House Price Crash Forum

Football 'can Tackle Male Obesity'

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25807140

Football participation is a good way to get men to slim down, a Scottish study published in The Lancet shows.

Some 374 overweight soccer fans were invited to take part in a 12-week programme of training sessions at their local football club.

A year later, the men had lost and kept off about 11lb (5kg) each compared with 374 overweight fans put on a waiting list for the programme.

The Glasgow researchers say it proves male-friendly weight loss plans work.

Shocking, who would have thought exercise equates to weight loss!

HOLA442
HOLA443

It does seem like stating the bleedin' obvious. Just the other day, while I watching my lad playing in his under 10s league, I was wondering why there don't seem to be such things as over 40s, 50s, 60s leagues etc. Maybe a gap in the market here?

HOLA444

It does seem like stating the bleedin' obvious. Just the other day, while I watching my lad playing in his under 10s league, I was wondering why there don't seem to be such things as over 40s, 50s, 60s leagues etc. Maybe a gap in the market here?

Injury is main thing. It really is a young mans game.

You can play it to a late age. However - it is just a sport where it is incredible easy to pick up a nasty injury. Lots of twisting and turning. Older people generally turn to swimming or cycling or running etc.

Activities where you move in the one direction are much less likely to lead to lots of injuries. Generally speaking of course.

HOLA445

Unfit over-40 runs around football field. Has heart attack and dies, or is left long-term disabled. Organiser gets sued for millions.

You'd never get the insurance to get it off the ground without at the very least expensive medical supervision. Who pays? Aha, that'll be the chaps who already pay gym membership.

HOLA446

Injury is main thing. It really is a young mans game.

You can play it to a late age. However - it is just a sport where it is incredible easy to pick up a nasty injury. Lots of twisting and turning. Older people generally turn to swimming or cycling or running etc.

Activities where you move in the one direction are much less likely to lead to lots of injuries. Generally speaking of course.

I play 5 aside with a bunch of friends all heading into our mid forties, and it's quite noticeable that people are picking up injuries more often and are out with them for longer.

I should add we've been playing weekly for nine years with essentially the same group.

HOLA447

I play 5 aside with a bunch of friends all heading into our mid forties, and it's quite noticeable that people are picking up injuries more often and are out with them for longer.

I should add we've been playing weekly for nine years with essentially the same group.

I've been playing with more or less the same bunch for twenty years. In fact I know most of the players on the local "scene" and it is noticeable how the age profile is going up with very few youngsters coming through. Getting much harder to find a regular ten now whereas maybe 5-10 years ago nobody wanted to give up their place for fear of going of not being able to get back in again.

HOLA448

I've been playing with more or less the same bunch for twenty years. In fact I know most of the players on the local "scene" and it is noticeable how the age profile is going up with very few youngsters coming through. Getting much harder to find a regular ten now whereas maybe 5-10 years ago nobody wanted to give up their place for fear of going of not being able to get back in again.

It's going to get worse. Every term i get a letter from my son's school (normal state primary) telling me how next term my son has the 'fantastic opportunity' to play football after school, and the cost is just £18 for the term.

Makes my blood boil.

1. Playing football after school is a British child's birthright, not a 'fantastic opportunity'

2. What happened to a male teacher doing football for an hour after school, how come it's now run by a local business who charge £18 for the 'privelege'?

Doesn't bode well for participation rates.

HOLA449

It's going to get worse. Every term i get a letter from my son's school (normal state primary) telling me how next term my son has the 'fantastic opportunity' to play football after school, and the cost is just £18 for the term.

Makes my blood boil.

1. Playing football after school is a British child's birthright, not a 'fantastic opportunity'

2. What happened to the a male teacher doing football for an hour after school, how come it's now run by a local business who charge £18 for the 'privelege'?

There are no male teachers at my sons' school. There hasn't been a single male teacher at the school in the four years my elder son has been there. I never saw a single male teacher at any of the other three schools we looked at either.

Sports day is a joke. A single 30m sprint and a team relay on the 30m course, where it is clear that the kids and teachers are well outside their comfort zone even doing that. It's actually rather embarrassing even to watch.

The people they have in to run the football and rugby are something of a blessing really.

HOLA4410

I played for years with same sort of people too. Gave it up at about 32. I do lots of other sports so just thought I was pushing my luck by continuing with the one most likely to cause me a serious injury.

