House Price Crash Forum

Hpc Poll For Scots Independence

swissy_fit

HOLA441
HOLA442

I went for the last option, rather than not giving a toss I'd say I don't care much either way, entirely up to the Scottish people.

I doubt it will be the milk and honey they think it will be, up to them if they want to risk finding out. That's not to say it will be a disaster for them either.

The only issue I have currently is they seem to have the best of both worlds at the moment, their own parliament yet get to retain seats in Westminster.

You're underestimating how important this vote is.

A Yes must hit England hard, because it will have to shoulder even more of the burden of the Square Mile. No way the Scots are going to bail out Scottish-sounding banks that are tax domiciled in London. Look on it as an ironic reversal of the national bankruptcy in 1701.

I expect Yes votes to radiate across the border, until London declares ultimate independence - "because the UniverseK can't exist without us".

HOLA443

I think he is rightly referring to the nonsense that here was a policy solely applicable to England that could only be passed with the aid of Scottish MP's sitting in Parliament.

I don't think they could come up with a system that contained so many democratic and budgetary unfairnesses if they had tried.

The English Regions get no voice. The Welsh, Irish and Scottish get one each and London effectively gets TWO as the two Parliaments fight it out for local favour.

And behind that voice and influence flows money.

The North-East had a chance - in 2004 - but they threw it away in the referendum.

HOLA444
HOLA445

It was a rubbish referendum deliberately designed to be undesirable.

You could say the same about the 1997 proposals for Wales. However, things have moved on.

As I recall, two Jags and his department were keen on regional devolution, but 2004 killed it dead.

HOLA446

I'm Welsh ,and I would vote for Scottish independence purely to get rid off all the politically ideological purile vindictive half wits that region has fostered on Westminster ,and just to shut the bloody repetitive whiners up!

I would vote against welsh independence as we need less government ,not more , I know who butters our toast .....

HOLA447

I'm Welsh ,and I would vote for Scottish independence purely to get rid off all the politically ideological purile vindictive half wits that region has fostered on Westminster ,and just to shut the bloody repetitive whiners up!

I would vote against welsh independence as we need less government ,not more , I know who butters our toast .....

Well, devolution has reduced the Scottish Raj from 73 to 59. A decent voting system would reduce them even more. I would vote for more devolution in Wales, but only if they changed the voting system further to make it more proportional - either STV or the present system with a 50:50 split between List and Constituency AMs.

HOLA448

Salmomds ego demands his place in history as PRESIDENT of SCOTLAND so that for a short time ,he will get to swing his dick on the world stage..... The Scottish pond is far too small for this fish .

And when it all goes Pete McTong ( the EU will see to that... < 5 years) he will walk with his pot of gold plated pension and endless round of Hogmanay nights to the highest bidder as Salmond Mc braveheart ,pontificating wrapped and smeared in full woad and kilt , leaving Scotland to drown in its endless political infighting and serial economic incompetence.

At a guess

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

So there we have it! English people would welcome Scottish independence, but nobody can work out what it will cost, or whether EU citizens would need a visa to go there.

HOLA4410

So there we have it! English people would welcome Scottish independence, but nobody can work out what it will cost, or whether EU citizens would need a visa to go there.

I think lots of people have worked out those things quite nicely but there are lots of people with a VI in the Westminster trough who like to pretend it's all a scary unknown.

HOLA4411

I want scotland to vote for independence and quit bitching about it whatever the result.

I then want the rest of the UK to get a vote on the terms of the eventual withdrawal whenever all the muppet politicians on both sides of the border are done staining paper.

HOLA4412

Exactly.

But I think Salmond made an error by specifically trying to make as few reasons to say 'no' as possible...like the EU, keeping the £ etc. That has come back to bite them in the bum as the VI's who have the power over that decision say 'no'. And if they change their minds now, they'll look indecisive and they don't know what they are doing.

Personally I think it would have been better to have painted a picture of being the new Switzerland and tell people frankly that that won't be built in a day and there will be struggles along the way. But in the final analysis it would involve self determination, direct democracy, cantonisation, own currency which may be fixed to £ or $ or Euro, access to markets subject to global trading agreements and ideally a special arrangement with the EU.

You're assuming that's what Salmond wants?

I think that's most unlikely.

More likely to want to be king dick in a pseudo-democracy run by the banks much like the one south of the border IMO.

If the Scots want anything better than that they're going to have to fight for it.

HOLA4413

Archived