House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

Recent Storms And Floods Due To Gay Marriage

A UKIP councillor has blamed the recent storms and floods which devastated many communities on the Government's decision to legalise gay marriage.

David Silvester, who defected from the Tories to the UK Independence Party in protest at David Cameron's support for same-sex unions, claimed he had warned the Prime Minister that the legislation would result in "disasters".

And now the Henley-on-Thames councillor says that the country has been "beset by storms" since the passage of the new law on gay marriage, because Mr Cameron had acted "arrogantly against the Gospel".

In a letter to the Henley Standard he wrote: "The scriptures make it abundantly clear that a Christian nation that abandons its faith and acts contrary to the Gospel (and in naked breach of a coronation oath) will be beset by natural disasters such as storms, disease, pestilence and war.

"I wrote to David Cameron in April 2012 to warn him that disasters would accompany the passage of his same-sex marriage bill.

"But he went ahead despite a 600,000-signature petition by concerned Christians and more than half of his own parliamentary party saying that he should not do so."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-councillor-david-silvester-claims-3035201

Well at least it'll be entertaining if they ever get into government.

I wonder if the establishment got some tories to sign up to UKIP to discredit them when the time was right.

Sluts for not cleaning behind the fridge, gays to blame for bad weather, etc....

Lots more to come I think.

I wish loads more ethnic minorities, gay people and women would join UKIP. I'm still voting for them anyway, but it would look better if they could widen their appeal now.

I wonder if the establishment got some tories to sign up to UKIP to discredit them when the time was right.

Sluts for not cleaning behind the fridge, gays to blame for bad weather, etc....

that ayling woman in lincs was an ex-tory too.

If you read the local rags this country is full of councillor level tory boneheads. It seems only when they defect to ukip does the national press suddenly take interest. wonder why.

that ayling woman in lincs was an ex-tory too.

If you read the local rags this country is full of councillor level tory boneheads. It seems only when they defect to ukip does the national press suddenly take interest. wonder why.

He's not so daft,

He has just sewn up 600,000 Christian votes.

I wish loads more ethnic minorities, gay people and women would join UKIP. I'm still voting for them anyway, but it would look better if they could widen their appeal now.

ive been to a couple of ukip events for members that were open to the public. No shortage of women...restricted to the blue rinse curtain twitching NIMBY variety, but they're there. A few asians present, but even in majority white cambridgeshire probably still underrepresented. No idea about the gays, but farages sudden love of christiainsanity cant help.

It's what I would do.

wrt to the specific claim...

"The scriptures make it abundantly clear that a Christian nation that abandons its faith and acts contrary to the Gospel (and in naked breach of a coronation oath) will be beset by natural disasters such as storms, disease, pestilence and war.

There is precisely biff all on the subject of homosexuality in the Gospels. So, even within the context of matey's own belief system, he's talking c0ck. It's not abundantly clear at all.

There is a fair old bit of pestilence, smiting and negativity to homosexuals in the Old Testament but, even there, being gay doesn't make the Top 10 Don't Do list.

Which puts the Old Testament attitude to gayness in roughly the same league as stuff like not eating pork. Maybe the storms are divine punishment for full English breakfasts?

edit: or maybe it's because we don't stone rape victims to death? That's got to be worth a thunderstorm or two.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-councillor-david-silvester-claims-3035201

Well at least it'll be entertaining if they ever get into government.

Reminds me of post-tsunami Aceh, where daughter was working for quite a while. The mad imams were ranting that it was all because of ungodly behaviour, in particular cinemas and swimming pools were the work of Satan and should be banned for ever. Daughter did mention to someone agreeing with this that people were an awful lot more ungodly in England, but we never got big earthquakes or tsunamis - could he perhaps explain that to her?

No reply.

Can't say I'm altogether surprised to see similar rantings here. Religious nutterism comes in many shapes and colours.

It's what I would do.

There is precisely biff all on the subject of homosexuality in the Gospels. So, even within the context of matey's own belief system, he's talking c0ck. It's not abundantly clear at all.

There is a fair old bit of pestilence, smiting and negativity to homosexuals in the Old Testament but, even there, being gay doesn't make the Top 10 Don't Do list.

Which puts the Old Testament attitude to gayness in roughly the same league as stuff like not eating pork. Maybe the storms are divine punishment for full English breakfasts?

edit: or maybe it's because we don't stone rape victims to death? That's got to be worth a thunderstorm or two.

The OT God was OK with slavery too. Didn't mind that a bit.

Makes a change from Romanians I suppose.

Why does Henley on Thames attract all the Tory/UKIP nutters?

It's what I would do.

sort of getting interesting now innit.

