House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Fined £1000 For Going On A Family Holiday In School Time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540054/People-make-laws-dont-live-real-world-Anger-father-fined-600-taking-three-children-school-weeks-holiday-Greece.html

A couple who took their three children out of school to go on a week-long holiday to Greece have been fined £630 and ordered to pay £300 in costs.

Stewart Sutherland and his wife Natasha both admitted three counts of failing to ensure their children attended school for six days in September last year after taking them out of classes to enjoy their first family holiday together in five years.

They were also handed a £63 victim surcharge after telling magistrates work commitments had prevented them taking the holiday during the official summer break.

Speaking after the case at Telford Magistrates’ Court in Shropshire, Mr Sutherland described newly-tightened regulations governing pupils’ absence for holidays as a farce.

The 39-year-old, who works as a Ministry of Defence guard, told reporters: ‘The only thing they’ve taken into consideration is that I pleaded guilty, apart from that they didn’t listen.

‘The system stinks. The price of a holiday never came into it. I could not get any time off work for that period of time and the people who make these laws don’t live in the real world. They’ve never been put in the situation where they’ve got young children, trying to bring up a family, and they’re not shift workers.

So if you want to go on holiday it's got to be when everyone else with kids is forced to go on holiday. Fill your boots.

So now if you're on a limited income you've got to think about being fined on top of the price. Still perhaps they could take out a pay day loan.

Do the kids get the victim surcharge? Or is that really another tax?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540054/People-make-laws-dont-live-real-world-Anger-father-fined-600-taking-three-children-school-weeks-holiday-Greece.html

So if you want to go on holiday it's got to be when everyone else with kids is forced to go on holiday. Fill your boots.

So now if you're on a limited income you've got to think about being fined on top of the price. Still perhaps they could take out a pay day loan.

Molly coddled.. state knows best .. oooh think of the children Britain !!

Interesting, and the subject of many arguments between me and a teacher cousin.

I was a firefighter's wife and he was told when he could have his summer holidays. On several occasions we had our summer leave on October or November. If they'd had the stupid rule then, would we be expected to leave our seven year old to fend for himself or should my husband have just gone AWOL?

Interesting, and the subject of many arguments between me and a teacher cousin.

In my experience teachers usually support policies which involve an authority figure deciding what's best for everybody and telling them what to do. I don't know if teaching attracts people who were like that anyway or if the job trains them to think like that.

I expect the family in the article would have been fine if they'd been off on something sky fairy-related.

If you're on benefits you don't care as you won't have to pay the fine, and as the main purpose of school is allowing parents to keep going to work it's irrelevant if you dip two weeks.

But we must have laws and punishments, it keeps people in work.

I liked school, and uni, but bar arithmetic and reading I learnt nothing that helped me in real life, and I could have learnt those in a lot less than the 18 years I spent in education. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't necessary.

We wanted to take our kids out to China for Chinese New Year, but the school refused. They had to stay in school and spend the week learning about... Chinese New Year. You live and learn, next time they'll just be off sick.

They should appeal I think this is against their human rights

They probably saved over £1000 by going in term time. It's only fair that the state gets some of the savings! :angry: :lol:

Who the ****** do these people think they are? They are supposed to work for US, not us for them!

Hey Britain, WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Guest eight

They should appeal I think this is against their human rights

I think they should have timed it to coincide with the Hajj pilgrimage.

Guest eight

They probably saved over £1000 by going in term time. It's only fair that the state gets some of the savings! :angry: :lol:

I actually think that was the rationale behind this scheme.

I was puzzled as to what they were charged with - given that school isn't compulsory. But, having googled, it appears that if your sprog is registered at a state school, the parents have to ensure they attend.

One of the good things about the independent system is that, as a parent, I've been utterly unaware of even the existence of such nonsense. Friends of ours took their sprog out for a term for a big sailing trip. School not at all worried and no local councils involved whatsoever. State schools do seem to be the way the system really gets its hooks into children and parents.

