House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Planning A Trip To Italy

OK have been chatting to my musical hero for a while now via YouTube and she has invited me over to one of her gigs and to meet her.

I feel a sudden empathy with those 15 year old girls who used to stand outside Matt Goss's house back in the late 1980s.

Within a month I need to learn at least some basic Italian and book somewhere.

The gigs are in Milan and Brescia.

Never been to Italy but always wanted to go.

Probably a three day break. I'm not very good at this sort of stuff. Any tips..

OK have been chatting to my musical hero for a while now via YouTube and she has invited me over to one of her gigs and to meet her.

I feel a sudden empathy with those 15 year old girls who used to stand outside Matt Goss's house back in the late 1980s.

Can we know who this is?

Going from your thread with the Eurodance track I'm guessing it might be the original Sabrina, who will be playing football with her t*ts by now.....

Definitely learning Italian, the basics. I went there in September and would have been totally lost without my Italian hosts...

I don't know if you've ever been, but you know how everyone hypes Italian ice cream? The hype is true. It is .....amazing.

I must look up the word 'tune'. :D

A timed sequence of harmonically related tones! :blink:;)

I don't know if you've ever been, but you know how everyone hypes Italian ice cream? The hype is true. It is .....amazing.

An ice cream in February in Brescia might not be such a great idea, Brescia is in northern Italy near the Alps so DTMark should expect wintery temperatures.

DTMark I hope this won't disappoint you (I guess it won't as you are going for Paola, not so much for visiting Italy ;) ) but the real Italy starts south of Bologna, Brescia and most of northern Italy is actually in many ways more similar to northern Europe than to the Mediterranean parts of Italy.

---

Ages since I went and not been to Brescia.

All I can offer on a practical basis is that you are doing exactly the right thing in learning some Italian, most of them spoke no other language which is very different to Germany, France, Portugal.

The tricky thing is to decide what Italian you're going to learn to meet Paola, how about:

Sono così entusiasta di Met You (ridacchia) Ho tutti i record e le mie pareti sono coperte con i vostri manifesti. Vuoi vedere il mio tatuaggio?

All I can offer on a practical basis is that you are doing exactly the right thing in learning some Italian, most of them spoke no other language which is very different to Germany, France, Portugal.

The tricky thing is to decide what Italian you're going to learn to meet Paola, how about:

Sono così entusiasta di Met You (ridacchia) Ho tutti i record e le mie pareti sono coperte con i vostri manifesti. Vuoi vedere il mio tatuaggio?

jedhouse1tv.jpg

I shall confess that I have a mate into photography with a top notch A3 printer who is going to print up a poster for me. And I do have quite a lot of the stuff she's done on vinyl. Cheeky ;)

Have chatted to her for a while but since I don't speak Italian I have to be very careful with the choice of words, then put the message into Google, get the Italian, and then translate it backwards to see if any of the "meaning" changes. I think if I gathered her stuff together and sent a photo of it she might think it was a "Partridge moment" - that episode was absolutely classic. "No way, you're a mentalist".

I really have no idea what to say to her anyway. It's not a sexual thing, it's just that the three records I like most are all by her. On the list of "people I most admire".

I downloaded the Michel Thomas introductory guide to Italian and I got several minutes into it before I realised that the Italian guy was actually speaking English. I can see this being a challenge. But I'm sure it's poss-eeeeee-be-lee.

Need to check out the venue in Brescia to see where is nearby to stay.

I've always wanted to go to Italy, I'd love to see Pompeii but even my dreadful knowledge of geography tells me it's a fair way from Brescia. I think we might make this our main holiday this year and also take in Amsterdam - been a few years since I've been there.

I think we might have to go for a later date. There's just no way I'm going to become fluent in Italian in a month.

Non e possibile per me cosi.

Apparently.

I can ask for stuff in shops, find out how much it is, ask why someone does or does not want to do something, ask "do you want the same again" and, er, that's about it.

