House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Hpc Poll For Scots Independence

Before posting this, my feeling is that HPC will be in favour of Scots independence, with most people voting being non-Scots (unfortunately for Salmond, these folks won't get a vote in the real referendum)

So let's see.............

Before posting this, my feeling is that HPC will be in favour of Scots independence, with most people voting being non-Scots (unfortunately for Salmond, these folks won't get a vote in the real referendum)

So let's see.............

I went for the last option, rather than not giving a toss I'd say I don't care much either way, entirely up to the Scottish people.

I doubt it will be the milk and honey they think it will be, up to them if they want to risk finding out. That's not to say it will be a disaster for them either.

The only issue I have currently is they seem to have the best of both worlds at the moment, their own parliament yet get to retain seats in Westminster.

The only issue I have currently is they seem to have the best of both worlds at the moment, their own parliament yet get to retain seats in Westminster.

This is the most important reason they should be cut free in my view, though there are others.

I also think our isles would be more interesting with an independent Scotland, there's always the off chance they might do it right and set an example which Westminster would in time be forced to follow. (though I think doing it right would be difficult - the Scots elite would bring all their influence against it, aided by the Southern elites wishing to avoid any nasty precedents being set north of the border)

This is the most important reason they should be cut free in my view, though there are others.

The tragedy is that it's not really. Or at least, it needn't be.

Of the options currently on the table, I think scottish independence is the best. Especially if they take Northern Ireland, which is after all a mix of Scots and Irish in which neither England nor Wales has any real interest.

But that's only because the alternative of Blair's Broken Constitution is so much worse. If the "better together" campaign could put forward a serious proposal to fix that without independence, it would be a much more interesting question.

Predictably, the first option for me. I also urge all the Welsh/Irish/English supporters of Scottish independence to get themselves registered North of the border before September, and lend us your support by voting YES :D

I'm voting for it for governance reasons.

I would like the same for my English Region. I don't see why anyone on these islands should have less democracy, fewer rights and a quieter voice than anyone else.

I am jealous of the Scots for the unique opportunity they have. They will squander it through fear of the unknown and the vested interests lined up against them.

I agree with this. I am English but live in Scotland so I get to vote. (I put myself as "scot" in the poll above, since voting rights seem more important t ahn nationality for the purposes of this poll?)

D'you reckon we can get Salmond to join HPC?

He might have to put up with being called a few names, but so far he's certainly got the HPC votes in favour of what he wants.(Note I didn't say in his favour).

Only one vote for Union so far!

I'm of English and Irish origin and I say cut the ******* loose and good riddance.

Can we build a wall again?

You can if you want. If you can afford it of course.....

I would like the same for my English Region. I don't see why anyone on these islands should have less democracy, fewer rights and a quieter voice than anyone else.

I am jealous of the Scots for the unique opportunity they have. They will squander it through fear of the unknown and the vested interests lined up against them.

+1

The quality of elected first ministers will be an issue for an independent Scotland.

God knows, the quality of PMs in the UK is problematic enough, and there is theoretically 10 times the choice .

But the Scottish Parliament is full of overpromoted local councilors, and from that lot you need to staff a government.......

I hope scotland gets independance because then the voting dynamics in the rest of the UK go mental against the established order. Conservatives might have a chance of a strong majority with a proper conservative leader.

I hope scotland gets independance because then the voting dynamics in the rest of the UK go mental against the established order. Conservatives might have a chance of a strong majority with a proper conservative leader.

How so?

Oh, I see, you're implying some kind of major difference between the Tories, New Labour and the LibDems.

I think if you check the profiles of the leadership of these parties you'll see any difference is largely rhetorical.

I went for the last option, rather than not giving a toss I'd say I don't care much either way, entirely up to the Scottish people.

ditto.

The only recent fly in the ointment is that the remaining part of the UK will be responsible for the huge debts run up by the Scottish government (aka NuLabour) from 1997 to 2010.

Currently, my favourite tactic is to scare No voters with the likelihood of a tory/UKIP alliance in Westminster. That usually focuses the Scottish mind!

ditto.

The only recent fly in the ointment is that the remaining part of the UK will be responsible for the huge debts run up by the Scottish government (aka NuLabour) from 1997 to 2010.

Which they're already responsible for. Don't get me wrong, that's more of a grouse in the ointment, but how does Scottish independence change that? Especially if, as we have been told for the last 40 years, more id spent in Scotland than is generated? Surely that's a good thing for the rUK?

Unless, of course, we've been lied to ;)

I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it could make a massive difference yes. And so this would make the conservatives pro independance (are they?), or should do. If not, then there's more to this than meets the eye financially.

I'm English and support Scottish independence because of the first university tuition fees vote 2005. If Scotland votes for independence, Labour will never be able to do that to England again.

I'm English and support Scottish independence because of the first university tuition fees vote 2005. If Scotland votes for independence, Labour will never be able to do that to England again.

You didn't notice the Tory/Libdem government tripling the fees a few years later? (Not that I'm defending Labour or the original decision, you understand)

Ditto

I lived in Scotland for a few years. Westminster seems as irrelevant there, as it does where I am now! The rules seem to be made in London for Londoners. Actually the rules seem to be made for people with far more money than I have. Way to go Scotland! ;)

I lived in Scotland for a few years. Westminster seems as irrelevant there, as it does where I am now! The rules seem to be made in London for Londoners. Actually the rules seem to be made for people with far more money than I have. Way to go Scotland! ;)

They're not made for the average Londoner, who is just as screwed as everybody else btw.

They're made for the rich idiots in westminster and the square mile, both of which are seperate cities to London even though they're slap bang in the middle of it, which gives you some idea of the level of division. These people have about as much in common with the average Londoner as they do with the average Scot.

They're not made for the average Londoner, who is just as screwed as everybody else btw.

They're made for the rich idiots in westminster and the square mile, both of which are seperate cities to London even though they're slap bang in the middle of it, which gives you some idea of the level of division. These people have about as much in common with the average Londoner as they do with the average Scot.

I now that! I lived in London for some time! ;)