House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver2

New Car - Good Idea?

I bought a new car two years ago and it was plagued with problems (already posted a thread here before).

Anyway the px is really generous and I can drive away a brand new Honda CR-V 1.6 S d-tec for only £225 a month with 0% PCP. Car seems perfect for me and my needs (family man/paraglider(and may occasionally sleep in the back which I tried when they weren't looking)).

Have I missed anything? Can you talk me out of the deal?

Thanks guys.

I just ask the dealer if i can try sleeping in it.

1.6 sounds quite underpowered though,especially for family duties?

Sounds good. You're getting rid of that lemon, I certainly like the CRV.

Possibly something in snafu's point; I know engine technology has come on a pace and a 1.6 now is better than a 2.0 twenty years ago but the CRV is a big car. I find it much more tiring driving in an underpowered car as you have to keep planning manouevres. Worth chekcing on a few steep hills to see if you need to change down to stop it slowing, and also check midrange for over-taking.

If it`s the diesel engine its good for 118 hp and oodles of torque more than enough for the size of vehicle

Sounds good. You're getting rid of that lemon, I certainly like the CRV.

Possibly something in snafu's point; I know engine technology has come on a pace and a 1.6 now is better than a 2.0 twenty years ago but the CRV is a big car. I find it much more tiring driving in an underpowered car as you have to keep planning manouevres. Worth chekcing on a few steep hills to see if you need to change down to stop it slowing, and also check midrange for over-taking.

Thanks for being frank Frank! It has 300nm/rpm of torque and Honda's CR-V Diesel Web page has a nice table pitting it against their rivals and coming out top. I know it's in the presentation and the reviews do say the torque is there only when revved hard. That I can live with.

Principally, this car is for the school run, popping to the shops and 85-100mile sprints to the hills with a final shunt (i'm used to changing gears in the final miles) setting off early and getting places in good time and hopefully with excellent fuel economy (my lifetime average for the clio is ~38.1mpg over 17,000 miles never driven hard, if I can get >45.4mpg in this one even better for me).

My Dads got a 2.0 diesel CRV, he gets about 38mpg but rarely speeds. When I had it for a week I was getting around 30-32mpg as I cruise around 80mph on the motorway. Due to the wind resistance of such a big car, I would question whether you would truly get 45mpg even though it is a smaller engine.

How much power do people actually need for utilitarian trips on UK's congested and speed limited roads? For the past several years I've used a 1.2 petrol engined Fiat Panda and it's been absolutely fine for just about anything - including driving all over the UK. Sure I have to think ahead a bit[1] for overtaking on big hills with a full car but, so what?

[1] or think twice!

How much power do people actually need for utilitarian trips on UK's congested and speed limited roads? For the past several years I've used a 1.2 petrol engined Fiat Panda and it's been absolutely fine for just about anything - including driving all over the UK. Sure I have to think ahead a bit[1] for overtaking on big hills with a full car but, so what?

[1] or think twice!

You can of course live with a smaller engine. I had 1.3 non turbo petrols for a long time but the crv is a big car.

I assume you are giving your old car as deposit and then there will be a balloon payment option at the end of the PCP..

How do the economics of the deal on offer stack up against a personal lease?

for instance this 3 year, 30k mile lease is

£1,762.32 initial payment and then 35 x £287.72 then walk away after 3 years (£10,933.36 total payable over the 3 year period)

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-leasing-companies/independent-brokers/flexible-vehicle-contracts-ltd/honda/cr-v/24613907/

worth a quick check of personal lease offers?

I assume you are giving your old car as deposit and then there will be a balloon payment option at the end of the PCP..

£1,762.32 initial payment and then 35 x £287.72 then walk away after 3 years (£10,933.36 total payable over the 3 year period)

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-leasing-companies/independent-brokers/flexible-vehicle-contracts-ltd/honda/cr-v/24613907/

That's a good find and something for me to consider. I'm not averse to leasing and got myself a cracking deal on a merc slk250 cdi amg sport at 3+35 @ £307 last year shame I wrote it off after 4days and 200miles (did get 54mpg though :D ).

This time however I think I'd just like to pay the £9k something balloon and run it for another five years or maybe longer.

Buckers. I had a look at the A1 as an option (you can see a random theme regarding choices here) this had the 1.4 tfsi engine. Offer looked good on paper but this is better.

for only £225 a month with 0% PCP...

The guys who sell car finance are world class when it comes to separating you from your cash.

The monthly payment is completely irrelevant, the only number you should be interested in is "how much will it cost altogether?"

thats the total price including all the extras and the delivery and interest and final payments etc

"how much will it cost altogether?"

you may have to ask this 2 or 3 times before they give you an answer.

I'm not saying its a bad deal, but you are looking at the wrong number.

The guys who sell car finance are world class when it comes to separating you from your cash.

The monthly payment is completely irrelevant, the only number you should be interested in is "how much will it cost altogether?"

thats the total price including all the extras and the delivery and interest and final payments etc

"how much will it cost altogether?"

you may have to ask this 2 or 3 times before they give you an answer.

I'm not saying its a bad deal, but you are looking at the wrong number.

I'm wise after the event... Renault sold me a turd telling me the APR was 4.9% (I remember them saying as that's what I was listening for) where the actual rate was close to 10% (they were quoting the flat rate).

This really is 0% (same as my crf250l) and whichever way they cut the figures you can not miss represent 0%, no fees nothing more to pay.