1)storms and floods are down to gay people

2)the vatican gets hit by a lightning bolt and ratzinger resigns( nothing at all to do with his now not-so-secret crusade against both protestants and muslims(trying to kill two birds with the one stone so to speak) and council-of-trent shenanigins being found out.....and yes there is some truth in the quackery saying there is a bounty on his head.

3) christs right thumb now damaged by bolt of lightning in rio.

plus the likes of chavez etc baying at the US that they allegedly used "earthquake" weapons to trigger stuff like haiti etc.

...erm, would that be the same earthquake weapon the CIA bought from russia back in the 60's?

the technology has moved on a bit since then!

not sure about storms and floods being punishment for the full english, they might have a bit of trouble explaining that one.

certainly not to make people go vegetarian( remember there are alos a few passages about them too......I seem to remember it being called "the doctrines of demons, promoting abstention from meats and forbidding to marry")

it's not exactly rocket science...it basically means there is something in the DNA of pork( and a few others with cloven hoof that don't chew the cud)..which is unhealthy...doesn't mean it can't be eaten...it's just not that good for you.

The OT God was OK with slavery too. Didn't mind that a bit.

This business of modestly claiming to speak for God, knowing what's on His mind, and connecting such and such a collective punishment with such and such a sin is damned tricky.

Deep down, I suspect a lot of these fundamentalist (nominal) Christians aren't really that comfortable with the teachings attributed to Christ at all and much prefer the horrendous goings on in the OT.

It's almost as if, sticking within their internally inconsistent belief system, God needn't have bothered sacrificing his Son at all.

sort of getting interesting now innit.

1)storms and floods are down to gay people

2)the vatican gets hit by a lightning bolt and ratzinger resigns( nothing at all to do with his now not-so-secret crusade against both protestants and muslims(trying to kill two birds with the one stone so to speak) and council-of-trent shenanigins being found out.....and yes there is some truth in the quackery saying there is a bounty on his head.

3) christs right thumb now damaged by bolt of lightning in rio.

plus the likes of chavez etc baying at the US that they allegedly used "earthquake" weapons to trigger stuff like haiti etc.

...erm, would that be the same earthquake weapon the CIA bought from russia back in the 60's?

the technology has moved on a bit since then!

not sure about storms and floods being punishment for the full english, they might have a bit of trouble explaining that one.

certainly not to make people go vegetarian( remember there are alos a few passages about them too......I seem to remember it being called "the doctrines of demons, promoting abstention from meats and forbidding to marry")

it's not exactly rocket science...it basically means there is something in the DNA of pork( and a few others with cloven hoof that don't chew the cud)..which is unhealthy...doesn't mean it can't be eaten...it's just not that good for you.

You vote UKIP, don't you?

I know. It's the usury, isn't it.

well technically if we are going by old testament rules, no.

I think the instructions were something to the effect of:

1) usury.

thou shalt lend to other nations but not borrow from them, thou shalt also not lend to your fellow isrealite at interest.(so I guess mr rothschild sporting that "tribe of judah" red cord on his left wrist has a bit of explaining to do to the big man upstairs...as we are supposed to be fellow isrealites..)

(ie this is a family business......you lend outside the family you are allowed to take a small premium to cover for risk of not getting it back)

..but within isrealite households.....usury forbidden, plus all debts relieved every sabbatical

2) slavery.

you can take slaves, but must not mistreat them.......if they happen to like your conditions after the first year then you can keep them, if not then they must be released to ply their trade elsewhere.

..every sabbatical they must be released( and also with enough money/possesions to start afresh, not just turfed out in the cold)....

but again if they are following old testament , the punishment for not playing by the rules is pretty nasty.

Personally, I would start from a much more workaday postion. That NO UKIP councillor ever said such a thing...until you personally have seen full unedited evidence.

Very laudable. I don't believe the offending letter is on the Henley Standard website (yet?). However, a purported photo of part of the offending letter did appear on Twitter earlier this evening

rjdtvb.jpg

He's not so daft,

He has just sewn up 600,000 Christian votes.

He's in good company, too:

(Phelps also did a "God hates England" video, the gist of which was that Prince Charles is gay, his mother refuses to have him executed and that therefore, the entire population of England is doomed to burn in Hell - but I can't find it on YT, so his anti-Scotland rant will have to do)

Yep. Thing is the sheeple don`t care, they only hear the anti-EU anti immigration message ( and lets face it many sheeple are anti gay marriage as well, so one "eccentric" chap won`t put them off a party) SKY press preview last night had support rocketing for UKIP, Cameron still popular, and Ed as an also ran. UKIP will be running the debate all the way to the election.

I'm not voting for them but, as a casual observer, I'd say they're in the process of turning from a fringe party where any help they could get they took into something more mainstream with enough supporters that they don't need to keep the nutters around any longer. I can see it taking some time to finish the job though.