Worked so far - fingers crossed.

HOLA4411

... for a privileged few ...

Not for the rural kid who can't make the 15-mile journey home unless he catches the one and only school bus.

Not for the inner-city kid whose school never had any remotely football-field-sized open space.

HOLA4412

... for a privileged few ...

Not for the rural kid who can't make the 15-mile journey home unless he catches the one and only school bus.

Not for the inner-city kid whose school never had any remotely football-field-sized open space.

A priveleged few? I think you've got that **** about tit. Your examples are the extremely unfortunate few. And you dont need a field or facilities to play football. Ask the Brazilians.

HOLA4413

A priveleged few? I think you've got that **** about tit. Your examples are the extremely unfortunate few. And you dont need a field or facilities to play football. Ask the Brazilians.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere between. I was one of those not-so-few, and when I lived with a teacher, her pupils were too.

As hotairmail says, there are alternatives to organised after-school events, subject to available space around where you live, and whether parents will let you out. For those who don't want to pay that £18.

HOLA4414

Makes my blood boil.

2. What happened to a male teacher doing football for an hour after school, how come it's now run by a local business who charge £18 for the 'privelege'?

Considering that :

1. The poor barstewards running the football thing probably have to jump through legal paedo hoops.

2. There probably aren't any teachers that know how to play football at the school and teachers running after-school activities seems to be a thing of the past.

I'd say you should swallow your indignation,18 quid a term is a bargain and you should jump at it.

It's not the world you grew up in, nor mine, but..........

HOLA4415

Considering that :

1. The poor barstewards running the football thing probably have to jump through legal paedo hoops.

2. There probably aren't any teachers that know how to play football at the school and teachers running after-school activities seems to be a thing of the past.

I'd say you should swallow your indignation,18 quid a term is a bargain and you should jump at it.

It's not that bad! A wide range of after-school activities are offered at my lad's (state) school, some run by teachers and some run by external agencies. A charge is usually made for these; they did try offering some activities for free last year, but unfortunately too many parents saw it as a free babysitting service and would send their offspring along whether they wanted to go or not!

HOLA4416

Considering that :

Point one i don't particularly care about, their job, their choice, they know what it entails.

I think what gets my back up more than anything is the wording of the letter, rather than price. Playing football after school is not a fantastic opportunity, any more than learning to read is a fantastic opportunity.

Learning to play football is what British kids do.

Anyways... after that rant my Son doesn't even play football :lol: - he does Gymnastics and Rugby outside of school, both of which we pay for. But that's not the point :ph34r:

HOLA4417

Are British schools now run by Mumsnet or something?

I now consider myself very lucky that my primary school had a number of highly intelligent, cultured, muscular-Christian type male teachers, some of them ex-military, who were able to teach poetry, RE, maths, basic science etc as well as football and cricket. The fact that there are mixed schools with no male teachers is quite frankly shocking. Imagine if it was the other way round - there would be a national outcry.

(perhaps not from the dads though ;)

HOLA4418

The fat ones never get picked.

I did.

Being the least fattest of the fat kids, and tall for my age got me the goalkeeper's jersey regularly.

And I was always picked pretty quickly for rugby or murder-ball.

Unfortunately as we hit the fifth-year at school, it would lead to the odd boxing match in the gym and I usually just got battered senseless. :)

The PE teacher was a true professional and always ensured fair play, safety and that there were no bad feelings or grudges held afterwards. Following a bout, he insisted both parties shake hands, and was always the first to offer the the pair of them a few off his cigarette to calm their nerves.

I'm strong and healthy at 48 years old. Those days running around as a teenager are a big reason for that, and along with lots of basic fresh food during my formative years, are why I believe I remained 'chubby' rather than obese in adult life.

It saddens me that today's adolescent 'chubbies' will probably be excused PE on 'Health And Safety' grounds, and will eat mountains of processed sugar-filled shite on the way to their diabetes, and a lifetime of disease, despair and depression.

Very sad.

:(

XYY

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Male issue..lets solve it with football. Or put an actor in a football top so it seems more accessible to the men of Britain. Purely my own opinion of course!

I always thought you would prefer Rugby.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

:) there's probably an unwritten law somewhere in Cardiff that forbids me from saying anything but yes to that!

Just an inspired guess. :blink:

Archived