House Price Crash Forum
Justice

Will The Trigger Be

We know houses are failing already but from what I understand the WHO keeps telling us that the bird flu has not jumped the species barrier but I was watching a program last week and a doctor in Vietnam said that he caught the virus but like many in that part of the world he did keep live ducks and chickens at home but when these were tested, along with other local residents it was seen that non had the virus so it’s a fair bet that he got it from the patients he was treating.

Apparently a nurse has also caught the virus after treating patients in a hospital.

In a nut shell the virus is now endemic in wild birds and so there is no stopping it from reaching our shores, it will take 6 months to develop and manufacture a vaccinations once they have isolated the strain of virus that transmits between humans and I for one do not intend on venturing far from my front door once it takes hold.

How long can Joe public keep their head above water whilst not working with all this debt that is floating around.

Forget about houses going down this maybe the trigger that brings the financial markets down since no one can ever pay all that debt but it’s fine as long as they can make the minimum payments.

Don’t worry guys Justice will be OK as he has next to no debt and a good stock pile of tinned food and candles , looks like the Gas crisis may run me short on the old candles.

Edited by Justice

Well the good news is you still have to snog a chicken to get it. The bad news is that it is spreading like mad by the looks of it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopN...ina-birdflu.xml

This one might not get us though. Could be 5, 10 or even 50 years before a real nasty one comes up. I guess its all in the roll of the dice.

A bird pooed on me the other day. I have a bloody cold now. I say shoot the lot of em

Could be 5, 10 or even 50 years before a real nasty one comes up.

One thing that's worth remembering is that pretty much the only cases we hear about are the ones which are bad enough that people end up in hospital as a result. It may be that 99% of people who catch bird flu are affected badly enough to end up there, or it could be that 99% just shrug it off like any other kind of flu without ever even knowing where it came from.

Has there been any kind of research done to see just what percentage of people who catch bird flu do end up in life-threatening states?

Guest Bart of Darkness

My (soon to be ex-) mate keeps lots of chickens.

He's getting his Xmas present by post this year! :)

I am a bit of a history nut and, in particular, I like studying wars - especially big wars.

It is often fascinating looking at the years preceeding a great war. It is fascinating, to my anyhow, how you can see the pieces of a jigsaw falling into place over 5, 10 or 15 years that, once they are in place, war inevitably breaks out with all its terrible consequences.

World Wars 1 & 2 spring to mind, not just because of the fact that many people alive today lived through the latter, but because you can so clearly see the jigsaw pieces fitting into place more or less from the day the Armistice was signed in WW1. In fact, many historians would go back further and say that WW1 was merely the first innings. However, from the mid 1920s onwards the signs became very clear to see and it is interesting how there were those alive at the time who could see what was happening - the likes of Churchill, Royce and Mitchell to name but a few of the famous... and then there those who were oblivious to what is happening.

I am no great Sage but I find the events of the past 15 years, since the collapse of Communism and the bringing down of the Berlin Wall, to have similarities between the mid 1920s and 1939. I do wonder whether historians will be looking back on this time and asking "Why didn't people realise what was going on?". To get to the point of this post I think the trigger will be a terrorist event on a scale or, or bigger, than September 11th, 2001. I think war in the Middle East involving Iran and no doubt other Middle Eastern Countries is increasingly likely by the day.

This whole bird flu thing comes straight from the Government and Media Departments of Fear.

In days gone by, it was BSE that would kill everyone, then it was salmonella, then it was SARS, then MMR was going to cause a generation of autistic children.

Bird flu is just the latest one.

Edited by Warwickshire Lad

In days gone by, it was BSE that would kill everyone, then it was salmonella, then it was SARS, then MMR was going to cause a generation of autistic children.

I was petrified of icebergs back in the '80s! :unsure:

Symptoms of the BIRD FLU..

The Centre for Disease Control has released a list of symptoms of bird flu.

If you experience any of the following please seek medical treatment:

1. High fever

2. Congestion

3. Nausea

4. Fatigue

5. Aching in the joints

6. An irresistible urge to sh#t on someone's windshield

This whole bird flu thing comes straight from the Government and Media Departments of Fear.

Maybe, the press tend to go mad when they get a panic worthy story, but flu can be very nasty as history tells us.

The risk is very real, and is not just spin.

I'm not going to worry about the bird flu. It's 100% out of my control. Worring about it is a wast of my energy.

I saw a program about The Plague, how when it was over, what a great job everyone did of picking themself up, and brushing themself off. How the standarded of living of the poor went up. The poor went from eating a diet of sold grain, to adding fruits and vegetables, became land owners etc.

I have no doubt that should the bird flu hit, those left would do the same.

Edited by Karen

Not true at all. The most serious pandemic flu of the last century was in 1918. More people died of flu that year than died in the trenches. It also killed mainly 18-35 year olds, not like most people assume grannies and babies.

If pandemic flu on that scale, or even the scale of some of the other 'less' serious pandemics house prices are the least thing to be worried about. Economies will likely collapse, people will not turn up to work being the main reason. While a lot more can be done remotley these days what are you going to do when no one turns up to stack the shelves at the supermarket?

It could be very nasty. We just have to hope it a) dosen't happen anytime soon and B) when it does happen its contained in the early stages with a vaccine.

to be worried about. Economies will likely collapse, people will not turn up to work being the main reason. While a lot more can be done remotley these days what are you going to do when no one turns up to stack the shelves at the supermarket?

It could be very nasty. We just have to hope it a) dosen't happen anytime soon and B) when it does happen its contained in the early stages with a vaccine.