That's the ice-breakers covered. Questions like "Do you think that your collaboration with DJ Spy was one of your best" are somewhat out of reach at the moment.

I was looking through websites about nightlife in Brescia and realised that those key phrases aren't going to cut it. Does look like a really pretty place though, and not far from Lake Garda.

Is there not an iPhone app yet where you can speak into it in English, press the "Italian" button and it speaks the words you just said in Italian? Guessing it's a bit much for the resources of a mobile unless it has a live internet connection.

Ahhhhh, it reminds me of probably the most romantic holiday of my life, when my wife and I, as the peak of our physical fitness, cycled from Constance in Germany, over the Alps via the Splügenpass into Italy and then on to Florence. Our route took us past Lake Como and along the River Adda, through Crema and Cremona (not far from Brescia). It's such a beautiful part of the world. A photographer took photos of our luggage-laden bicycles cos he though he might be able to sell them to the tourist agency. Just by chance, we saw a historical re-enactment of some ancient battle in a town called Sabbionetta, with horsemen and flaming maces. Oh to be young again!

Edit: Oh, and Google Translate on Android devices does what you mention, translating spoken English into speech in other language. It needs an internet connection though, and it's not that good for English to German. Dunno about Italian, though I doubt it's much cop.

Ahhhhh, it reminds me of probably the most romantic holiday of my life, when my wife and I, as the peak of our physical fitness, cycled from Constance in Germany, over the Alps via the Splügenpass into Italy and then on to Florence. Our route took us past Lake Como and along the River Adda, through Crema and Cremona (not far from Brescia). It's such a beautiful part of the world. A photographer took photos of our luggage-laden bicycles cos he though he might be able to sell them to the tourist agency. Just by chance, we saw a historical re-enactment of some ancient battle in a town called Sabbionetta, with horsemen and flaming maces. Oh to be young again!

Edit: Oh, and Google Translate on Android devices does what you mention, translating spoken English into speech in other language. It needs an internet connection though, and it's not that good for English to German. Dunno about Italian, though I doubt it's much cop.

Sounds like fun ;) Such stunning parts of the world.

Well, bugger me (in the proverbial sense)

There is a Windows phone app that does that.

I just installed it and picked a phrase that I know from what I have learned, and said it to the phone. It then shows (although doesn't speak unless you press the button and then it's a bit quiet) the Italian.

And although I'm very much a novice, it comes back with exactly what I thought it would. Very clever. Does need an internet connection though but I'm sure I can pick up an Italian prepay SIM card.

I must admit as a developer, even accepting the nuances of languages, that I had thought that it would be possible for say MS Outlook to receive an email in Italian and show the text in English to the recipient, and do the reverse translation on the reply by now.

Will be very useful for learning

"Pensi che ti coopearatiozione con le Spot DJ e stato uno del tuoi migliori?"

Very good. I'm impressed, apart from "Spy" becoming "Spot". I shall practice;)

Any tips on learning languages from the crew here?

I've listened to the Michel Thomas Italian introductory course a fair number of times now. I've downloaded the next course.

I've been hurtling around the M25 on the way to my parents house repeating the phrases. Listening in the bath (really). I've been watching Inspector DeLuca and I could detect that when he went to see the show girl, she didn't say what the subtitles said "It's the Police." I am guessing what she actually said was much more like "It's the filth" or "it's the pigs", whatever the colloquial version of that is.

The phrases "stick".. for about a week. Then I forget them.

The more I listen, the more it "sticks". As you'd expect. But because I'm not really using it as such, it fades quickly. And yet, despite never using French since school, I can still speak the language at a basic level fairly fluently.

We're going in May or June and it's important to me that I get a grasp of this. The mobile app is all well and good, and maybe I'm asking a bit much to learn a foreign language in such a short space of time.

I'll see if I can track down an Italian radio station to listen to during the day..