New cars cost money and they need to be sold to keep the wheels of the economy in motion. It's British made and some good will come of that. Yes it's £225 per month but I'm treating this as a service and not a cost, the freedom it offers me coupled with the 5 year warranty/service package is worth some of that £225 and I'll be honest... I'm a little bit excited too. :)

Don't get emotional about it.

As has been said, work out exactly how much the thing will cost, paying particular attention to how much you're being given in part exchange. It would be rare for that figure to be close to what you might achieve from a private sale unless the garage is making a really big chunk from the car they're selling you.

Remember, the best deal for you is the worst deal for them.

I'm treating this as a service and not a cost...

Make no mistake when you buy a car you are buying it, no matter what the voodoo financial arrangement is, somewhere buried in the small print you will be committed to buying it and paying some specific price.

The price you pay will be determined by the finance deal you are being offered, so it is entirely likely that a car deal rated at 0% will cost more than one at 10%

£225 a month

That'd make my eyes water

I reckon mine will cost £33 a month over its life with me

Ok, it was 3 yr old at purchase and I'll keep it 10 years, and I expect the residual value to be ~ £500 at the end

runnig costs, £20 road tax, 60 mpg (diesel), £200 a year servicing, 10,000 miles a year

http://www.contracth.../cr-v/24613907/

lings rentals deals look a little cheaper

http://www.lingscars.com/Honda/CR-V-leasing/cheap-contract-hire.html#models

AteMoose that's over 47 months.

LiveInHope.. £225 is a lot of money, I really am trying to find a car that just runs and runs however unlucky I have been in the past. If this could get me through 13 years of motoring then the £23k it's costing me is ~£147 a month by my calculations I will save £35 a month in fuel efficiency and road tax plus I get the mothers SUV subsidy (aka child benefit) of £134.80 for another twelve years. So really it's only costing me £50 a month not far off your figures. :)

£225 a month

That'd make my eyes water

I reckon mine will cost £33 a month over its life with me

Ok, it was 3 yr old at purchase and I'll keep it 10 years, and I expect the residual value to be ~ £500 at the end

runnig costs, £20 road tax, 60 mpg (diesel), £200 a year servicing, 10,000 miles a year

I am interested in what you bought and for how much?

I bought a three year old mondeo for £5600 plan was to keep it 9 years had it 8 year so far £60 a month was as much as I was prepared to waste on a car. Just did the calculation and I'm already under my £2 a day limit but the car is too good to scrap and I have just put another MOT on it will probably keep it till the clutch goes or some over major expense.

[1] or think twice!

+1

Infact a 1.3 litre Toyota Yaris does fine in and around Perth 99% of the time. Trying to persaude the other half that we can always hire an SUV for the occasional weekend road trip.

I am interested in what you bought and for how much?

I bought a three year old mondeo for £5600 plan was to keep it 9 years had it 8 year so far £60 a month was as much as I was prepared to waste on a car. Just did the calculation and I'm already under my £2 a day limit but the car is too good to scrap and I have just put another MOT on it will probably keep it till the clutch goes or some over major expense.

You want to be careful quoting that £60 a month, there are some on here that will accuse you of wasteful extravagance!

I go £1k a year as a rule of thumb which works out at £83 a month.

You want to be careful quoting that £60 a month, there are some on here that will accuse you of wasteful extravagance!

Frank is an accountant!

I don't want to waste my hard earned leasing a car with a final balloon payment, just to get a new number plate. Current car about £2.5k four years ago! Still going fine.

I think Harry wins the depreciation minimization contest, circa £12/ month or so iirc on his last Rover.

My missus's car is nearing 6 years ownership equating to about £22/month to date.

My old car was owned for 4 years and cost almost exactly £30/month in depreciation.

Hope you have better luck with whatever car you choose this time OP, last one sounded like a pain.

I think Harry wins the depreciation minimization contest, circa £12/ month or so iirc on his last Rover.

My missus's car is nearing 6 years ownership equating to about £22/month to date.

My old car was owned for 4 years and cost almost exactly £30/month in depreciation.

Hope you have better luck with whatever car you choose this time OP, last one sounded like a pain.

thank you, it's this one the CR-V and I'm going ahead with the deal although I've managed to source the car from another dealer for £800 less bringing my monthly payment down to £202. So it'a not frugal HPCrasher cheap run around going by what some have mentioned here (I am listening) but it suits my needs.

thank you, it's this one the CR-V and I'm going ahead with the deal although I've managed to source the car from another dealer for £800 less bringing my monthly payment down to £202. So it'a not frugal HPCrasher cheap run around going by what some have mentioned here (I am listening) but it suits my needs.

Quick update...

The Honda dealership were unwilling to process my application as I am gainfully unemployed. This wasn't the system failing me as there is an option for independent means. Instead they put me in the direction of their used car selection and partner finance company so what did I do...

I left and bought the outgoing Mercedes Benz C250CDi (one under the top spec/had to pay more not to have the panoramic roof) at substantial discount securing a £15k loan elsewhere at 4.8% APR balance will be the sale of my *Clio plus savings.

* I have just popped into my Renault dealership for a print out of last years service and saw one of these Dacia Estates which looks very nice indeed and cost less than my down payment (ooops).

Even if I keep this for only two years the depreciation will not be much more than that of my Clio over the same period.