside. It makes it to about 12 minutes in and then the picture vanishes without a trace ;)

We bought it for ourselves for Christmas and have watched pretty much nothing else since then.

Absolutely marvellous series.

Maybe your player is faulty? I have only rarely had a dud disk. Try a lens cleaner.

Giggles - no, it's season 3 I think - called Home - the one with the weird nutters that bury their babies in the field outside. It makes it to about 12 minutes in and then the picture vanishes without a trace ;)

We bought it for ourselves for Christmas and have watched pretty much nothing else since then.

Absolutely marvellous series.

I sell dvd's, it sounds like it may be your machine as suggested, clean it.

Otherwise, IME you've been very unlucky with such a high failure rate

Home ep. is tops with Wonderful tune .

One of my faves is "

It was written by William Gibson

I had virtually no problem with my DVDs discs (though my older DVD players tended not like my DVDs smudged) and my Blu Ray player is vastly superior (my well worn DVD copy of Castle of Cagliostro plays clean as a whistle, but jumps for a second partway through - I'm intending to repair it - and some old second DVDs of Stargate SG-1 a couple of years ago started to break apart around the inner ring, presumably because the last owner didn't store them properly or/and played them to death).

It does indeed sound like a player issue.

Yeah, most probably - on a DVD player I bought back in 2003 (an eternity for electronic goods) a Studio Ghibli movie froze partway through, in a relatively new (but cheap 'n nasty Toshiba) DVD player it occasionally flicked back between different play modes, and on my Panasonic mid range Blu Ray player it plays clean as a whistle, with nothing really wrong with the DVD disc at all (also a more powerful, sophisticated lasers in Blu Ray players can seemingly play smudged or slightly scratched discs and discs with multiple play modes on them well).

DVD players on games consoles are OK, but not the best.

New Blu Ray players, of a decent brand, are not that expensive now, and "upscale" DVDs nicely. Check whether you need analog sound outputs. Most are now HDMI only.