House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Firefox - Turn Off "new Private Window"

Does anybody know how to do this?

I find it irritating as it's a feature that I don't want but it is very easy to accidentally click it (rather than New Window) from a context menu. Then I don't realise I'm in it until I go to a site and I find myself a guest as my log-in has been lost.

I'm not too hopeful that you can but you never know.

Does anybody know how to do this?

I find it irritating as it's a feature that I don't want but it is very easy to accidentally click it (rather than New Window) from a context menu. Then I don't realise I'm in it until I go to a site and I find myself a guest as my log-in has been lost.

I'm not too hopeful that you can but you never know.

why not use the "+" to open a new window? ( next to the last open tab)

why not use the "+" to open a new window? ( next to the last open tab)

Thanks but I know that one, I mainly use the feature to open a URL straight from a link into a new window.

Thanks but I know that one, I mainly use the feature to open a URL straight from a link into a new window.

<Ctrl+N>

Maybe he is doing something with his left hand whilst he is browsing that he doesn't want to press ctrl and then click.

Like note taking?

<Ctrl+N>

Maybe he is doing something with his left hand whilst he is browsing that he doesn't want to press ctrl and then click.

Very good.

You right click a link (say a topic on here) and the context menu comes open with the follwing options:

New Tab (don't want)

New Window (want)

New Private Window (want to turn off this option)

I'm thinking that turning it off can't be done.

Thnak you Bloo Loo, so it was worth asking the question :)

Whilst one can usually find a way to help someone by changing their behaviour, the strength and sometimes weakness of Windows is that there are usually 10 ways to do effectively the same thing.

Whilst one can usually find a way to help someone by changing their behaviour, the strength and sometimes weakness of Windows is that there are usually 10 ways to do effectively the same thing.

This has nothing to do with windows - the behaviour of firefox is exactly the same on Mac and Linux.

If you want something less configurable then you are talking about tablets iOS etc

This has nothing to do with windows - the behaviour of firefox is exactly the same on Mac and Linux.

If you want something less configurable then you are talking about tablets iOS etc

It wasnt a criticism...my point was that it makes it harder to diagnose a users issue if the way you do it doesnt produce the result they are seeing.

Firefox is going somewhat downhill, with changes that just don't seem to have any good reason for existing - downloads now stuck in another full-sized window, defaults to a single tab regardless of whether you actually use tabs, no "don't load images" option any more. Lots of minor things that add up to a bit of an irritation. Would ditch it but I've not heard anything to suggest that IE still isn't a jokey mess and I'm too suspicious of Google to want to have anything to do with Chrome.