House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fluffy666

Car Possible Accident Question

Scenario: wife was driving home. Tyre broke up at speed, some debris possibly hits another car, some cosmetic damage. Is this an insurance claim?

Scenario: wife was driving home. Tyre broke up at speed, some debris possibly hits another car, some cosmetic damage. Is this an insurance claim?

I think only if negligence on your/wife's part. Did you know tyre was old/damaged/etc.

I think only if negligence on your/wife's part. Did you know tyre was old/damaged/etc.

Got a new set for the car a year ago. Bit surprised this happened.

If damage to third party's car minor/cosmetic consider just paying their repair bill without involving insurers, if they'll agree.

Negligence has nothing to do with it. If you had a blow out and crashed into another car, that would be an insurance claim. Same incident but more serious outcome.

If the other driver claims on their insurance, their insurance will claim off your insurance - your wife will lose her no claims. If it's minor cosmetic damage you'd be better off just offering to pay for it without a claim.

If damage to third party's car minor/cosmetic consider just paying their repair bill without involving insurers, if they'll agree.

Indeed. See if they'll get a couple of quotes to boot, they might head straight for the main dealer which may not be appropriate if the car in question is older.

Seems like you may have to eat up to about a £500 bill before it is worth getting insurance companies involved, depending on your ncd etc.

Guest eight

Got a new set for the car a year ago. Bit surprised this happened.

It was a Pirelli wasn't it? Is your "wife" Nico Rosberg?

If your wife and the third party did not exchange details at the time report the matter to a police station within 24 hours.

Otherwise she is in danger of the police becoming involved and may have committed an offence.

Negligence has nothing to do with it. If you had a blow out and crashed into another car, that would be an insurance claim. Same incident but more serious outcome.

If the other driver claims on their insurance, their insurance will claim off your insurance - your wife will lose her no claims. If it's minor cosmetic damage you'd be better off just offering to pay for it without a claim.

As someone who hates taking part in a losing bet (ie insurance), I keep my excess as high as possible and have, once over 20 years, settled directly with someone who's car I'd reversed into (dolt!).

However, the insurance companies now (not sure if they did in the past) require you to declare all accidents - claim or no claim. I'm fairly certain that declaring such would result in a price impact when you renew. OTOH, how would they find out?

And the car rental and the psychological trauma claim and the loss of earning claim. Depends on how the ''injured'' party decide to play it.

Incidentally when someone drove into the back of me the various claims companies were wanting to milk it for all it was worth including extended car hire. In the event I just claimed for the damage.....and that turned out to be a £3,060 write off for a tiny bump.

And the car rental and the psychological trauma claim and the loss of earning claim. Depends on how the ''injured'' party decide to play it.

Incidentally when someone drove into the back of me the various claims companies were wanting to milk it for all it was worth including extended car hire. In the event I just claimed for the damage.....and that turned out to be a £3,060 write off for a tiny bump.

I recently clipped somebody's open driver's door outside of school whilst passing at about 10mph. His door bent back and even though the damage to my own car was minimal it still came to around £700 so I went down the insurance route to have my repairs done as well as his. The garage said it was the lacquer that bumped the price up. Not sure about that but even a minor dent was costly.

I was shook up despite it being a minor incident as I'd never had a bump before. I eventually got my head round it all and what this would mean for my insurance but what I struggled to come to terms with was his claim for whiplash!

Flip it round- if you were doing 60 in the inside lane in your brand new immaculate car, just acquired on a £1000 deposit and £200 a month tick and somebody screwed your paintwork by having a blowout just in front of you...would you just shrug and not pursue it?

It's unfortunate, but IMO you're liable. I speak as a man with 10+ years no claims and who drives a shed- renewal this year £167 for a 150mph car. I'm hoping to make 30 years no claims, but I won't be bitter if it doesn't happen through circumstances beyond my control. Neither of my parents did.