House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Strip Benefits From Claimants Lacking Skills - Labour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25803006

Unemployed people who lack basic English, maths and computing skills should be stripped of benefits unless they take up training, Labour says.

Under the plans, all new claimants of Jobseeker's Allowance would have to sit a basic skills test within six weeks.

Shadow work and pensions secretary Rachel Reeves also said people who have worked and then lose their jobs could get higher initial rates of JSA.

But the Conservatives accused her of copying their policies on skills.

In a speech to the IPPR think tank in London, Ms Reeves said: "We all know that basic skills are essential in today's jobs market, but the shocking levels of English and maths among too many jobseekers are holding them back from getting work.

"This traps too many jobseekers in a vicious cycle between low paid work and benefits.

"Government plans in this area just aren't enough. They're now asking jobseekers who exit the failed Work Programme to take up literacy and numeracy training, three whole years after those people first make a claim for benefits.

"A Labour government will introduce a basic skills test to assess all new claimants for Jobseeker's Allowance within six weeks of claiming benefits

So Labour looking at creating a new industry testing jobseekers basic skills.

You can tell an election is coming up as everyone is trying to be more right wing.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/20/labour-topup-jobseekers-allowance-unemployed-welfare

A £20 weekly top-up could be added to jobseeker's allowance for unemployed people who have paid national insurance contributions for five years – as part of Labour's drive to restore the contributory principle, shadow work and pensions secretary Rachel Reeves has said.

In a sign of Labour's determination to challenge Tory attempts to label it the welfare party, Reeves issued an "unequivocal" declaration that Labour would place the contributory principle at the heart of its social security reforms.

As a first step, Reeves said a higher rate of jobseeker's allowance (JSA) could be paid for the first six weeks of unemployment for people who have paid national insurance contributions (NICs) for about five years.

The extra amount could be set at about £20 a week, under proposals being examined by the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), to ensure the change would not lead to an overall increase in the benefits bill. It would be modelled on statutory maternity pay.

And a top up for those with 5 years contribution. Will they be tested for having the necessary skills?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25803006

You can tell an election is coming up as everyone is trying to be more right wing.

What I don't understand is why job seekers lacking basic skills have not been automatically offered help with these anyway. Or required to attend classes if their lack of skills is going to prevent them from getting a job.

When I was working at the library it was not uncommon to have someone in who wanted to apply for a job, but had hardly any idea of using a computer - and they had to apply online. This would apply to even a pretty lowly job in a supermarket. More than once when we were not too busy I sat with someone for ages helping them to fill in the form, helping them to set up an email address. One bloke did not even understand that you needed an email address in order to be able to send or receive emails.

Why on earth this sort of help was not automatically available at the job centre I will never understand. We could only help when we weren't busy - it could easily take well over an hour to help someone with this sort of thing.

Reeves is following in her predecessors (LIam *there's no money left* Byrne) footsteps in trying to pander to a prejudiced public who are ignorant of the facts of the welfare state... by invoking a silly notion of a distinction between the deserving and undeserving poor.... I trust none of you were daft enough to ever think divide and rule was exclusively a tory strategy [otherwise you'll be reaching for the tissues to wipe that egg from your face round about now... ] :rolleyes:

I think a higher unemployment benefit was paid to those who had earned more/paid more NI contributions used to be the norm back in the day.

the thing about JSA today is that it is on a par or less than other benefits that can be claimed (IS, ESA etc) when the circs leading to its use (i.e. losing your job on which you may have paid years of NI ) are not comparable. Also most JSA claimants who have paid many years NI when working are more likely to work again - so are not a huge part of the welfare budget.

What I don't understand is why job seekers lacking basic skills have not been automatically offered help with these anyway. Or required to attend classes if their lack of skills is going to prevent them from getting a job.

I don't understand why we let them leave primary school without the basic skills.

£20 for 6 weeks. Oooooh. How about £20 plus exemption from the 16k savings limit for say, 6 months? That would be meaningful.

Also, will this just be for those who actually paid contributions, or also for those such as mothers and carers who are deemed to have made NIC's?

This IS already offered to claimants.. it appears Reeves wants to to introduce a compulsion element with sanctions for those who refuse as part of Labour's welfare electoral strategy to out-tory the tories/pander to ukip..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/264815/BIS-13-1298_Further-_Education-for_Benefit-Claimants_-12_December-2013.pdf

Unemployed people who lack basic English, maths and computing skills should be stripped of benefits unless they take up training,

So that's no benefits for bankers, estate agents and a lot of MPs .. :lol:

Edited by awaytogo

I don't understand why we let them leave primary school without the basic skills.

Out of 100 people there will be at least 1 or 2 people who will struggle with basic skills and lack the ability to learn.

When there are 3m people seeking work these people will always struggle to get a job.

The question is what we do with them. I don't think constant punishment is the way forwards.

I think a higher unemployment benefit was paid to those who had earned more/paid more NI contributions used to be the norm back in the day.

the thing about JSA today is that it is on a par or less than other benefits that can be claimed (IS, ESA etc) when the circs leading to its use (i.e. losing your job on which you may have paid years of NI ) are not comparable. Also most JSA claimants who have paid many years NI when working are more likely to work again - so are not a huge part of the welfare budget.

