House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got My First Ever Smart Phone - Help!

Just bought a Moto G 16GB Android phone. Any tips for websites on getting started, helpful forums, and essential apps would be great. I've sorted out the basics (synched with gmail, adding/removing apps, setting the alarm).

Wouldn't mind a couple of good games that aren't tetris style, or driving or fighting....... I'm thinking strategy or (blush) railroad engineer style!!! :)

One question.... the phone goes completely blank when "asleep".... any way to have a "screensaver" with a clock on it?

Hmm.. apps I like?

Retro Camera

Camera 360

Tape-a-Talk (brilliant)

Co-Pilot GPS

ES File Explorer

Kitchen Timer

LBC Radio

Wifi File Transfer (essential)

The only apps I have are google maps and candy crush.

I'm sure it does loads more but I don't want the distractions.

Most of the battery life goes on the screen display so you don't really want a screen saver running, the battery would run out in six hours.

I also have a Moto G. It was initially the 8gb version but when I signed up to Google's Play Music "All Access" service for £10 a month, I realized I didn't have enough space on my phone for music, so switched to the 16gb one.

I recommend...

Opera (for browsing)

Opera Mini (for superfast browsing without the bells and whistles)

Advanced Task Killer (to shut down programs running in the background)

VLC (to watch videos)

Video Box (to "cache" i.e. save YouTube videos on your phone)

File Manager (Explorer)

In terms of strategy games, I can recommend Border Siege, which is basically Risk but with lots of different maps. Great Little War Game is also fun. I am still looking for a game like Civilization Revolution, but no luck yet... although there *is* a sneaky way of playing it on your phone, which involves installing a DS emulator (I.e. DraStic) and then putting the Civ Rev DS ROM file onto your phone.) Unfortunately this method doesn't support multiplayer, otherwise this game would be my all-time favourite strategy game by a long way.

I'm on level 421 Candy Crush.

I need to uninstall it.

You need a visit here ........

I`ve just bought a Galaxy Note 3, I find that the main problem is that people keep phoning me up

I've got a Note 2. Brilliant, apart from having in your pocket. People always comment on its size.

"Yes it's big".

A lot of the above , and also

Astro file manager everything easy to find in one place...

use with

Google drive , drop box , box and sky drive , free cloud storage for your music and stuff (50 gbs worth all together)

Clean master for junk files and history eradication.

WiFi analyser for when your out and about looking for an unsecured connection ,also the cloud fast connect for free commercial BskyB free wifi

osmand maps , offline downloadable maps for use with gps , I prefer to googlemap ofline ,as the info for footpaths are better in pedestrian mode .(10 free downloads)

My tracks for walking stats and links a Googlemap track of where you have been

Audio master floating ......for a floating audio control tab for listening to music while using another app or surfing

Drippler for android focused Tec news in a magazine format

Plume , multiple twitter feed interface

Moto G is great and amazing value.

Pulse news reader

TuneIn radio for loads of radio stations

Rail Planner Live if you use the trains regularly

Bus checker if you travel in London

Hello Expense to track expenses

Splash ID safe to keep passwords/pins securely

Brightest flashlight if you hide in the woods sometimes ph34r.gif

Pocket to save web pages to read another time

I'm on level 421 Candy Crush.

I need to uninstall it.

That's practically finished I thought Sarah, awesome!

I'm on about 190, prev got to 100 and uninstalled but put it back on as only half an hour a day tops.

Office suite pro, for a tenner, allows pretty comprehensive editing of Microsoft office files

Amazing how good it is if you need that kind of thing

Much better than the free alternatives that I tried

Um, Kowabunga!

The app is called Shazam, and it identifies music by listening to it. It still fills me with amazement and wonder to this day, and it's useful too; I use it to identify dance music while listening to mixes on pirate radio...

The app is called Shazam, and it identifies music by listening to it. It still fills me with amazement and wonder to this day, and it's useful too; I use it to identify dance music while listening to mixes on pirate radio...

Yeah, I did google it after my reply :) I had heard of it, but not remembered the name.... very cool app, and great party trick. Bit worrying for pub quizzes though!

I'd recommend the period tracker.

That, Shopto, Nook and a times tables game is about all I have on my phone. The preloaded apps are a sodding nuisance and I can't seem to clear them off the screen.