I was puzzled as to what they were charged with - given that school isn't compulsory. But, having googled, it appears that if your sprog is registered at a state school, the parents have to ensure they attend.

One of the good things about the independent system is that, as a parent, I've been utterly unaware of even the existence of such nonsense. Friends of ours took their sprog out for a term for a big sailing trip. School not at all worried and no local councils involved whatsoever. State schools do seem to be the way the system really gets its hooks into children and parents.

your average pleb possibly can't be trusted so easily I fear

having said that, I still don't understand why school summer holidays aren't simply staggered across the country so as to mean that not EVERYBODY is off school at the same time, thus making family holidays cheaper

(unless it's to do with the exact positioning of Easter and then summer exams, but even then there must be more room to manouvre)

So can state schools actually wield this "power" what a fu cked up load of ********

your average pleb possibly can't be trusted so easily I fear

having said that, I still don't understand why school summer holidays aren't simply staggered across the country so as to mean that not EVERYBODY is off school at the same time, thus making family holidays cheaper

(unless it's to do with the exact positioning of Easter and then summer exams, but even then there must be more room to manouvre)

School holidays are staggered in Germany.

Edit: It's also amazing that anything is still planned around Easter given that it must be just a few percent of people that observe it by now.

Oh yes, it is compulsory and the leaving age has recently been raised to 18. Perhaps the plan is to eventually raise it to beyond retirement; total sate control over movement around and beyond the county...

Edit: It's also amazing that anything is still planned around Easter given that it must be just a few percent of people that observe it by now.

well there you go

I seem to recall having some holidays in term time as a child. Don't think it did me any harm, I caught up. Sometimes it is necessary to fit in with the family/budgets/other commitments.

It seems to be another of this legal creep that benefits authority for the sake of it. The state owns your children dontcha know? Watched a shocking tale (Panorama) of social services removing children from seemingly good parents yesterday over 'signs of abuse,' similarly knowing and all-powerful. We have created a monster.

More and more common sense is levered out of the proceedings.

Oh yes, it is compulsory and the leaving age has recently been raised to 18. Perhaps the plan is to eventually raise it to beyond retirement; total sate control over movement around and beyond the county...

*Education* is compulsory - *school* isn't.

And, as I've learned today, state school brings a whole load more compulsion and scrutiny.

Thankfully, you don't have to send your kids to any school whatsoever. If I didn't have the wonga, I'd have used tutors at home. However, I reckon it's only a matter of time before such freedoms are stamped on. Probably under "child protection" alarmism; "my god - a child that doesn't check in with the authorities three times every day! something must be done!"

Seems to be a stark reversal of the central ideology that the user of a public service is the 'customer'.

School holidays are a racket for pricing, who can blame anyone for taking time off. Prosecuting people is way over the top but quite inkeeping with the UK mindset of massive punishment for minor infraction.

It seems to be another of this legal creep that benefits authority for the sake of it. The state owns your children dontcha know? Watched a shocking tale (Panorama) of social services removing children from seemingly good parents yesterday over 'signs of abuse,' similarly knowing and all-powerful. We have created a monster.

More and more common sense is levered out of the proceedings.

Watched the same documentary, it was totally harrowing. The worse bit was that medical science was increasingly disproving the original child abuse charges in these particular cases, but despite this being the case the children that had been adopted could never be returned under the current UK system. Apparently the state can take children in error and, if they get adopted, you can't get them back even if you can prove they should never have been taken at all...

Pretty sure France stagger theirs too. It does make sense. Expect it to be introduced here in about 20 years.

In my experience teachers usually support policies which involve an authority figure deciding what's best for everybody and telling them what to do. I don't know if teaching attracts people who were like that anyway or if the job trains them to think like that.

I expect the family in the article would have been fine if they'd been off on something sky fairy-related.

Next time you post, remember to make sure it makes sense when read backwards (without being a palindrome).

Try saying that in Greece where this family went.

Time to leave your pod.