ERS as it was.

The abolition in 1982 of the Earnings-Related Supplement (ERS) to unemployment benefit, which had been introduced in 1966, left the UK with no element of income support for the unemployed linked to previous earnings.

When I was working at the library it was not uncommon to have someone in who wanted to apply for a job, but had hardly any idea of using a computer - and they had to apply online. This would apply to even a pretty lowly job in a supermarket. More than once when we were not too busy I sat with someone for ages helping them to fill in the form, helping them to set up an email address. One bloke did not even understand that you needed an email address in order to be able to send or receive emails.

Why on earth this sort of help was not automatically available at the job centre I will never understand. We could only help when we weren't busy - it could easily take well over an hour to help someone with this sort of thing.

It is available...its just that our brilliant schools are still churning out people who cant do it...inspite of all the Iphones/pads, computer suites et al.

colour me skeptical but its probably an excuse for labour to send them on a reprogramming course to provide more jobs for 'educators'

Nor do I, but every time it is suggested that kids should repeat a year if they are struggling it is shouted down. It believe they do it in Germany - sitzenbleiben - sit and stay - and I think in the US kids are placed in classes by achievement level rather than age, though I know their public education is no great shakes, either.

It makes absolutely no sense for kids who lack basics to go on to secondary education, where they are bound to struggle.

colour me skeptical but its probably an excuse for labour to send them on a reprogramming course to provide more jobs for 'educators'

And we know where that leads ...

tom-sharpe-wilt.jpg

Out of 100 people there will be at least 1 or 2 people who will struggle with basic skills and lack the ability to learn.

When there are 3m people seeking work these people will always struggle to get a job.

The question is what we do with them. I don't think constant punishment is the way forwards.

+1

"The beatings will continue until you become attractive to potential employers."

Still, who cares about what will actually help people to overcome barriers to employment? There's an election coming and focus groups of swing voters say they want to see the boot stuck in.

Edited by Dorkins

£20 for 6 weeks. Oooooh. How about £20 plus exemption from the 16k savings limit for say, 6 months? That would be meaningful.

Also, will this just be for those who actually paid contributions, or also for those such as mothers and carers who are deemed to have made NIC's?

Is that not the case anyway? I thought you got 6 months of contribution based benefits (regardless of your financial circumstances), then moved on to standard JSA. It certainly used to be the case (mid - late 2000's).

Is that not the case anyway? I thought you got 6 months of contribution based benefits (regardless of your financial circumstances), then moved on to standard JSA. It certainly used to be the case (mid - late 2000's).

Nope. The six months is only the headline rate JSA. The real money (e.g. housing benefit) is means-tested, and some of the package (e.g. free dentist and optician) is only available after six months even if you pass the means-testing.

Unless things have changed since I was last between jobs, a little under 3 years ago.

Aye, if you have paid enough NI.

That's contribution based JSA. No point in claiming that if you can claim income based JSA.

Nope. The six months is only the headline rate JSA. The real money (e.g. housing benefit) is means-tested, and some of the package (e.g. free dentist and optician) is only available after six months even if you pass the means-testing.

Unless things have changed since I was last between jobs, a little under 3 years ago.

If you are entitled to income based (means tested) JSA, claim it from the off, as it passports you to the other benefits.

Claiming contribution based JSA whilst you are entitled to income based is going to cause you lots of headaches.

Contribution based JSA is only worth claiming if you can't qualify for means tested income based JSA. It would make sense to increase Contribution based JSA by some 110% to put it on a par with the minimum income guarantee for pensioners.. It can only be claimed for 6 months after all.

Still, who cares about what will actually help people to overcome barriers to employment? There's an election coming and focus groups of swing voters say they want to see the boot stuck in.

+1 Helping people into work was never something the benefits system ever took seriously- I knew of one disabled guy who was turned down for training because his illness would 'disrupt the other trainees' :lol: You can not make this stuff up.

Reeves makes IDS look like a welfare reform expert.

JSA is the one benefit that doesn't need reform.Yet here she is making out its a great step forward.

Where is her talk of reform to tax credits,DLA,HB,Council tax benefit?.

£20 extra for a few weeks will no doubt mean Labour will reduce the means tested period to the 6 weeks from 6 months so instead of helping those who have paid NI she will shaft them big style unless they find work in 6 weeks.Means tested after 6 weeks instead of 6 months.

For genuine claims this reform will be a disaster.

Until Labour (or this government) deal with tax credits anything else means nothing.

One day someone with half a brain will stop bullying people on the minimum and tackle the real problems in welfare.JSA is the last place any DWP minister should be looking to reform.Just goes to show Reeves and Labour have no intention of cutting tax credits or the welfare bill.Just a plan to sanction someone on £71.00 a week because they cant read.

+1 Helping people into work was never something the benefits system ever took seriously- I knew of one disabled guy who was turned down for training because his illness would 'disrupt the other trainees' :lol: You can not make this stuff up.

Isnt the system now that you can't claim benefits while undertaking training because you are technically unable to look for work because of the time taken up by the training? Seems daft to me.