House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Comedians Have Psychotic Personality Traits

Actors too, but they don't have the introversion vibe going on.

In a study in the British Journal of Psychiatry, researchers analyzed comedians from Australia, Britain and the United States and found they scored significantly higher on four types of psychotic characteristics compared to a control group of people who had non-creative jobs.

The traits included a tendency towards impulsive or anti-social behavior, and a tendency to avoid intimacy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/16/us-comedians-psychotic-idUSBREA0F00M20140116

I'll bet politicians have some too, except they are not as funny! :blink:

Great clip thanks, 100% proof distilled essence of the 70s.

I don't think Larry was actually gay, he just pretended so he could drape himself over Isla.

Rightly or wrongly... I've often thought that comedians must be a little different to the norm.

Doesn't mean "psychotic", actually I've often wondered if comedians are essentially quite shy people who struggle with self-esteem.

And appearing in front of a live audience throwing themselves to the proverbial wolves provides a sugar-rush of self-esteem and reassurance.

I don't mind giving presentations and appearing in front of many people. I can "talk for England". As some posts show. But to present yourself as someone who can and will make people laugh, and risk ridicule..

How many of us would attempt that?

Heard Sean Hughes referring to this study on Saturday, in interview with Dermot Dancing Dude from X-Factor.

Hughes said he gave up drinking on his comedy tours because it killed the buzz he had after coming off stage. Sounds good.

Later he said Irish people are full of stories because they're off in their own world, convinced that everyone must relate to them - fueled by drink.

Rightly or wrongly... I've often thought that comedians must be a little different to the norm.

Doesn't mean "psychotic", actually I've often wondered if comedians are essentially quite shy people who struggle with self-esteem.

And appearing in front of a live audience throwing themselves to the proverbial wolves provides a sugar-rush of self-esteem and reassurance.

I don't mind giving presentations and appearing in front of many people. I can "talk for England". As some posts show. But to present yourself as someone who can and will make people laugh, and risk ridicule..

How many of us would attempt that?

Interesting article from the Huffington Post...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-clark/do-you-have-to-be-depress_b_611836.html

It suggests that comedians with mental health problems (be it depression or whatever) seem to see the world differently then a "normal" person, and they feel to have an outlet to show others the way they see life and society - via comedy...its a sort of coping mechanism...

I'd love to have a crack at stand-up, but I probably disgrace myself..

I'd love to have a crack at stand-up, but I probably disgrace myself..

Although I might be amusing in a confined space, I would not do it!