House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Hotwiring By Landlords?

You have to be a bit stupid to reduce your bill down to zero and expect no-one to notice. Now the restaurant with 90% of the teeth on the cogwheel cut off, that was a better effort.

You have to be a bit stupid to reduce your bill down to zero and expect no-one to notice. Now the restaurant with 90% of the teeth on the cogwheel cut off, that was a better effort.

They probably would have escaped a visit if they had only cut off 50% of the teeth and more than that and they were chancing it, they were too greedy and got caught. The algorithms are apparently quite good (also help spot cannabis farms...)

They probably would have escaped a visit if they had only cut off 50% of the teeth and more than that and they were chancing it, they were too greedy and got caught. The algorithms are apparently quite good (also help spot cannabis farms...)

You beat me to it. I was going to suggest 20% of the teeth. I must be more cautious than you. :ph34r:

You beat me to it. I was going to suggest 20% of the teeth. I must be more cautious than you. :ph34r:

Their software apparently looks for anything bigger than a reduction in energy usage from efficiency measures could be hence 50% ish. 50% would mean relatively few false positives you also catch the biggest culprits.

You can drill a small hole in your meter and stop it going round with a toothpick! ;)

Back in the early 1980's, my then landlord had a black box which made the electricity meter run backwards, once he overdid it and shortly before a meter reading was due he had to borrow half a dozen fan heaters and run them 24/7 in the back garden to get the reading back up to where it was the last time.

I once had a leccy meter with a fault. Occasionally when ticking over to a new "hundred" the reading would get stuck. It also turned out a gentle, yet firm, thwack from a hammer, would restart it.

I did ring the electricity supplier, but they said that if the meter wasn't malfunctioning when the installer turned up, then they would charge me a £100 testing charge. I told them no thanks. But after that, my memory for where the hammer had gone went a bit scatty.

File off one tooth each time a new bill arrives so that the usage goes down by 10% each time and