House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spord

Amsterdam

I work in an industry which has very few jobs available, especially at my level. When they do come up there is intense competition for them.

One such job has come up in Amsterdam, and I'm applying for it. However, I don't really know much yet about the cost of living there, and what sort of salary level I should aim for compared with my UK salary to achieve the same or better lifestyle. The tax system seems rather more complex than the UK system, and there's also a 30% ruling for skilled immigrants.

Anyone got any tips or experience?

I work in an industry which has very few jobs available, especially at my level. When they do come up there is intense competition for them.

One such job has come up in Amsterdam, and I'm applying for it. However, I don't really know much yet about the cost of living there, and what sort of salary level I should aim for compared with my UK salary to achieve the same or better lifestyle. The tax system seems rather more complex than the UK system, and there's also a 30% ruling for skilled immigrants.

Only of living there. I didn't deal with the Dutch tax system.

It's a great city to live in IMO, but then, it was 14 years back. Rains all the time and the only good food is Indonesian, but other than that it's a brilliant place.

Lovely girls, friendly people, good transport, cheap huas and marijuana if that's your thing, great bars, many of the locals like the English, which isn't something you can say everywhere!

I have experience of living in north of Holland and the The Hague. (But not Amsterdam.)

I would 2nd that people are v friendly (almost all speak English) and we were on that 30% expat tax deal. (Think there's a limit re how many yrs u can use that tho. Is it ~7 yrs?)

FYI, house prices have been falling steadily for a few hrs in NL which should be in your favour, although we found many more flats/houses for sale than for rent.

In the end, we got a choice of 3 really lovely (brand new) flats with extra storage in basement, (in same luxury block), cos developer couldn't sell them all. (It was a really great flat we had. Quality build, large windows, nice views, and almost no need to pay for any heating ... as never got cold .... like a sort of like a Passive house?)

Cost of living in NL a bit higher than UK I reckon, (eg food), but biking around is great, (Buy a bike there. Can get 2nd hand. They are better than UK bikes th not cheap.) Public transport quite good.

Easy to travel/get back home to UK (or wherever) as Schipol is a v busy but excellent airport. (So lots of flights. Also ferries eg from Hook.)

So, think u have nothing to lose as long as the salary is OK as heathcare was also fine. (We were in the local system.)

It's just the weather which was a bit negative for me ... ie cold and grey outside of "summer" months. And was proper cold in the 2 winters we were there ... frozen canals etc!

Visit the north (from Amsterdam) if u like cycling and if you like birds. Apparently lots of islands worth visiting also. (Tho we didn't.) Beaches are OK in summer eg Scheveningen.

Mumsnet has an overseas living section ... so might be worth you having a look in there for more info re housing, schools or whatever you need to know.

Good luck. (Overseas work experience is generally a good thing.)