Tescos deliver ;)

It'll take too long for a vaccine to be developed for it to be of benefit for most people. And especially to produce the quantities needed. Joe public will be way down the list of those with prority to get the jab i.e armed forces and medical staff etc

Bird flu would spell economic disaster - but we'll cross that bridge if and when it happens.

As far as the HPC goes all necesary ingredients are in place and no further trigger is necessary.

I don't even think the wait is an issue any more.

It's a no brainer.

Added: -

The VI's & Govt still appear oblivious to just how serious the debt problem is in the UK.

Spiralling personal indebtedness has yet to make it's mark. House prices will be one of the victims.

Edited by Culpability Brown

I am a bit of a history nut and, in particular, I like studying wars - especially big wars.

It is often fascinating looking at the years preceeding a great war. It is fascinating, to my anyhow, how you can see the pieces of a jigsaw falling into place over 5, 10 or 15 years that, once they are in place, war inevitably breaks out with all its terrible consequences.

World Wars 1 & 2 spring to mind, not just because of the fact that many people alive today lived through the latter, but because you can so clearly see the jigsaw pieces fitting into place more or less from the day the Armistice was signed in WW1. In fact, many historians would go back further and say that WW1 was merely the first innings. However, from the mid 1920s onwards the signs became very clear to see and it is interesting how there were those alive at the time who could see what was happening - the likes of Churchill, Royce and Mitchell to name but a few of the famous... and then there those who were oblivious to what is happening.

I am no great Sage but I find the events of the past 15 years, since the collapse of Communism and the bringing down of the Berlin Wall, to have similarities between the mid 1920s and 1939. I do wonder whether historians will be looking back on this time and asking "Why didn't people realise what was going on?". To get to the point of this post I think the trigger will be a terrorist event on a scale or, or bigger, than September 11th, 2001. I think war in the Middle East involving Iran and no doubt other Middle Eastern Countries is increasingly likely by the day.

You have a valid point. If you mention things like war and civil unrest to people today they think you are nuts. What people don't understand is that our national and international society is being held together by 'sticky tape'. There is not a natural leaning towards peace - left to our own devices we would all be at war with each other.

One of the reasons we have the welfare state (not the only reason though) is because of fear of revolution (working class revolt).

I don't think many people realise just how easily our 'modern, western' societies could slip into war/civil unrest or economic meltdown.

I am not a doom monger and it may not happen but if you look at history and look at the big picture then we shouldn't be resting on our laurels and we shouldn't take stability as a given - it is worked for.

Imagine if in 1939 there had been 3 million Germans, Austrians, Italians and Japanese living in the UK.

Wouldn't have been such a good thing would it?

Imagine if in 1939 there had been 3 million Germans, Austrians, Italians and Japanese living in the UK.

Wouldn't have been such a good thing would it?

Probably would, a war would have been a lot less likely.

The thing with bird flu is that we're apparently all doomed.

Problem is I don't see mass reporting of hundreds dieing in Asia or China where they keep birds like we keep cats. Until then, we really shouldn't worry. No need to go out and stockpile supplies, it takes around 3 weeks for a bird to migrate from Asia to the UK.

The birds due to arrive in the next 3 weeks haven't killed whole villages in their wake so I'm pretty calm about it.

Bird flu won't be the trigger, in fact there won't be a trigger. Trigger's aren't born until after the fact. It's human nature to look back on something good that has ended and look for a "trigger" i.e. blame e.g. if only the doctor had of listened sooner; I said that woman would be the death of him; I went bankrupt because of that one bad investment etc.

I've a feeling that when this is all over and done that "they" will say the trigger was low interest rates and how we'll never go there again as the British people can't handle them. Then again, they'll probably blame it on the relaxation of licensing laws at the wrong time! :lol:

The thing with bird flu is that we're apparently all doomed.

Problem is I don't see mass reporting of hundreds dieing in Asia or China where they keep birds like we keep cats. Until then, we really shouldn't worry. No need to go out and stockpile supplies, it takes around 3 weeks for a bird to migrate from Asia to the UK.

The birds due to arrive in the next 3 weeks haven't killed whole villages in their wake so I'm pretty calm about it.

Bird flu won't be the trigger, in fact there won't be a trigger. Trigger's aren't born until after the fact. It's human nature to look back on something good that has ended and look for a "trigger" i.e. blame e.g. if only the doctor had of listened sooner; I said that woman would be the death of him; I went bankrupt because of that one bad investment etc.

I've a feeling that when this is all over and done that "they" will say the trigger was low interest rates and how we'll never go there again as the British people can't handle them. Then again, they'll probably blame it on the relaxation of licensing laws at the wrong time! :lol:

You will not get a flu pandemic from bird -> human contact. The number of deaths that will ever happen this way will be low.

The problem is when the flu trully jumps the species barrier and becomes contagious from human to human. Where this happens does not matter, if we have shot every bird in England this human to human flu will still get here.

The best we can hope for when it does happen (its a matter of when, not if) is that the flu is both not too virulent (strong) and not too contagious.

You will not get a flu pandemic from bird -> human contact. The number of deaths that will ever happen this way will be low.

The problem is when the flu trully jumps the species barrier and becomes contagious from human to human. Where this happens does not matter, if we have shot every bird in England this human to human flu will still get here.

The best we can hope for when it does happen (its a matter of when, not if) is that the flu is both not too virulent (strong) and not too contagious.

I'm not particularly religious, although I went to a catholic school.

Your "Not if, but when" and the previous observation that the middle east will be the most likely to start the war has reminded me of something in the bible (at least i think it is, correct me if I'm wrong).

A plague of locusts will come or something and a war will break out in the middle east.

Ooooooohhh...could they mean bird flu? Who knows?