House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Japanese Soldier Who Refused To Surrender After Wwii And Spent 29 Years In The Jungle Has Died Aged 91

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541104/Japanese-soldier-Hiroo-Onoda-refused-surrender-WWII-spent-29-years-jungle-died-aged-91.html

Hiroo Onoda, the last Japanese imperial soldier to emerge from hiding in a jungle in the Philippines and surrender, 29 years after the end of World War II, has died. He was 91.

Onoda died on Thursday at a Tokyo hospital after a brief stay there. Chief government spokesman Yoshihide Suga on Friday expressed his condolences, praising Onoda for his strong will to live and indomitable spirit.

‘After World War II, Mr. Onoda lived in the jungle for many years and when he returned to Japan, I felt that finally, the war was finished. That's how I felt,’ Suga said.

He surrendered only when his former commander flew there to reverse his 1945 orders to stay behind and spy on American troops.

Onoda and another World War II holdout, Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi, who emerged from the jungle in 1972, received massive heroes' welcomes upon returning home.

Did he really survive on his own for this long?

Speaking as a money-saving person I am well impressed by how long his uniform lasted, here's hoping they do Japanese military surplus in western sizes.

He was not well regarded by the people of the Philippines, 30 of whom died at his hands.

Dunno about that figure, but he was pardoned by the Philippine state.

The other guys with him surrendered after a few years, so I guess he was a survivalist at heart.

One Man. Doing Insignificant Stuff. Attracting Outrageous Attention.

I think this case was the most amazing:

Yamakage Kufuku and Matsudo Linsoki, two IJN machine gunners, surrendered on Iwo Jima on January 6, 1949.

After all the fighting and massive US troop numbers on that small island....! Four years!

Why does a bloke sitting in a bunker and denying reality for years somehow remind me of HPC?

HIs obituary says when he got back to Japan he was disgusted by people who criticised him for surrendering. So he moved to Brazil.

Yes, disgusting isn't it.

It`s a pity that all those who supported the system didn`t top themselves....(including Abe)