House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Queen Preparing To Abdicate In 2014?

With a reign of 63 years, seven months and two days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Victoria

The Queen will abdicate once she has beaten this.

That puts it at 2015.

Interesting point. Thank you.

Charles must be as frustrated at his mother's longevity as Edward VII, who once said that he kept hearing in Church on Sundays about the Eternal Father, but he had to put up with the Eternal Mother. :lol:

Yep I bet he's royally annoyed, however she's clearly going to retire and the finish line is in sight to be the longest ever reigning monarch.

Then Charles will get a go.

Republic in about 3 years it is, then..

We had a pope resign not so long ago.

Yes, things have changed. Hereditary positions are a problem given that current medical technology can keep people alive but incapable for quite a long time.

Yes, things have changed. Hereditary positions are a problem given that current medical technology can keep people alive but incapable for quite a long time.

Having a monarch who's a jibbering wreck in the modern era simply isn't going to work as everyone will be asking why they don't "retire". To be honest being in a role until dead seems very antiquated and why shouldn't she be able to retire and pass the role on?

.....she is an old lady and has dedicated her life to the job in an exceptionally well way, let her wind down gracefully and get some well earned rest....she will always be the queen. ;)

Yep I bet he's royally annoyed, however she's clearly going to retire and the finish line is in sight to be the longest ever reigning monarch.

Then Charles will get a go.

I assume that means a day off?

That's just vanity though. Surely it would be better to go now and leave the record with a much more remarkable individual?

Why was Victoria a more remarkable individual?

please please please can we get a republic. Or a AT LEAST queen/king that gives up all the land, and sticks it to the corrupt MPs and Lords?

Fat chance.

Queen Beatrix, age 75, of the Netherlands abdicated last year and it all went very smoothly.

The British Queen, and her eldest son must have seen that it worked fine, and could do the same.

Edward VIII

He wasn't forced out at the point of a gun. What do you think might have happened if he had stood up to Baldwin? Car crash in a French tunnel? :ph34r:

Having a monarch who's a jibbering wreck in the modern era simply isn't going to work as everyone will be asking why they don't "retire". To be honest being in a role until dead seems very antiquated and why shouldn't she be able to retire and pass the role on?

It'll work far better in the modern era than when the entire country was run on the whims of the monarch.

It'll work far better in the modern era than when the entire country was run on the whims of the monarch.

While the brief and now historical period of reasonably effective democracy enjoyed in the UK was good, say from 1945 to about 1994, I'm not so sure that the whims of royalty wasn't better than what we're moving towards now, at least the occasional monarch might be benevolent, but the chances of a benevolent banker are zero......

please please please can we get a republic. Or a AT LEAST queen/king that gives up all the land, and sticks it to the corrupt MPs and Lords?

Fat chance.

May we have, not can we get. :rolleyes:

Technically the sovereign gave up all the land during the reign of George III in the eighteenth century, when the Civil List was instituted in place of revenue from crown estates. Crown land is essentially government land now. The only thing our present Queen could give up would be her personal fortune, which would not have any political effect.

I think long term a republic (in reality a vassal state of Europe) is coming anyway, especially if Scotland becomes independent. Once our present Queen dies, Australia will push for a republic and probably get it, leading to a domino effect in other Commonwealth countries as Tony Blair-type leaders struggle for presidential power.

While the brief and now historical period of reasonably effective democracy enjoyed in the UK was good, say from 1945 to about 1994, I'm not so sure that the whims of royalty wasn't better than what we're moving towards now, at least the occasional monarch might be benevolent, but the chances of a benevolent banker are zero......

You've got a point.

.....she is an old lady and has dedicated her life to the job in an exceptionally well way, let her wind down gracefully and get some well earned rest....she will always be the queen. ;)

Yes, been Queen for longer than I have been anything! Still waiting to be Sir Pin though, maybe one day?

But the next in line is a jibbering wreck.

However when the Queen goes I think we should call time on the whole 'Windsor' shananigans and the rentier Court.

Declare a republic. I'm looking forward to President Brown