House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

petetong

Developing Ios/android Apps Waste Of Time

Apparently, if you are software developer or want to try your hand at it, and make some money in the process by developing iOS/Android phone apps don't bother. Your chances of making any money from any phone app you develop is very small, 0.01% of apps make a decent return. What a surprise ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/14/mobile_apps_not_financial_success/

Apparently, if you are software developer or want to try your hand at it, and make some money in the process by developing iOS/Android phone apps don't bother.

Sound advice that will be duly ignored by the next person to make a bazillion out of a mobile app.

Its like starting a business (it essentially is a business) most things fail, but you only succeed by trying to do something many many times. Yeah Luck plays into it, but people/apps/websites aren't an instant success, you need a combination of two things:

1. ALOT of time and effort

2. ALOT of luck

if you put more time and effort into it, it appears that your luckier.

It's called the Long Tail. With millions of products, only a small fraction will sell in any significant number. But since the cost of production is now nil (beyond the time you put in, which for most is hobby time), people can and do release long-tail apps.

It's called the Long Tail. With millions of products, only a small fraction will sell in any significant number. But since the cost of production is now nil (beyond the time you put in, which for most is hobby time), people can and do release long-tail apps.

This is the most important part, very much chicken and egg. So few as a percentage make any profit because there are so many in the first place, as the article points out many are free regardless. The cost of production is virtually zero.

They also have the business case around the wrong way. I'm developing an app at the moment* it will be free and have no income stream, so from the article's perspective it gets throw in with the "won't make any money" list, however my company is being paid to develop it.

With apps costing so little to develop, 0.01% is a realistic chance of return. 1 in 10k is surprisingly high, high enough that with a bit of venture capital and some Indians you've got a chance of making some money.

I've got an idea for an app. Its called hot babe alert. It monitors all the phones nearest to you using a very complex algorithm checking pictures on phones to determine whether a hottie is worthy of attention.

I've got an idea for an app. Its called hot babe alert. It monitors all the phones nearest to you using a very complex algorithm checking pictures on phones to determine whether a hottie is worthy of attention.

Been done. Years ago.

It's a favourite assignment for certain journos to go out and test-drive.

Apparently, if you are software developer or want to try your hand at it, and make some money in the process by developing iOS/Android phone apps don't bother. Your chances of making any money from any phone app you develop is very small, 0.01% of apps make a decent return. What a surprise ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/14/mobile_apps_not_financial_success/

I saw that too! Most "apps" are mostly advertising! How clever is that?

How about a "cocklepicker app"! Works out your location, in the pub and tells you when the man with the tray of vinegar soaked pickled rubber, will be displaying his wares pretty soon, also pinpoints your closest Rabbi, so you don't get caught! :blink:

Would this algorithm be more effective than the human eye?

I saw that too! Most "apps" are mostly advertising! How clever is that?

How about a "cocklepicker app"! Works out your location, in the pub and tells you when the man with the tray of vinegar soaked pickled rubber, will be displaying his wares pretty soon, also pinpoints your closest Rabbi, so you don't get caught! :blink:

I suppose the amount of effort/resource needed to make a really good app is a constraining factor, so making a naff advertising app is the alternative ...

<Cough cough>

Some of us make a great deal of money writing mobile apps for large corporarions. How many other industries can someone walk in and have access to billions of potential customers while paying so little up front?

However success is 99% execution, which is why good talent in this industry is very hard to recruit right now (all the good developers have jobs elsewhere).

Be aware that this started with the iPhone which is almost 7 years old now. So all the obvious apps are already here, hence we will need to move onto the next decade of innovation soon.

Think mainframes > desktop PCs > websites > mobile phones > ???

Trends are for smaller wearable devices (smart watches, heart monitors, lab on a chip), and a huge glut of wealthy old people with complicated medical problems as the boomers retire.

Invest your time wisely.

<Cough cough>

Some of us make a great deal of money writing mobile apps for large corporarions. How many other industries can someone walk in and have access to billions of potential customers while paying so little up front?

However success is 99% execution, which is why good talent in this industry is very hard to recruit right now (all the good developers have jobs elsewhere).

Be aware that this started with the iPhone which is almost 7 years old now. So all the obvious apps are already here, hence we will need to move onto the next decade of innovation soon.

Think mainframes > desktop PCs > websites > mobile phones > ???

Trends are for smaller wearable devices (smart watches, heart monitors, lab on a chip), and a huge glut of wealthy old people with complicated medical problems as the boomers retire.

Invest your time wisely.

Do you mean something like an embedded language, Java's original raison d'etre, on multiple small devices in the home etc ? Would seem to tally with Googles recent acquisitions ?

Now that was my idea but it was called the 'ccc test' app that would pull up a list of babes that 'ccc would.'

Seriously I have few apps on my phone as the memory always fills up. More memory means more apps can be installed.