House Price Crash Forum

Caredata

DEATH

HOLA441
HOLA442

Giant NHS database rollout delayed

I should think so too, with just 30% of people affected being aware of it. Of them. a fair proportion not understanding it.

The start of a new NHS data-sharing scheme in England involving medical records is being delayed by six months.

Work to start compiling the largely anonymised records on to the Care.data database was meant to start from April. But NHS England has now decided that will not now happen until the autumn. The organisation has accepted the communications campaign, which gives people the chance to opt out, needs to be improved.

There has been widespread criticism that the public have been "left in the dark" over the plans amid reports not everyone received the leaflets explaining the project.

Made the BBC evening news but not ITN.

Looks like NHS will have to write to people individually and include an opt-out form.

HOLA443

Giant NHS database rollout delayed

I should think so too, with just 30% of people affected being aware of it. Of them. a fair proportion not understanding it.

Made the BBC evening news but not ITN.

Looks like NHS will have to write to people individually and include an opt-out form.

I still plan on dropping the opt out form over to the surgery later this week, it is still sat on my desk..

Then I wondered whether, actually, this is going to be a little like the EU referenda.

It will get re-launched under a very slightly different guise, and those opt out forms conveniently won't apply to it.

The reason for the delay "to better explain the benefits" does make my naturally cynical side wonder if actually, many more people are aware than thought, and have indeed opted out, and GP surgeries have driven this by complaining about workload.

HOLA444

I still plan on dropping the opt out form over to the surgery later this week, it is still sat on my desk..

Then I wondered whether, actually, this is going to be a little like the EU referenda.

It will get re-launched under a very slightly different guise, and those opt out forms conveniently won't apply to it.

The reason for the delay "to better explain the benefits" does make my naturally cynical side wonder if actually, many more people are aware than thought, and have indeed opted out, and GP surgeries have driven this by complaining about workload.

In your position, I'd submit your opt-out form anyway... along with any others that may or may not become available between now and September.

HOLA445

Indeed, I had that thought and certainly wondered about those who had already opted out. Would they be voided because they 'hadn't understood,' and could now have another go.

HOLA446

BBC website: Care.data: How did it go so wrong?

Questions have also been asked about why a decision has yet to be taken about what some consider the most controversial aspect of the project - the sharing of data with private companies.

This will not be decided until a meeting in March. It meant the public were being asked whether they wanted to opt out without knowing who was going to get access to their largely anonymised medical records.

HOLA447
HOLA448

And so I find myself browsing for private GPs..

Doesn't look like an option for everyone as there aren't that many centres which offer the service - we're lucky in that the nearest centre is about the same distance away as the NHS GP surgery.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/self-pay-treatments/gp-services/gp-detail

At this point I haven't read the Ts and Cs but hoping that they state that the information they hold about you is only held by them and not disclosed elsewhere.

I was browsing this on my mobile and the mobile version is a little different, with wording that says something along the lines of "We may not be able to start treatment without your medical history" or similar. I'm assuming that you they can get this from your GP with your permission. Will check this.

I'm also assuming that sadly, there's no way to have the NHS completely delete everything associated with you after you've "uplifted" the data yourself.

Does anyone know - can you get a copy of absolutely everything that your GP holds about you?

HOLA449

There seems to be regular stories now.

NHS England patient data 'uploaded to Google servers', Tory MP says

A prominent Tory MP on the powerful health select committee has questioned how the entire NHS hospital patient database for England was handed over to management consultants who uploaded it to Google servers based outside the UK.

Sarah Wollaston, who practised as a family doctor and is now a Conservative backbencher, tweeted: "So HES [hospital episode statistics] data uploaded to 'google's immense army of servers', who consented to that?"

The patient information had been obtained by PA Consulting, which claimed to have secured the "entire start-to-finish HES dataset across all three areas of collection – inpatient, outpatient and A&E".

Hospital records used to 'target ads on Twitter and Facebook' say privacy campaigners, in latest NHS data concerns

The security of NHS data was thrown into further doubt yesterday after it emerged anonymous patient information has been used by a marketing consultancy to advise clients on targeting their social media campaigns.

"47 million people don’t have a clue that their hospital history has been used to target ads on Twitter and Facebook," he [Phil Booth, from Medconfidential] said.

etc, etc.

I suspect palms have been greased and directorships assured.

HOLA4410

Chucked in opt out forms for the wife and I on Feb 27th, at what I thought was the last minute. We are registered with different GPs, and both of the receptionists seemed completely unfazed, guess they'd had plenty already by that point.

I might not have bothered were it not for the fact that I managed to read my own records over the shoulder of the practice nurse who did my jabs prior to my trip to Tanzania 18 months ago- there were some trenchant references to my booze consumption which were both correct, and a bloody cheek! :lol:

Archived