House Price Crash Forum
long time lurking

Rightmove Sold Near By /land Registry Prices

As per title are the sold near by prices that rightmove use from the land registry ? and dose MEW get recorded as a sale?

Reason for the above ,i was looking at a house on right move in the street where my sister lives, in the houses sold near by, two jump out at me as one belongs to someone i know and know they have lived there for over ten years but right move has a sold date of 2010 also the house that i was looking at was there as sold 2008 ,my sister reckons the same person (recently deceased) has owned the place for over ten years,

Edited by long time lurking

As per title are the sold near by prices that rightmove use from the land registry ? and dose MEW get recorded as a sale?

Reason for the above ,i was looking at a house on right move in the street where my sister lives, in the houses sold near by, two jump out at me as one belongs to someone i know and know they have lived there for over ten years but right move has a sold date of 2010 also the house that i was looking at was there as sold 2008 ,my sister reckons the same person (recently deceased) has owned the place for over ten years,

I would have thought MEW would be registered as a charge on the property on the Land Registry record, not as a sale.

MEW doesn't show up as a sale but the remortgage will show up on the land reg with the registration of the new charge.

The sales you're mentioning sound like possible transfers under value which could be done for a variety of reasons by an owner.

The sales you're mentioning sound like possible transfers under value which could be done for a variety of reasons by an owner.

The one with the recently deceased, they could have "gifted' the property to someone in the hope they live long ebough to not pay inheritence tax

MEW doesn't show up as a sale but the remortgage will show up on the land reg with the registration of the new charge.

Back of the class question now ,I take it that means transfer of title / name, say husband to wife ?

Way below the inheritence tax threshold

But you would still have to pay tax on a gift unless you live 7 more years, or rather I suppose the giftee has to pay it. Different from inheritance tax as such.

One I noticed was a previous sold price on rightmove of 68K around peak, when other properties on the street sold for around 200-210K. it's on now at offer over 277K so the math suggests MEW. If i decide to look up the title etc I'll post the details.

What if they have others houses and/or a pile of cash etc.?

Possible but I very much doubt it as the persons was very good friends with my sister ,and still there is the mystery of the other house mentioned in the OP which is even stranger as it has a sold value double the price any other house sold for at that time in that street ,with all the other being almost identical in size modest 3 bed terrace and has not be sold for over a decade as i know the owner

One I noticed was a previous sold price on rightmove of 68K around peak, when other properties on the street sold for around 200-210K. it's on now at offer over 277K so the math suggests MEW. If i decide to look up the title etc I'll post the details.

Yes MEW would be the obvious answer but surely that should not be recorded as a sale with the land registry (assuming that is where rightmove acquired this data) as this would make their transaction /average house price data worhtless

Rightmove says:

Looking for a home in your dream location but not quite sure you can believe the prices? Maybe you are just curious about how much the house next door really sold for?

Rightmove can help! We bring the latest Sold House Price Information to your computer, straight from the Land Registry and the Registers Of Scotland.

Simply enter the postcode of the area you are interested in above, and we will give you the low down on average and individual sold prices since May 2000.

The Land Registry's site says:

When land or property is registered for the first time, we prepare a title register, this gives an up-to-date record of who legally owns the land or property and other details relating to it. Every title register is given a title number.

The title register is made up of three parts:

The A (property) register gives the:

property description

any rights that it may have the benefit of

if the it is leasehold it will give details of the lease.

The B (proprietorship) register gives:

the current registered owner

the price paid for the property, if sold since 1 April 2000

any restriction which limits the powers of the registered owner to deal with or dispose of the land/property.

For example a lender may put a restriction in the register to stop the owner taking out another loan without the consent of the first lender.

The C (charges) register gives details of:

mortgages

other rights or interests to which the land or property is subject

information about documents, if any, that we hold on file.

So I presume that Rightmove takes its sold prices data from the Land Registry's B register. Any charges resulting from MEW would surely be on its C register.

Incidentally, the Land Registry site also says (my bold):

The price paid data excludes:

property transactions that have not been lodged at Land Registry

all property transactions which involve:

a corporate body

company

business

any residential property sales that may not have been for full market value, for example:

sale of part of the property or a share of a property

sale of a property at a discount, including right to buy properties

sale of repossessed properties

sale subject to an existing mortgage

transfers following divorce or by way of gift or exchange

transfers under Compulsory Purchase Order or by Court Order

transfer of more than one property as part of a portfolio

leases for 7 years or less.

Would properties sold at an undervalue appear in the Land Registry's publicly available price data, and therefore on Rightmove?

Rightmove says:

The Land Registry's site says:

So I presume that Rightmove takes its sold prices data from the Land Registry's B register. Any charges resulting from MEW would surely be on its C register.

Incidentally, the Land Registry site also says (my bold):

Would properties sold at an undervalue appear in the Land Registry's publicly available price data, and therefore on Rightmove?

It`s not a question of being sold cheap it`s the fact that they were not sold on the dates rightmove stated so the only conclusions i can come to is mew was registered as a sale ( price originally paid + the amount MEW=price on rightmove? ) or the data is wrong

It`s not a question of being sold cheap it`s the fact that they were not sold on the dates rightmove stated so the only conclusions i can come to is mew was registered as a sale ( price originally paid + the amount MEW=price on rightmove? ) or the data is wrong

You could always splurge £14 on official copies of the title register for the two properties. They will tell you who owns the property and the price last paid, if they have been sold at market value.

You could always splurge £14 on official copies of the title register for the two properties. They will tell you who owns the property and the price last paid, if they have been sold at market value.

That is an option but i`m as certain as one could be that the deceased daughter and the guy i know are the owners of the two houses, i just find it strange that there could possibly be two mistakes on the same street ,how common could this be ? it just seems to make the land registry data worthless ,the cynical side of me would say manipulated