Money (Xkcd)

tomandlu

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

and it is probably one of the most efficient uses of money that there is, and with the biggest pay back

Absolutely! No idea why governments seem so adverse to following the maths on this one. Short-termism I guess as few scientific projects produce economically productive results within a 5 year term...

HOLA447

Absolutely! No idea why governments seem so adverse to following the maths on this one. Short-termism I guess as few scientific projects produce economically productive results within a 5 year term...

Because, as I posted on another thread, very few MPs have a science degree Only one with primary knowledge

They just don't 'get it', like many other things

HOLA448

Because, as I posted on another thread, very few MPs have a science degree Only one with primary knowledge

They just don't 'get it', like many other things

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

It's highly depressing that, on this subject as on others, we have to turn to the undemocratic House of Lords if we want to see anything approaching sensible policy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

It's highly depressing that, on this subject as on others, we have to turn to the undemocratic House of Lords if we want to see anything approaching sensible policy.

House of Lords is good on science, their select committees especially.

But the government representatives in the House of Lords steer debates on science policy too much, unfortunately, which trickles down to how the science budget is spent by the Research Councils (RCs). For example, you now have to justify how your grant will contribute to 'wealth creation and quality of life', which gives a very short-term approach to what science is funded, and some rather desperate justifications in proposals.

Fortunately, the Royal Society is less influenced than the RCs and is perhaps the jewel in UKs science crown, especially with respect to its University Research Fellowship scheme for young scientists, which gives up to 10 years (5 + 3 + 2), although more typically 8 years (5 + 3) of funding and intellectual freedom.

HOLA4411

House of Lords is good on science, their select committees especially.

But the government representatives in the House of Lords steer debates on science policy too much, unfortunately, which trickles down to how the science budget is spent by the Research Councils (RCs). For example, you now have to justify how your grant will contribute to 'wealth creation and quality of life', which gives a very short-term approach to what science is funded, and some rather desperate justifications in proposals.

Fortunately, the Royal Society is less influenced than the RCs and is perhaps the jewel in UKs science crown, especially with respect to its University Research Fellowship scheme for young scientists, which gives up to 10 years (5 + 3 + 2), although more typically 8 years (5 + 3) of funding and intellectual freedom.

As far as I can see this policy isn't based on any evidence. Has anyone done a comparative study on the wealth generation of projects that were undertaken specifically to create wealth versus those engaged in pure science? I very much doubt they would get a result that supported either the Research Councils current approach or the government's relative underinvestment in the science budget.

I often wonder what breakthroughs might be in the pipeline if as a society we had taken the money we used to bailout the banks and invested it in science education and R&D instead.

HOLA4412

As far as I can see this policy isn't based on any evidence. Has anyone done a comparative study on the wealth generation of projects that were undertaken specifically to create wealth versus those engaged in pure science? I very much doubt they would get a result that supported either the Research Councils current approach or the government's relative underinvestment in the science budget.

I often wonder what breakthroughs might be in the pipeline if as a society we had taken the money we used to bailout the banks and invested it in science education and R&D instead.

Or reskilled British Leyland to develop tidal power - you get my drift

HOLA4413

Or reskilled British Leyland to develop tidal power - you get my drift

Yep, that would have been great: less reliance on energy imports, less need to push on with fracking before the long term impacts can be properly assessed, etc. So clearly far too sensible to be actual policy...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415