House Price Crash Forum
Tempest

Who "in Power" Visits Hpc?

A semi-serious question. We once had a poll as to where HPC users came from and what they did etc etc. All very interesting and a diverse bunch we are.

However, could Webmaster find out (if he wished) from which entities/organisations HPC visitors come (eg through their IP addresses)? Mischievous (and I am not for one moment suggesting revealing of individual's identities as we all value our personal anonymity) but it would be interesting to know how often there are the odd visitors from the BoE, Whitehall, Treasury, wider Govt, or for that matter, the BBC, Newspapers, Estate Agents, property organisations, media sector, financial sector etc etc.

I do not know the legal restrictions if any but it would be great to see any high profile IP sources..

If we had any BoE visitors from time to time I would be made up!

How far has HPC percolated?

If this is impossible I am sure I will be roundly bashed for being an IT ignoramus but its a nice thought for me!

Edited by Tempest

Guest consa

A semi-serious question. We once had a poll as to where HPC users came from and what they did etc etc. All very interesting and a diverse bunch we are.

However, could Webmaster find out (if he wished) from which entities/organisations HPC visitors come (eg through their IP addresses)? Mischievous (and I am not for one moment suggesting revealing of individual's identities as we all value our personal anonymity) but it would be interesting to know how often there are the odd visitors from the BoE, Whitehall, Treasury, wider Govt, or for that matter, the BBC, Newspapers, Estate Agents, property organisations, media sector, financial sector etc etc.

I do not know the legal restrictions if any but it would be great to see any high profile IP sources..

If this is impossible I am sure I will be roundly bashed for being an IT ignoramus but its a nice thought for me!

It is possible but would be very time consuming to cover everyone.

Edited by consa

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Administration and Moderators must respect the confidentiality and privacy of all members at all times.

I doubt that "high profile" people would be keen to advertise their visits to any

web forum, including this one

Times jurno's certainly, I've seen arguments and themes appear in articles almost verbatim <_<

I'd be interested in a simple graph of new signups to the forum in a week by week format.

More HPCer's is at least a sign of more interest in the subject. Would it be inversely proportional to HPI?

How about it Webmasters?

Guest consa

I'd be interested in a simple graph of new signups to the forum in a week by week format.

More HPCer's is at least a sign of more interest in the subject. Would it be inversely proportional to HPI?

How about it Webmasters?

If it's any help, membership here has gone up approximately 200% in a year, so 200% more people think that house prices are going to crash than a year ago, this must be some sort of indication?

OK, I agree it is a sensitive issue and risks the danger of a witchhunt if, for example, it were revealed that the BoE computer connected to here from time to time.

Oh well. Probably for the best, who knows where it could end.

Times jurno's certainly, I've seen arguments and themes appear in articles almost verbatim <_<

Ditto!

I've seen articles headed and containing 'similar' themes/words within a week or two or being written on HPC in Sunday times!

Even happened with one of my own 'outbursts' - exactly the same article headline the following Sunday! :o

Many 'similar' articles echo HPC posts on Reuters now too!

Guest consa

Well it is easy to pick up good news articles here, makes their job easier, don't blame them really.

Hi HPCers,

The name's Os^m^ bin L^den...

I must say, I enjoy visiting this site very much. As you're all aware, since 911, the American infidels have lowered interest rates to unprecedented levels. Consequently, the world has enjoyed (or in HPCers case, not enjoyed) a global boom in property prices.

In it's wake, this website has been formed predicting that there will be a subsequent readjustment in house prices once the financial systems of Zionists have collasped. God willing...

Should this scenario materialise, I for one am very much looking forward to taking my friend, Kirstie's advice and shall be purchasing a home in Bradford where many of my friends and followers reside.

Thank you for listening...

Yours,

Os^m^.

P.S. I pray that the infidel George Dubya does not decide to bomb this site as a result of my visit.

I bet we get visits from the CIA now. :ph34r::lol::lol:

No one is anonymous to those who want, or need, to know and have the requisite technology.

But, at least for the moment, better to let the forums, across many subjects, reveal what people are thinking, unrestrained by such as pollsters or the artificiality of focus groups.

I bet we get visits from the CIA now. :ph34r::lol::lol:

Not the CIA. MI5 silly! Of course they do. Thats what a lot of spooks do. Monitor the benign to the ridiculous. I had a raring photo portfolio with ASIO back in my student day (123, Education should be free, seriously incendiary stuff... NOT) its was the guys sitting on the telegraph poles in black suits that did it for me :lol::lol:

Well I can't give you IP addresses that's for sure, but when the HPC video was first out I used to have a little look to see where the visitors to the video were from.

The counter I used was a free service and only holds the last 100 visitor paths, but i checked regularly and you may be pleased to know that visitors came from all over the world. Regular visits from the big Unis, Press, Tabloids and the BBC etc.

Just had a quick look now due to your post and after dusting off the cobwebs on the hit counter I can confirm that in the last hour the most high profile visitor was someone from The Chase Manhattan Bank, New York. They were probably checking their emails inbetween dusting the counters and mopping the floors! ;)

Showing where a particular member signed on from would be dodgy.

However, listing the frequency of visits from particular domains e.g. ons.gov.uk, rightmove.co.uk... is a perfectly legitimate analysis of website statistics. It's fairly straightforward so I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done (AFAIK you're not actually identifing anybody so privacy isn't an issue).

This whole thread seems like a great advert for using an IP proxy.

I'm currently in the Midlands, but this post came from a server in Washington D.C.

Whereabouts in the midlands? :lol:

I have great influence...I can buy dozens of books about housing crashes for my library.

;)

And presumably, to show your official impartiality, an equal number about booms.

Or would you be a lighthanded censor?

:)

And presumably, to show your official impartiality, an equal number about booms.

Or would you be a lighthanded censor?

:)

Listen, the amount of books I have bought written by Kirstie, Phil and their ilk because they are big sellers means I have a clear conscience. B)